Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times

Advertisements

Yes, taxis are cheap, but the yellow ones at the border are more expensive. If I take a taxi libre (white taxi) to the border from where I live, it costs $5. If I take a taxi libre van to Zona Centro (downtown) it costs $1, and I take a maroon taxi van to the border, it costs another $1.

Today, I took a taxi libre van downtown, and walked across the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:07 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,527,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Ruta taxis are still going strong.
A full description of taxi routes would be difficult, but perhaps you could pick out the two main routes (Playas and Otay) that would be of interest to a renter trying to get to the border. In particular can you point out what is the closest point of approach to the border.
I think I used to get off on Calle Carrillo Puerto at Negrete cross street and walk to the border from there. But I had to cross the pedestrian bridge so it was a fairly long walk that you wouldn't want to do every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijuana Gringo|probably dated information
"Los Taxis Otay" -- Gold and White to Otay/UABC from Third and Travieso.
"Los Taxis de Playas" -- Amarillo y Blanco -- Cream-Yellow and White to Playas
(3 Daytime Routes, one Late-night) from Third & D.
Rojo y Negro (Red & Black) to La Mesa 5&10 Presa and Clinica, from 4th & Constitution.
Azul y Blanco -- Blue and White to Altamirano and la Villa from 3rd between C & D (take these to get to Casa de la Cultura [or take the bus]). This is also the route to go to the big weekend street market ("sobreruedas") held along Francisco Villa.
Azul y Blanco -- a completely different Blue and White with two completely different routes, one west into Soler (in the West Hills), and one east through Zona Rio to Pueblo Amigo, the border linea, and Libertad; both from Ninos Heroes (C) just before Fourth.
Blanco y Azul (White and Blue -- not to be confused with the various Blue & Whites!) -- these are the taxis which will take you to the cemetery where the tomb of Juan Soldado can be found. From Ninos Heroes (C) between Juarez (2nd) and Puerto (3rd). This taxi site is very near the cathedral and outside the Popo Market.
Verde y Blanco (Green and White) to Mercado Hidalgo, Plaza Rio, Colonia Libertad y Aeropuerto from Constitution and 5th (west of corner, on right).
Rojo y Blanco (Red and White) (their sign says 24 hour service) to Cruz Roja, Price Club, Central Camionera (Main Bus Station) Arenales, Murua and Ejido Chilpancingo, from just east of Ninos Heroes (C) and Quinta (5th) (by Cinema Latina & across from Calimax Supermarket Quinta).
Blanco (White) to Ermita (a street on the near side of La Mesa via Zona Rio and 20 Noviembre, from Ninos Heroes (C) just north of 5th.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
A full description of taxi routes would be difficult, but perhaps you could pick out the two main routes (Playas and Otay) that would be of interest to a renter trying to get to the border. In particular can you point out what is the closest point of approach to the border.
I think I used to get off on Calle Carrillo Puerto at Negrete cross street and walk to the border from there. But I had to cross the pedestrian bridge so it was a fairly long walk that you wouldn't want to do every day.
Its been so long I can't remember. I remember there was one around the corner from a bakery I loved, couldn't even tell you the exact streets. The area around Negrete and Flores Magon has a lot of them, but I believe that area is mostly for those going east. The ones going towards Playa and Rosarito I remember as being west of La Revo, maybe around Septima? I'd take someone else's word for it, I did it mostly by sight, not street name. The guy you copied is probably still mostly correct, I don't think these would change unless the city forced them to go elsewhere.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:02 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,527,976 times
The ABC buses collect people on the southeast side of Plaza Viva Tijuana, and I think there is a local bus to the airport, but as I remember you could catch a "taxi de la ruta" at Pueblo Amigo Plaza but not near the hotel.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,524 times
I would like to move to Mexico and work in San Diego, I am a nurse with two children, can you recommend schools / hospitals I can work and safe neighborhoods?? Please!!

Old 09-16-2014, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,524 times
Default moving to Mexico

I am looking for some direction on employment for LPN and middle schools / good schools in San Diego

Old 06-18-2016, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,677 times
I am going to be moving to Mexico soon. Well to be more exact in Tijuana. I have never been to Mexico ever in my life. I want to work in the United States and live in a border town. Dose anyone have any advice for me. My husband and I have always worked in the United States and don't know much about how to go about this move. Please anyone that has made this move give us some advice. Thanks much appreciated

Old 06-18-2016, 06:49 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
First needs first will be a US Passport to re enter when crossing. You will be crossing back starting at 4AM along with many hundreds of cars (500 or more at a time) of both Americans and Mexican Nationals that also work in the San Diego area.

As for a rental I cannot help in that respect as I have my own home south of Rosarito.

Most places for Rent more then likely will be un furnished while there are a couple of places just north of Rosarito that have furniture and appliances from garage sales in SD of people moving. There is always a large truck full to unload on Thurs morning.

Rent can be from $250 to $500 a month for a 2 BDRM depending on location (latter $ most common).

Utilities will be very reasonable compared to the US.

As for bringing your own furniture do believe it can be brought across now days just no cherished items that might be stolen or broken in the move.

Sky TV or cable about $30 a month with many channels in English and very good movies.

PM me for any specific questions you might have that I can answer.

Been here over 20 years (retired)

Old 06-18-2016, 09:54 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauramorales View Post
I am going to be moving to Mexico soon. Well to be more exact in Tijuana. I have never been to Mexico ever in my life. I want to work in the United States and live in a border town. Dose anyone have any advice for me. My husband and I have always worked in the United States and don't know much about how to go about this move. Please anyone that has made this move give us some advice. Thanks much appreciated
1. Get jobs.
2. Get passports.
3. Get an apartment and get established.
4. If you decide that you really still want to move to Mexico, apply for a Sentri pass.

I'll be surprised if this one post wonder posts again.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:35 PM

16 posts, read 35,251 times
Hello everybody,

We are planning to move to Baja once our lease is due at the end of the year. We just recently move to SD from central US and find housing way over price here. We are lucky to have Sentri bit have never crossed durring AM commute hours. My work is on Federal blvd by Euclid and I clock in by 8am. We have 2 school age kids and we're planing on enrolling them in Chula Vista or just keep them at current school (Franking Elem). We have actually contemplated the idea of enrolling our kids in Mexico so they can improve their Spanish skills. We really enjoy Baja. We go to TJ every chance we get. (movies, food, coffe ��, mercado).
The people I've asked all say we shouldn't worry about the wait crossing as sentri won't take longer than 30min on major US holidays, but that info comes from people that lives in SD not TJ/Baja. We like Playas, Rosarito and lately I've been checking Otay for the commute as it seem that its faster to cross there.
How realistic and safe is it to find a place for no more than $650 unfurnish in those areas. The main reason for the cap on rent price is because my wife will be going back to school and I will be the only income and we'll try to pay the schooling cost without loans.
Other quick questions,
1. How is the am commute from playas or north Rosarito to Sentri? Specially on spring break time and other major holidays.
2. Is $650 or less realistic for San Antonio del Mar and surrounding. For 3Br 1.5ba house? Or is Playas my best bet?
3. How safe is Otay? And morning cross time on spring break and other major holidays?
4. How much are utilities cost?

All of us speak Spanish (our 1st language). My wife is from Mexico and is in the process of getting her credencial de elector.

Thank your for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico