U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 PM

9 posts, read 18,803 times
Default Relocating to Mexico on Social Security Disability

Hello,

I am seriously contemplating relocation to Mexico and living on my Social Security disability. My questions are;

1. Can I have my Medicare meds sent into Mexico? and
2. Which cities would come closest to meeting the following criteria;
a. Affordable
b. Temperate Climate
c. 20,000-175,000 People
d. Within 75 miles of Beaches (No resort or touristy type places)

Thank you for any suggestions you might have and all information you share.

goodman916
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:16 PM

38,729 posts, read 34,398,394 times
I would expect that it would be difficult to find a place with a temperate climate within 75 miles of the beach in the tropics, unless it was a slow and steep mountain road.

As for your Medicare, you probably know that you will not be covered for anything by Part A and Part B if you received medical services outside the USA. As for Part D, your prescriptions will need to be filled through a pharmacy in the USA. Whether that pharmacy will ship your Rx to you in Mexico is something to be worked out with your pharmacy. However, you can have your Rx filled by an online pharmacy that will ship them to any address in the USA, and you can have someone receive and re-ship them to you in Mexico. American pharmacies generally accept Rx written by doctors in Mexico.

However, I have no experience with that, and you will probably get a response from someone who has done it.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:28 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman916 View Post
Hello,

I am seriously contemplating relocation to Mexico and living on my Social Security disability. My questions are;

a. Affordable
b. Temperate Climate
c. 20,000-175,000 People

goodman916
Not sure about the meds but I do think you could find some excellent places to live with a "temperate climate" - but probably it would be in or near the mountains to avoid the heat. One that immediately comes to mind is a charming town/little city called Mascota, several hours drive from the Puerto Vallarta area. It hasn't been overrun yet with tourists yet - although there are some ex-pats who've located there. It has a lovely square, some great restaurants and I suspect, it may also still have some affordable properties. [Will try to find some info on it and repost]. Nearby are some other, smaller villages that might be possibilities although I'm not that familiar with them...

Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 PM

On the Atlantic side, you might consider Teziutlan, Hidalgo. There are several large towns to pick from in that area, at about 6,000 feet elevation, and 100 km from the beaches at Nautla, Veracruz.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 18,803 times
I appreciate all your responses! I guess I should start my research on temperate, affordable, cities further from the coastal areas.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:41 PM

246 posts, read 493,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman916 View Post
Hello,

a. Affordable
b. Temperate Climate
c. 20,000-175,000 People

goodman916

Seems I read that Social Security Disability, as opposed to regular SS, isn't paid outside the U.S.. Knew of a guy in Philippines in his 30's who was having SSD check direct deposited into stateside bank. His ex-wife reported him and he lost SSD. Might be wrong, if you aren't 100% sure you may want to check before moving.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 PM

5,045 posts, read 9,288,115 times
Talking Retirement on SS in Mexico

Can be done to a certain extent. Saw Riverside on your Bio. Rosarito would be a good bet. Remember Woody Strode? His wife has a home 1 mile from me. Met her once...a lovely lady.
Close to the border and as to SS meds being mailed her...NOPE. Only choice would be to a PO box in San Ysidro across the border. Get my VA meds sent there.
There are about 14000 Americans in this area so you won't feel alone by any means. Weather is a few degrees cooler here and not hot like it is in SD on any given day. I have been here 15 yrs and NO complaints (also on SS)
Wish you well. Steve

Old 08-12-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Seems I read that Social Security Disability, as opposed to regular SS, isn't paid outside the U.S.. Knew of a guy in Philippines in his 30's who was having SSD check direct deposited into stateside bank. His ex-wife reported him and he lost SSD. Might be wrong, if you aren't 100% sure you may want to check before moving.
Not so, unless it was changed recently. All a recipient has to do is have it direct deposited, nobody ever checks to see where you are physically located. However, on disability, you can be called at any time to be recertified as still disabled by a physician, and your benefits can be suspended if you don't report for the recertification. If the SSA has any reason to believe of suspect that you are no longer disabled (and living abroad might suggest that) they can require a recertification. But the mere fact of living abroad does not in itself disqualify a beneficiary. However, Medicare (which SSD beneficiaries are eligible for) will not cover any medical expenses while abroad.

But SSD is never permanent, it is always subject to review of your medical circumstances until you reach eligible retirement age. Special rules apply to blindness, giving the blind certain advantages.

If they guy's disgruntled wife blew the whistle on him, chances are that she also declared that he was physically able to work, which would result in a disqualification if he could not be located for re-examination. Don't burn your bridges. A friendly ex- can be a very useful ally.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:19 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,338,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
You have Social Security Supplemental Disability Income mixed up with Social Security Disability. SS Supplemental Disability and SS Supplmental Income are welfare and a recipient cannot be out of the U.S. for more than 30 days a year to collect them.

SS Disability is the same as regular SS and you can live anywhere you want. The difference in SS Disability and regular retirement SS is you collect it before retirement age.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 PM

246 posts, read 493,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
You have Social Security Supplemental Disability Income mixed up with Social Security Disability. SS Supplemental Disability and SS Supplmental Income are welfare and a recipient cannot be out of the U.S. for more than 30 days a year to collect them.

SS Disability is the same as regular SS and you can live anywhere you want. The difference in SS Disability and regular retirement SS is you collect it before retirement age.
Forgot I posted here, my memory ought to qualify me for something. OK, that's good, hope OP will be able to find a nice place. Didn't want him to have a problem with his income. I'm looking at Oaxaca in 3 years, seems to have everything I want at reasonable prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico