Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoy1 View Post
Yes, no American is going to meet that kind of guy I concur with that, but at the same time every person is different and you fail to see that. You generalize too much in favor of your anti-Mexican immigration views.
Not all illegals are the same - that is true, and they have a variety of reasons for being in the USA illegally, some will work for anything they get, others don't have much of a work ethic, some are nothing but criminals - but all the same the illegals are not a good representative sample of the people of Mexico but they are what Americans see on an everyday and firsthand basis and so lead to the poor and deteriorating image of Mexico and it's people.

It's too bad more Americans don't travel around Mexico, at least to the areas away from the border because they would get a different impression of the country itself. The lack of starving people in the streets for example, the nice universities and smiling school children. And the level of education and standard of living that so many people in Mexico have.

Ironically you meet more Mexicans in Mexico who can speak more languages than just Spanish, if they've studied English they speak it properly, but you don't tend to meet them in the USA where we get the types who are very resistant to learning English or any other language. Mexico is a lot more academic than people in the USA think.

And I'll add, I think the reverse is also true. The American spring-break types can give a terrible image of Americans to Mexicans - and other countries they hold their wild parties. I've been in Mexico and seen them in action, and been embarassed by them - and I avoid the ugly American tourist like the plague although I think most American tourists are well behaved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 11:26 AM

950 posts, read 1,515,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not all illegals are the same - that is true, and they have a variety of reasons for being in the USA illegally, some will work for anything they get, others don't have much of a work ethic, some are nothing but criminals - but all the same the illegals are not a good representative sample of the people of Mexico but they are what Americans see on an everyday and firsthand basis and so lead to the poor and deteriorating image of Mexico and it's people.

It's too bad more Americans don't travel around Mexico, at least to the areas away from the border because they would get a different impression of the country itself. The lack of starving people in the streets for example, the nice universities and smiling school children. And the level of education and standard of living that so many people in Mexico have.

Ironically you meet more Mexicans in Mexico who can speak more languages than just Spanish, if they've studied English they speak it properly, but you don't tend to meet them in the USA where we get the types who are very resistant to learning English or any other language. Mexico is a lot more academic than people in the USA think.

And I'll add, I think the reverse is also true. The American spring-break types can give a terrible image of Americans to Mexicans - and other countries they hold their wild parties. I've been in Mexico and seen them in action, and been embarassed by them - and I avoid the ugly American tourist like the plague although I think most American tourists are well behaved.
If Mexico is so academic than how many Mexicians have won a nobel prize in math, science, or medicine ?

Among the top 100 best universities in the world, how many are located in Mexico ?

Old 05-22-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
If Mexico is so academic than how many Mexicians have won a nobel prize in math, science, or medicine ?

Among the top 100 best universities in the world, how many are located in Mexico ?
Have you ever hung around some university area in Mexico?

One thing I think stands out in Mexico is how many people you see reading newspapers. Even the humble poor people would read -- those little comic books and maybe they weren't highly educated but they seemed to like reading while on a bus or train, or waiting for one, in the cafes and so on.

Have you ever gone to Mexico and discussed politics or various issues with people you encounter there? Not everybody of course, just like in the USA you find people totally apathetic about current issues but I actually think in Mexico you find a higher percentage of people who are interested than in the USA.

The image of Mexico itself and the people living there that most Americans have is not accurate. You also have to get a little beyond the tourist areas, off the tourist strips and talk to people.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Have you ever hung around some university area in Mexico?

One thing I think stands out in Mexico is how many people you see reading newspapers. Even the humble poor people would read -- those little comic books and maybe they weren't highly educated but they seemed to like reading while on a bus or train, or waiting for one, in the cafes and so on.

Have you ever gone to Mexico and discussed politics or various issues with people you encounter there? Not everybody of course, just like in the USA you find people totally apathetic about current issues but I actually think in Mexico you find a higher percentage of people who are interested than in the USA.

The image of Mexico itself and the people living there that most Americans have is not accurate. You also have to get a little beyond the tourist areas, off the tourist strips and talk to people.
You still haven't answered my questions. Also if Mexico is so academic, it would be just like Japan or South Korea when it comes to Nonwhite countries that are prosperous and highly intelligent.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
You still haven't answered my questions. Also if Mexico is so academic, it would be just like Japan or South Korea when it comes to Nonwhite countries that are prosperous and highly intelligent.
Mexico is actually quite wealthy. It's among the 14th richest nations, and it's average income is not low by international standards.

Mexico competes with Great Britain in number of billionaires, the world's richest man is in Mexico.

On the World Bank's Chart the national incomes show the USA to be not especially high - we're only ranked at 18 out of 213 nations listed, Mexico is at 78 -- well above many nations. Of course you can't compare by just that because the cost of living is much much higher in the USA, you can live well on much less in Mexico where most people don't have to worry about heating costs in the winter and they don't have our high tax rates.

Mexico's middle class is growing while ours is shrinking fast.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Mexico is actually quite wealthy. It's among the 14th richest nations, and it's average income is not low by international standards.

Mexico competes with Great Britain in number of billionaires, the world's richest man is in Mexico.

On the World Bank's Chart the national incomes show the USA to be not especially high - we're only ranked at 18 out of 213 nations listed, Mexico is at 78 -- well above many nations. Of course you can't compare by just that because the cost of living is much much higher in the USA, you can live well on much less in Mexico where most people don't have to worry about heating costs in the winter and they don't have our high tax rates.

Mexico's middle class is growing while ours is shrinking fast.
So the standard of living in Mexico is equal to that of Japan and South Korea ? The average Mexican is as equally book smart as the average Japanese and South Korean ?

Mexico is a majority middle class country just like Japan and South Korea ?

Old 05-22-2011, 03:11 PM

70 posts, read 129,524 times
Quote:
So the standard of living in Mexico is equal to that of Japan and South Korea ? The average Mexican is as equally book smart as the average Japanese and South Korean ?

LMAO: "books smart as the average Japanese and South Korean"...what about you? how you compare with them(with the Japanese or South Koreans)? why don't you compare YOUR "book smartness" and not that of the Japanese or South Koreans?

someone has an inferiority complex on this board, no wonder your attitude towards Mexicans...

Last edited by yosoy1; 05-22-2011 at 03:20 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 03:21 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,727 times
Quote:

I agree with yosoy1, you have a problem. Travel in Mexico, get to know the people and then make ridiculous comparisons.

I know one thing for sure, no one can beat Mexicans in repairing anything, doing construction, and just plain figuring out how things work. Mexico hasn't had the advantage of Japan and S. Korea, that is, having the U.S. develop the country. Japan and S. Korea would still be feudal countries if the U.S. hadn't developed them.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
I agree with yosoy1, you have a problem. Travel in Mexico, get to know the people and then make ridiculous comparisons.

I know one thing for sure, no one can beat Mexicans in repairing anything, doing construction, and just plain figuring out how things work. Mexico hasn't had the advantage of Japan and S. Korea, that is, having the U.S. develop the country. Japan and S. Korea would still be feudal countries if the U.S. hadn't developed them.
If Mexicans were on average so smart you wouldn't have millions of Mexicans who have been living in the U.S for over a decade, and yet still speak little to no English.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:28 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,727 times
Quote:
If Mexicans were on average so smart you wouldn't have millions of Mexicans who have been living in the U.S for over a decade, and yet still speak little to no English.
I doubt there are millions of Mexicans who have lived in the U.S. for decades who speak little or no English. For those who speak little English, it's because they don't need to. English is a difficult language to learn. Spanish is much easier. I know Mexicans who taught themselves English because the got tired of reading subtitles on TV. Most TV programs and movies in MX are in English with Spanish subtitles.

I studied Spanish in school and have lived in Mexico for 6 years, yet my Spanish is equal to a Spanish speaking two year old. There are some not very bright people who easily pick up new languages and some bright people who have difficulty learning a new language. JFK studied French yet could never master it. Ask physicists how many languages they speak and few, except for Europeans, can speak any foreign languages. Few people in the U.S. can speak a foreign language yet Europeans commonly speak several.

I.Q., by the way, is the ability to think, deductive reasoning. Proving, unbeknownst to you, that you don't know what the measurement of intelligence is.

Where is the study that proved that millions of Mexicans living in the U.S. can't speak English? I think you have a real hatred of Mexicans or that is the fav for now and when that is passé, you will move onto another group to hate.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico