Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoy1 View Post
I just don't understand your logic, "if I care about my race I should live back there". So, just because I'm in the USA right now, I shouldn't or don't care about "my race"(as you call it? LOL) ?...

Can you see how at every opportunity you want to tell Mexicans to go back to Mexico? why don't you say the same thing to white immigrants?
Just saying if you really want to know about your country and your people, you would want to live there and really know about it.

No one really learns about Mexico while living in the USA, you have to travel to Mexico, study there, live there. Sometimes it's about more than easy money.

I met a guy in Chihuahua who said that he worked a summer in Wisconsin. He thought the farms were lush and green, the people were friendly but he discovered that he could never be happy outside of his country, his Mexico. No amount of money could make him prefer another country to his own, he said he'd rather be poor and live the life of a Mexican than rich in another land. He talked about his soul belonging to Mexico, it needed to be there. So he returned.

Now no American is going to meet that kind of guy in the USA obviously. If you don't go to Mexico you meet a different type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 01:37 PM

70 posts, read 129,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Just saying if you really want to know about your country and your people, you would want to live there and really know about it.

No one really learns about Mexico while living in the USA, you have to travel to Mexico, study there, live there. Sometimes it's about more than easy money.

I met a guy in Chihuahua who said that he worked a summer in Wisconsin. He thought the farms were lush and green, the people were friendly but he discovered that he could never be happy outside of his country, his Mexico. No amount of money could make him prefer another country to his own, he said he'd rather be poor and live the life of a Mexican than rich in another land. He talked about his soul belonging to Mexico, it needed to be there. So he returned.

Now no American is going to meet that kind of guy in the USA obviously. If you don't go to Mexico you meet a different type.
Yes, no American is going to meet that kind of guy I concur with that, but at the same time every person is different and you fail to see that. You generalize too much in favor of your anti-Mexican immigration views.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:21 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,264 times
Quote:

Actually you can learn about Mexico while living in the U.S since some cities in the U.S are just an extension of Mexico like Los Angeles and El Paso for example. You try getting a job in these cities if you don't know how to speak Spanish.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:10 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Actually you can learn about Mexico while living in the U.S since some cities in the U.S are just an extension of Mexico like Los Angeles and El Paso for example. You try getting a job in these cities if you don't know how to speak Spanish.
Not sure I agree with that comment (with the exception of El Paso and most other cities along the US-Mexican border).

Just because some cities such as Los Angeles, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, San Diego, etc have a large Mexican population does not mean that you can accurately learn about life in Mexico just by living in those cities since many Mexican Americans living there are Americanized after having family live there for years plus you also have Hondurans, Salvadoreans, Guatemalans, living in those cities as well.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:29 PM

70 posts, read 129,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Not sure I agree with that comment (with the exception of El Paso and most other cities along the US-Mexican border).

Just because some cities such as Los Angeles, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, San Diego, etc have a large Mexican population does not mean that you can accurately learn about life in Mexico just by living in those cities since many Mexican Americans living there are Americanized after having family live there for years plus you also have Hondurans, Salvadoreans, Guatemalans, living in those cities as well.
they are narrow minded people, they just want to say something anti-Mexican and feel good with that for all they lack in real life...

Old 05-21-2011, 03:54 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,479 times
Quote:
Add San Antonio. A Mexican friend of mine is the widow of an American and she has to go to San Antonio for a month every 6 months to receive SS widows' benefits. She speaks English but must translate English into Spanish for the nuns who own the hotel where she stays. She couldn't believe so many speak Spanish in a U.S. town and know very little English.

Texas was once part of Mexico and might be returning to it.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:15 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,479 times
Quote:
If you really cared so much about your "race" you would be living back there.

I think an important distinction should be made between real Mexicans who love their country and live in it, work to make it better should be made between those who do everything to get out of it and break any laws here that get in the way.

Of course there are great people in Mexico. Just you have to go to Mexico to meet them. Rarely will you meet the real Mexicans in the USA, but sometimes you do because they are studying or visiting here.
I agree there are great people in Mexico. The majority of the Mexican people are. What does that have to do with "If you really cared about your "race"'? Can't Mexicans be great people in another country?

I live in Mexico but my family entered North America 100 years before it was the U.S. If I cared about my race should I live in Ireland, Wales, England?

Funny how us White People can live anywhere, invade anywhere, take over anywhere and no one thinks it's because we don't care about our race. They think it's because we're jerks.

Mexico cares far more about foreigners than the U.S. does. Mexico allows us to join its Medicare type health plan (IMSS) for less than $300 a year and that covers 100% of medical and drugs. For those who can't get IMSS, Calderon has instituted Seguro Popular that is free for most participants and covers all dental, medical and some drugs.

Hell will freeze over before the U.S. provides any insurance for foreigners.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:43 PM

469 posts, read 1,256,715 times
It's nonsense to say that Mexicans should only live in Mexico, just as it would be nonsense to say the same about Americans or citizens of any country. Earth is my home – our home – and borders are fake. Nobody's god created a border, ever. The sooner we all recognize our co-dependence and shared responsibility for an undivided Mother Earth, the better. Movement encourages awareness, and that 's a good thing. While it may be a little unsettling at first to freely co-habitate, you'd better get used to it, because sooner or later that's how it's gonna be, whether you like it or not! Progress does not go backwards, and people are starting to enjoy this new global mingling!

"Always ride the horse in the direction it's going."

Old 05-22-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
But not really -- in those cities you meet that certain subgroup *from* Mexico which is very materialistic and has little respect for laws of our country. They don't represent the people who live in Mexico who may actually love their country very much, are working to improve themselves and their country while in their country and don't care to live in any other country.

My point is that most Americans haven't traveled or lived in Mexico and get their impressions of Mexico and Mexicans from those people who left it - and they are not a good representation of their country. They make for a very poor image of their homeland. Americans see the hordes of Spanish speakers in the ER waiting rooms, the welfare offices, using their food stamp cards, protesting this and that because they believe they are above the laws, and they think that's what Mexico and it's people are all about. That isn't really fair to those people who are in Mexico that don't do any of that ever.

If you travel and spend time in Mexico, that's where you meet a more noble type of person, a truly patriotic kind of Mexican, those who live their pride in their country.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
I agree there are great people in Mexico. The majority of the Mexican people are. What does that have to do with "If you really cared about your "race"'? Can't Mexicans be great people in another country?

I live in Mexico but my family entered North America 100 years before it was the U.S. If I cared about my race should I live in Ireland, Wales, England?

Funny how us White People can live anywhere, invade anywhere, take over anywhere and no one thinks it's because we don't care about our race. They think it's because we're jerks.

Mexico cares far more about foreigners than the U.S. does. Mexico allows us to join its Medicare type health plan (IMSS) for less than $300 a year and that covers 100% of medical and drugs. For those who can't get IMSS, Calderon has instituted Seguro Popular that is free for most participants and covers all dental, medical and some drugs.

Hell will freeze over before the U.S. provides any insurance for foreigners.
First of all, many Mexicans are white so trying to play the race card is silly.

Mexico is just as much a land of immigrants but that doesn't mean it doesn't have immigration laws, it does and so do we.

Good American tourists respect the laws and the culture of Mexico and other countries they choose to visit. Would you respect a group of Americans who went to Mexico illegally and began to stomp their feet about what was owed them just for having broken Mexico's laws? And no - they would give the USA a terrible image, one that wouldn't be fair to the rest of the USA.

I seriously doubt that the taxpayers of Mexico are going along with some unlimited welfare and free health care plan, food stamps and free housing for indigent Americans and everyone else who want to go there and live the high life. In fact, I would lose respect for them if they did that -- that would be very foolish.

One good thing about Mexico is that it isn't a country of handouts, and that leads to a better work ethic -- for the people living in that country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico