U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 AM

18 posts, read 40,337 times
Default Meds

I was in Mexico and needed my U.S Rx meds. I had them forwarded by one of those post office box companies from the U.S. because my mail order pharmacy will not send meds to other countries. U.P.S. in Mexico confiscated them in Guadalahara and phoned me, they told me they could not allow them to be imported into Mexico until I had form filed with the Health Department; I went to the local Health Department and got the form so that I can receive my meds in Mexico. This occurred in April of 2011, in Puerto Vallarta. I had done much research prior to my trip, no one ever mentioned this form; unless you experience it, I suppose you would never know! Also it could vary by region, I was told it was the American Government that required Mexico to use this form for medications entering Mexico (the war on drugs)! Good luck, it's a great life in Mexico, you can get their Health Insurance for $399.00 a year but you may have to meet some residency requirements. There have been a few books written on moving to Mexico, each has a few tips that are worth the read; many on disability go down there to stretch their dollars so I don't quite understand all the posts here about it, my bad. We heard a lot of good things about the Lake Chappala area, we are going to check that area out, also Merida.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 12:37 PM

1,184 posts, read 1,458,818 times
Most medicines are inexpensive in Mexico and it is very difficult to have medicines from the U.S. brought into Mexico. About the only way is to have a friend bring them and hope that they friend doesn't get caught.

If someone needs strong pain killers, forget it. Do not try bring them into Mexico especially by a friend and do not move to Mexico if you must have them.

It's easier to see a Mexican doctor for prescribed medicines and most do not need a prescription anyway.

IMSS covers 100% of all medical including medicine but it will not pay for many preexisting conditions so don't apply if you need an organ transplant of have a disease like AIDS. IMSS will take your money and then cancel you without a refund when it finds out anything was preexisting.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,167 times
Steve, you still in Rosarito? I also am Veteran who served in the Navy. I have a family of 3, my wife and 2 daughters. We are considering a move to Rosarito and would like to know how to obtain my VA Meds since I am 100% PTD and I collect SSD. My wife has a green card and she is from Mexico but never really remembers much since she came here when she was very young. We got married while I was in the Navy and stationed in San Diego from 02/06. We do have furniture etc and are willing to sell it in order to buy again once we arrive. We have a nice car, not sure if I should worry about that being jacked while out and about. Safety is my number one concern if you know what I mean. Please tell me all about the area, places to rent within a gated community and shopping etc. Schools for our kids when they get a bit older within a few years. I have so much to ask you! =0) Any advice would be much appreciated and thank you for your time!

Seth

Old 03-23-2012, 01:59 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,942,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman916 View Post
Hello,

I am seriously contemplating relocation to Mexico and living on my Social Security disability. My questions are;

1. Can I have my Medicare meds sent into Mexico? and
2. Which cities would come closest to meeting the following criteria;
a. Affordable
b. Temperate Climate
c. 20,000-175,000 People
d. Within 75 miles of Beaches (No resort or touristy type places)

Thank you for any suggestions you might have and all information you share.

goodman916
My daughter is on SSD, and wanted to move to Florida. SS told her that if she leaves the state she is in, she will have to wait one year, before she can open the case in Florida, without pay.

Now, leaving the USA maybe even harder, you better check carefully, or you may be in for a shock......

Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM

5,200 posts, read 9,921,674 times
USN PDT Retired. Yes, I'm still here 16 yrs next month. Left my E-Mail adderess for you. Will answer what I can. Steve

Old 03-24-2012, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 20,728 times
Default Disability in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
My daughter is on SSD, and wanted to move to Florida. SS told her that if she leaves the state she is in, she will have to wait one year, before she can open the case in Florida, without pay.

Now, leaving the USA maybe even harder, you better check carefully, or you may be in for a shock......
Thank you for the information. I will definitely look into it.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post

That is incorrect. Social Security Disability is like receiving Social Security Retirement Income. SS Disability and SS Retirement Income are what a person paid into SS and he can live anywhere he wants and receive the benefits, continuous benefits without a lag. SSD is the same as what one would receive if he is 65 the day he was approved to receive SSD. He is receiving his retirement income early, before age 62.

Perhaps your daughter is collecting Social Security Supplemental Disability benefits which is welfare and one cannot live outside the U.S. more than 30 days a year and receive Supplemental benefits, either disability or income. There might be a lag for moving to another state since some states add income to Supplemental benefits. California adds about $200 a month.

If one is receiving SS Supplemental benefits (welfare) he does not receive enough money to qualify to live in Mexico anyway. Depending on the exchange rate, one person must prove a little over $1000 a month income and an additional $500 per family member to live legally year round in Mexico. Supplemental benefits are less than $700 a month.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,934 times
I live in Robertsdale Alabama and would very much like to move to Mexico City Mexico but I am unsure weather I will still receive my Social Security check. Any information would be welcome. Thank Jane Belanger

Old 07-24-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie Belanger View Post
I live in Robertsdale Alabama and would very much like to move to Mexico City Mexico but I am unsure weather I will still receive my Social Security check. Any information would be welcome. Thank Jane Belanger
If it is straight SS Disability and not SS Supplemental Income Disability you can live anywhere you want to live. If your SS Disability is based on what you paid into SS, it is treated like SS Retirement Income and someone collecting SS Retirement Income can live wherever he wants. If you receive Supplemental Income that is welfare and you cannot be out of the U.S. more than 30 days a year. Also, it is not high enough income for you to qualify to live legally in Mexico anyway. Because of the exchange rate, right now you must prove around $1000 US Dollars a month in income to live in Mexico.

Most of us Expats in Mexico have our checks deposited in our U.S. bank accounts and then use ATM machines to withdraw money. There are U.S. banks that own Mexican banks or have a relationship with them so you can have free ATM withdrawals.

Citibank owns Banamex. If you open a Banamex USA account you can transfer money for free in pesos to a Banamex Mexico account. Of course, you need to open a Banamex MX account when you are in Mexico and then you transfer online to the local account.

Bank of America has relationships with Standifer and Scotia Bank so any of their ATMs are free.

Another option are U.S. credit unions that will refund your ATM fees.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM

3,489 posts, read 4,371,235 times
You could keep a US bank account and a P.O. box for your US address and set up mail forwarding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico