U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:19 PM

972 posts, read 2,452,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
There are millions who cross the border every year. We hear of problems from the media but I've never read a post from one person on any of the numerous Mexico/Gringo websites who reported that he or she had reason to feel unsafe or was in any danger when crossing the border and driving through Mexico.

Feeling unsafe and being in danger are not the same.

The point is that almost all the violent crime is cartel related. Stay out of the drug business and foreigners will have few if any problems.
Have you been in Nuevo Laredo at 9 PM? I have, the city streets are empty and you can see only suspects in pick ups or suv's, now if the city is secure, this wouldn't happen.

We feel unsafe because we are in danger, maybe nothing happens, but the fact is those cities are dominated by criminals.

About the death reports, thousands of missing people's (death already) are not reported as deaths, so they are just missing for the authorities, so this information you provide don't say the truth.

Believe me, I am committed with my country but cannot be blind to the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 PM

10,770 posts, read 14,369,254 times
You can nitpick murders per capita all day long, but the fact remains you are trying to compare an tomato to a watermelon. The US is over 3,700,000 square miles in size. Over 3,500.000 square miles is in land alone. Nearly 200,000 square miles is water and there is nearly 13,000 miles of coastline. . .

The Canadian border is over 5,500 miles wide. The Mexiican border is 2,000 miles wide.

The population in Mexico is 112M. The US population is 308M not including unidentified illegals.
There are 48 contiguous states and more than 35,000 cities, towns and villages in the US - not counting Hawaii or Alaska or any territorial possessions. In Mexico I found 32 Estados that contained 24 or less settlements - I use this word loosely as city, town and village is not defined. .

There is a stark difference between Mexico and the United States. I don't have to sneak over the border under the cover of night and break Mexican laws to enter illegally. I don't have to fear deportation or the Mexican Policia. And I don't have to live there.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:56 PM

8,270 posts, read 5,833,353 times
Quote:
Imagine....111 people out of the nearly 8 million visitors (about 1 million of whom make Mexico their full-time home).

You know who else had 111 murders in one year? Well, Boston for starters.
While I agree that danger in tourism to Mexico is greatly overhyped, taking subsets of one group for a country and comparing them to a non-qualified group from various cities is completely irrelevant statistically, and any author using it to make a point is attempting to bend numbers to suit an agenda.

One can slice and dice areas all they want and certainly make valid points about likelihood of becoming a victim as a tourist or in Mexico City vs. Juarez etc. but if an attempt is being made to support the assertion that Mexico is safer than the United States just go to homicide rates here:

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mexico = 18
United States = 5

Does that mean it is dangerous to be a tourist in Mexico? No.
Does that mean it is safer in Detroit than Mexico City? No.

But it certainly doesn't support the claim that Mexico is statistically safer than the United States, as that email claimed.

We're heading back to Rocky Point next week, cheers everyone!

Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM

1,181 posts, read 1,440,016 times
The statistics were comparing murder rates by population. For some reason some of you want to compare each city.

It looks like the natives or possibly the cartels are cleaning up problem areas on their own:

21 Bodies Found With Warning Notes in Western Mexico | The Jakarta Globe

Quote:
Morella, Mexico. At least 21 bodies have been found strewn in the streets just outside this western Mexican city, and in every case the perpetrators left a warning note, the state prosecutor told AFP.

The bodies, all males between the ages of 25 and 30, were found in different areas just outside the city limits of Morelia, in Michoacan state, said state prosecutor Jesus Montejano.

Taking the unusual step of releasing the contents of the warning notes, Montejano said the message was: "Because society asked for it, this is going to happen to those who continue to rob houses, kidnappers and rapists."

Old 06-09-2011, 03:38 PM

972 posts, read 2,452,166 times
Quote:

It looks like the natives or possibly the cartels are cleaning up problem areas on their own:

21 Bodies Found With Warning Notes in Western Mexico | The Jakarta Globe
Those are just B.S.

Cartels only see to clean up for their only benefit. Some people still believe there are good and bad cartels, not true, all are criminals, violent and don't do any thing for the good of the country.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You can nitpick murders per capita all day long, but the fact remains you are trying to compare an tomato to a watermelon. The US is over 3,700,000 square miles in size. Over 3,500.000 square miles is in land alone. Nearly 200,000 square miles is water and there is nearly 13,000 miles of coastline. . .

The Canadian border is over 5,500 miles wide. The Mexiican border is 2,000 miles wide.

The population in Mexico is 112M. The US population is 308M not including unidentified illegals.
There are 48 contiguous states and more than 35,000 cities, towns and villages in the US - not counting Hawaii or Alaska or any territorial possessions. In Mexico I found 32 Estados that contained 24 or less settlements - I use this word loosely as city, town and village is not defined. .

There is a stark difference between Mexico and the United States. I don't have to sneak over the border under the cover of night and break Mexican laws to enter illegally. I don't have to fear deportation or the Mexican Policia. And I don't have to live there.
What do square miles have to do with population?

Mexico has 31 states and a federal district. Do the amount of states have something to do with crime?

Quote:
I found 32 Estados that contained 24 or less settlements - I use this word loosely as city, town and village is not defined.
The two least populated Mexican states each have more than 600,000 people. Do the number of "settlements" have something to do with crime? What is better, more settlements or less?

Quote:
I don't have to sneak over the border under the cover of night and break Mexican laws to enter illegally. I don't have to fear deportation or the Mexican Policia. And I don't have to live there.
Got news for you, there are many foreigners living illegally in Mexico. The police (insultingly written "Policia") do not check papers to see if someone is legal or not. That is a federal job. Mexico doesn't really care if someone is illegal as long as the person stays out of trouble and can support himself.

I missed the part where someone asked you to live in Mexico. You don't have to live in Mexico, Canada, the U.S., Iceland or any place else. The foreigners living in Mexico do so because we want to live here. When you have ice and snow, we have spring weather (where I am), when you have over 100 degree days, we have high 70's. We don't miss the heat or cold.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:34 PM

50 posts, read 92,737 times
Just speaking from experience, I have lived in Guadalajara since 2005 and while it's arguably a city that sees less criminal violence than other areas of Mexico, it's still the second-largest metropolis in the country. Sometimes it actually surprises me how safe this city feels considering how large and overcrowed it is. I'll note that I live in one of the nicer areas of the city and I don't venture outside of this area often.

But in any case, although I have had things taken from me here on several occasions, which is more than I can say for my hometown of Denver, I have never been mugged or been subject to any violence here.

Granted, Guadalajara has seem some recent events that has pretty much disqualified it from the 'peacekeeper' city list, but regardless I feel safer walking around my neighborhood in GDL at night than I do in many US cities (New Orleans comes to mind). So while I don't necessarily agree that Mexico is statistically safer, it's just like with the US in that it depends a lot on where you are in the country and whether or not you go looking for trouble. I do agree with what others have said in that Mexicans are very passive and just keep to themselves if anything is amiss. Which is understandable to some degree, but sad that they generally aren't willing to help out one another in a dire situation.

The traffic here is something else altogether and drivers here are very reckless and aggressive, pretty much disregarding pedestrians and their well-being altogether. Although it seems to be a little worse in the larger cities, the horrendous traffic seems common throughout the country.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRocKeR View Post
Just speaking from experience, I have lived in Guadalajara since 2005 and while it's arguably a city that sees less criminal violence than other areas of Mexico, larger cities, the horrendous traffic seems common throughout the country.
You should add that you are a young, American male so that some readers will not think that you are not a target of violent crime because you are Mexican.

In Mexico pedestrians do not have the right of way which has cost a few foreigners their lives.

The trick to driving in Guadalajara is to go straight to Costco, Sam's, Wal-Mart, etc., then turn around and go home. Don't take any side trips.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:47 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,506,515 times
Quote:
I doubt you have ever been to Mexico. You certainly don't live in Mexico. Everything you write is to bash Mexico and to prove ignorance of any facts.

This wasn't about all crime. It was about murders and murders are hard not to report.

The Mexican economy is better right now than the U.S. economy so you have proven once again you get your ideas from your prejudiced beliefs and not facts.

Until the event of the cartels in the last few years, most crime in Mexico was property crime and violent crime was rare. The U.S. has always had more violent crime, but as jbcmh81 astutely posted even crime in the U.S. is down and this is during an economic depression.

Why do you get so offended for? Mexican and American culture and society are entirely different. You see here in the states. People get punished for committing crime whereas in Mexico they don't.

I have been to Mexico enough times to know what it is like.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Why do you get so offended for? Mexican and American culture and society are entirely different. You see here in the states. People get punished for committing crime whereas in Mexico they don't.

I have been to Mexico enough times to know what it is like.
Are you saying you have been to Mexico enough times (meaning zero times) so that means you know zero about it?

You started a thread about Mexico expanding a prison that you think will harm the environment. If no one is punished in Mexico, isn't that in conflict with the thread you started concerning the expansion of a prison?

True, the U.S. does imprison more of its people than any other developed country in the world. The U.S. wants revenge for any slight, and nothing can be forgiven or overlooked. There must be justice and everyone must be punished. Isn't that something to puff up your chest over.

Mexico's violent crime is mostly limited to the cartels. Mexico doesn't have the random violence found in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico