Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Of course they do. But many don't, and also are not within walking distance of a laundromat. A washing machine in Mexico costs about three weeks pay, compared to three days in the USA. Per capita, Mexico's washing machine industry turns about half as many units as the American counterpart. Which, arguably, could indicate that the machines have penetrated no more than half the Mexican households. Modern houses in working class colonias, being built today, still have a pila in the back. I've seen them.

Similarly, "many people in Mexico own cars". But that doesn't mean that walking is not widespread, particularly compared with the USA. When I walk the 6 blocks from my house to the market in Mexico, I pass maybe 100 people walking. Here in the USA, when I walk 25 minutes to the supermarket, I see nobody on foot. Usually not a single pedestrian.
I completely agree with you jtur. You reminded me that though my family on both sides own a washing machine, they also own a lavadero. It is far more common to see homes with lavaderos than washing machines. It takes a lot of time to wash clothes on those lavaderos, much more time consuming when you use both.

Regarding transportation, I also agree that there are many people that walk or take the bus or combi rather than buying a car. Those buses or combis can get packed to the point where people stand up in the isles all the way to the door. They transfer combis here and there. Walk to where they need to go and back on the bus or the light train, etc. Many places in Mexico are so convenient when it comes to transportation. Nonetheless, it would take you half the time if you had a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I realize what forum it is, and I realize how nice Mexico is - but you do paint another picture of your country in that other forum. I am the first one to admit (everywhere) that Mexico is a nice country with a much lower unemployment rate and high standard of living for those who make the effort.
I'll remind you again that this post has nothing to do with the OP. Thanks for trying.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
Not to generalize too much, but it seems Americans have been more indoctrinated by society on all levels to be "efficient", to find ways to save time and do things easier and faster. My limited observations in Mexico is that there is much less concern about this, that people are less focused on how long it takes to get something done and there isn't a lot of thought given to "how can I get this 1 hour task done in 45 minutes?".
I agree. The US has a protocol even for the simplest of tasks. When that protocol no longer serves its function, staff meet to communicate and reorganize, implementing new more "efficient" protocol.

In Mexico, there are protocols but hardly revised and as old as... And when someone challenges the protocol, they are faced with so much opposition. Such was the case of the lawyer I mentioned in the first page. Instead of being open to revising and improving the system after the lawyer did all the research for them (told them exactly what was not working), they want to investigate the lawyer's motive for wanting change and improving the system.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,758 times
I think people tried to just analyze this with their own antecodtal evidence, and not think of this a bit more objectively. Mexicans work harder than most others because real wages are low, and costs of living are high... to survive many MUST work hard. Mexico isn't the affordable place it once was,... big Mexican cities are comparable to big U.S. cities in terms of cost of living, but real wages are not even a third of that.

This isn't some sort of merit badge. And it's also not an opportunity to bash or stereotype Mexican people as a whole. It's just a sad fact of life in Mexico.

Japan and Portugal have different stories, I guess. I'm not 100% well versed.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
I think people tried to just analyze this with their own antecodtal evidence, and not think of this a bit more objectively. Mexicans work harder than most others because real wages are low, and costs of living are high... to survive many MUST work hard. Mexico isn't the affordable place it once was,... big Mexican cities are comparable to big U.S. cities in terms of cost of living, but real wages are not even a third of that.
Well I don't live there but I was under the impression that Mexicans are not typically paid hourly but daily wages so how does working a longer day bring in more wages? Does a Mexican that works 9 hours in a day make more than one that works 8 hours? Do Mexicans get to just work longer hours whenever they want more money?

And that certainly wouldn't explain why they spend longer working for themselves unpaid.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I thnk if you look many countires worked hard on average when they were that their lowest points. Certainly people in the US worked hard in the past. That doesn't mean they actually produced more which is what counts.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:31 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,906 times
Just because they "work" hard does not mean they are smart or anything.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Just because they "work" hard does not mean they are smart or anything.
But it might mean that any good things that come their way are earned or deserved.

Just because Americans are born in the USA doesn't make them smart or anything.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:45 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But it might mean that any good things that come their way are earned or deserved.

Just because Americans are born in the USA doesn't make them smart or anything.
Yep, you are right.

But even then most Mexicans I know that work long hours in Mexico. Still a lot. So they deserve something bad and not good.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
You know, I'm pretty sick of you! Really. I've been reading the "Mexico" section of this forum for years and you always pop in with some insulting thing to say either about Mexico or its people.

Why do you do that? Does it make you feel better? Makes you puff out your chest and say I'm better then those idiot Mexicans?

I, for the life of me, don't understand people like you that contribute to a thread with nothing positive or nice to say. I can't imagine what you'd be like in person.
Really what would you expect on a thread like this one where Mexicans - mostly Mexicans living in the USA start thumping their chests about their superiority? People will tend to challenge that especially people who have seen the way many Mexicans have servants because they can't even wash their own dishes or make their own beds.

Mexico isn't bad at all --- but it can be a bit strange to say the least that the biggest braggers are those who refuse to live there.

If this forum was between real Mexicans who love their country and live in it and Americans it could be a more honest discussion. Instead it's ex-pat Americans who dislike the USA for whatever reason but made their money in the USA, and pochos living the good life in the USA but wanting to feel superior to American citizens. I have never encountered people in Mexico who discuss these issues from that angle of superiority - its something quite different.

And I would guess most real Mexicans, who do live in and truly love their country don't bother with this forum much and would mostly puke.

Last edited by malamute; 04-24-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico