Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:30 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,566 times

Advertisements

Can any Mexican enlighten me on what the laws are? Can I go to Mexico and look for treasure. And say that I do manage to find treasure. Can I take it back to the states without declaring it to the Mexican authorities? What are the procedures? Say I found some Aztec piece that is rare but small. I can easily hide it and I found it on public land. Can I keep it and sell it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 04:06 PM

Nothing? So none of you know anything?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,340,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Can any Mexican enlighten me on what the laws are? Can I go to Mexico and look for treasure. And say that I do manage to find treasure. Can I take it back to the states without declaring it to the Mexican authorities? What are the procedures? Say I found some Aztec piece that is rare but small. I can easily hide it and I found it on public land. Can I keep it and sell it?
Of course you cannot treasure hunt in Mexico and remove from Mexico any ancient artifacts. Go to Egypt and try it.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Of course you cannot treasure hunt in Mexico and remove from Mexico any ancient artifacts. Go to Egypt and try it.
Ok, say you find some golden coins that were used as money back then. Can you keep that?

Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Ok, say you find some golden coins that were used as money back then. Can you keep that?
Gold coins?

I guess if you find the "money" the Aztecs used, you can declare it and keep it.

Quote:
The Aztecs were definitely an advanced people since they knew about the value of money. Several kinds of money were used by the Aztecs and the cacao bean was one of the regular money used by the Aztecs. For example, a small rabbit would cost a person around thirty cacao beans, but if a man were to sell his own child (especially a daughter), that man would gain about 600 cacao beans. Remember that selling one’s own child was common for them and they even regarded self sacrificing one’s self as the highest honor a warrior can get.

Other than the cacao beans, the Aztecs used quachtli; a type of cloth that the Aztecs really treasured. It is said that this type of cotton cloth was more valued than the cacao beans and if a common man were given ten quachtli, than man can live for half a year in Tenochtitlan.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Gold coins?

I guess if you find the "money" the Aztecs used, you can declare it and keep it.
And what if I found jewelry that is old?

What if I don't want to declare it? I know the authorities would just steal from me, if I were to.....

Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,024 times
you can not keep nothing archeological from Mexico, is a felony.

now, about coins, only if they were made after the conquer.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
And what if I found jewelry that is old?

What if I don't want to declare it? I know the authorities would just steal from me, if I were to.....
Steal it from you? You want to enter Mexico and illegally take Mexican artifacts, but you think that if you report what you find, and it is confiscated because it belongs to Mexico, they are stealing.

You would be the thief and stealing from the country of Mexico.

If you get caught leaving the country with Mexican artifacts, you could spend a long time in prison.

If you want to vacation for a few years in a Mexican prison where you have to provide your own clothing and food, go for it but I would suggest seeking a psychiatric evaluation first before instituting this grand plan.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Steal it from you? You want to enter Mexico and illegally take Mexican artifacts, but you think that if you report what you find, and it is confiscated because it belongs to Mexico, they are stealing.

You would be the thief and stealing from the country of Mexico.

If you get caught leaving the country with Mexican artifacts, you could spend a long time in prison.

If you want to vacation for a few years in a Mexican prison where you have to provide your own clothing and food, go for it but I would suggest seeking a psychiatric evaluation first before instituting this grand plan.
Ok so I will stick to coins only......and yes the authorities would steal from me if I were to declare it.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:28 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,965 times
Can I hunt for Big Foot in Mexico. Do I need a license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico