Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:10 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

My dd is taking Spanish in HS, she just came home with her book today.

I was trying to teach her the Spanish alphabet over the summer, but seems I'm "off base" I learned the Spanish alphabet has 3 extra letters--

ll
ch
rr

those double letters are considered as one letter for alphabetizing, spelling, etc. however, in her Spanish textbook, they have the spanish alphabet, but don't mention those as seperate letters. so, did they change the alphabet since I learned it? Or is that Castellan Spanish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 PM

70 posts, read 129,524 times
yes, those letters are not considered part of the alphabet anymore.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:58 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoy1 View Post
yes, those letters are not considered part of the alphabet anymore.

Well, I just gave my dd my Spanish dictionary, it has those letters, hope it won't mix her up. so, its still pronounced the same, ll is like a y, etc?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
However, in alphabetizing, they are treated as separate letters. Words beginning with "LL" come after all of the words beginning with a single "L"---lluvia comes after luz, for example, as if LL were a separate letter between L and M. Same with CH: Chihuahua is alphabetized after Culiacan. In my Mexican road atlas, for example, the maps are sequenced Coahuila, Colima, Chiapas, Chihuahua, Durango.

This convention is not always observed, though, and some English-Spanish dictionaries do not do it that way, for the convenience of their English-speaking users.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

I was trying to teach her the Spanish alphabet over the summer, but seems I'm "off base" I learned the Spanish alphabet has 3 extra letters--

ll
ch
rr

those double letters are considered as one letter for alphabetizing, spelling, etc. however, in her Spanish textbook, they have the spanish alphabet, but don't mention those as seperate letters. so, did they change the alphabet since I learned it? Or is that Castellan Spanish?
It depends on the school, I suppose, and the type of Spanish they are teaching. For example, schools in Puerto Rico have not taught that ll, ch, and rr as separate letters for a long time. Only ñ is a separate letter in Puerto Rico, and it has been that way for as long as anyone can remember.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:38 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
They used to be treated as separate letters but the convention has changed and now they are no longer considered separate. I also have a dictionary from about 10 years ago, when the separation was still the standard, and ll comes after l, etc. However, newer textbooks do not introduce them as separate letters and include an explanatory note stating that the older convention is no longer observed. Also, the current format of Spanish-English dictionaries is also different: ch is no longer a separate entry and words beginning with ch come after words beginning with ce; the same goes for words beginning with ll, which now come after words beginning with li rather than as a separate entry. I am not sure if the change has also been made in Spanish dictionaries. Note that ñ is still considered a separate letter and is included as such in the "new" Spanish alphabet:

Real Academia Espaola

This is in Spanish, but I will assume that you can read it; it's the first entry. If you read the entire page, you will find a lot of changes and new rules that are worth noting.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:38 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:

ll
ch
rr

My Spanish I teacher in high school told us that the letters had been officially removed from the alphabet, but we learned the alphabet with them anyway.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Here are the first two hits I got googling /lista estados mexico/. One of them lists CH after CO, the other one CH before CO.

Lista de estados de México | MauricioVera

Lista de Estados

Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
They used to be treated as separate letters but the convention has changed and now they are no longer considered separate. I also have a dictionary from about 10 years ago, when the separation was still the standard, and ll comes after l, etc. However, newer textbooks do not introduce them as separate letters and include an explanatory note stating that the older convention is no longer observed. Also, the current format of Spanish-English dictionaries is also different: ch is no longer a separate entry and words beginning with ch come after words beginning with ce; the same goes for words beginning with ll, which now come after words beginning with li rather than as a separate entry. I am not sure if the change has also been made in Spanish dictionaries. Note that ñ is still considered a separate letter and is included as such in the "new" Spanish alphabet:

Real Academia Espaola

This is in Spanish, but I will assume that you can read it; it's the first entry. If you read the entire page, you will find a lot of changes and new rules that are worth noting.
Glad the Spaniards came to their senses and adopted the "Puerto Rican" alphabet

Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM

70 posts, read 129,524 times
Quote:
Well, I just gave my dd my Spanish dictionary, it has those letters, hope it won't mix her up. so, its still pronounced the same, ll is like a y, etc?
yes, they are pronounced the same way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico