Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:08 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I find it hilarious that people would base their opinion of Mexico off of driving by the border and old tales. Sure Mexico is no America, but I think that is a good thing, the water in Costal Baja is clearer than anything in the US. If you want a safe nice place to visit that may open your mind try Puerto Vallarta:
I love Mexico. Cabo San Lucas is one of my favorite vacation places. But, a reality check is needed here: The ocean waters in many parts of the world - including around the Baja area - are at risk. Here's a good site to check out if you want to know more: Wildcoast And an article which is a few years old but still informative as to what's happening there now.

I live in Oregon, where many of our lakes are among the purest in the world. A few so pure that the water within them is similar to distilled water. A few so pure that fish won't even survive in them. I would definitely not say that the waters in and around Mexico are purer than anything you'd find in America. That's simply not true.

Some of my fellow American's really disturb me. All they care about is money! Why are native Mexican's risking their lives to illegally enter America if Mexico is such a paradise to live or retire in? Because American's keep abusing Mexico... wanting - expecting things to be super cheap, to save themselves lots of money, yet they do not want to sacrifice quality... and they want it right now! And not wanting to pay decent wages for decent work. You get what you pay for. You get what you pay for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,784 times
Default kangaroos in la-la land

regarding mexico land home ownership---here it is straight up-i have lived in mexico for 28 years selling homes, fractionals and time shares. currently
i am selling 400 lots and homes in rosarito, baja. my only regret is selling our place in puerto vallarta- paid 90k in 1990, it now would sell in one day for 450,000 it is appraised at 600k.most property doubled and tripled anyway. on this blog someone mentioned driving along the border and not being impressed- the border? i would suggest a trip to cancun for starters
you would be upset for having missed this in your life so far. when i became an immigrant TO mexico in 1988 i was among 500, now it is about
5000 a year. when i first got to p.v. the pop. was 25,000 now it is 800,000. now the country is flooded with johnny -come latelies. the road was paved for them by us. my wife had a cancer operation for 6000u.s. in mex.the u.s .it would be 250000 at least. if you go and get culture shock which you will--please remember you will not discover mexico you will discover yourself. if you suffer from agoraphobia and/or zenophobia, get help.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,206 times
So they sue us for enforcing our borders but refuse to allow us to invest in their country. Think of the jobs that would create.

Our current & past administrations have sold us out so that they might be re-elected.

STOP THIS MADNESS.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:12 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,553 times
Dear Angry Gringo.... Some of us (US citizens) on this forum DO own land in Mexico and DO help create adiversity of jobs in many different areas of Mexico. We're in the Vallarta area and have many friends and neighbors from the US and Canada who immeasurably help Mexico's economy. We eat at their restaurants, shop at their tiendas, employ their citizens as contractors, guides, gardeners, maids and in their hotels, etc., etc.. It is an empty argument that we can't buy property and don't assist in making the Mexican economy better. Mexico clearly recognizes the value of foreign investment - the latest downtown in tourism due to the media's inaccurate portrayals of violence *throughout* Mexico has slowed things somewhat; but will not curb the influx of foreigners seeking a different kind of life and culture within Mexico's borders.

And, yes, property prices have risen dramatically during the last decade but it's still worth the investment.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM

469 posts, read 1,256,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRYGRINGO View Post
... but refuse to allow us to invest in their country.
Who refused to allow us to invest in Mexico? First time I've heard that one.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 AM

373 posts, read 710,296 times
Stay where you are, You maybe already on Mexican land.. The Mexicans just havent evicted you yet,,,Most of the USA is on mexican land you know and colonies of mexicans are there now preparing for later when they get it back.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:32 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
Stay where you are, You maybe already on Mexican land.. The Mexicans just havent evicted you yet,,,Most of the USA is on mexican land you know and colonies of mexicans are there now preparing for later when they get it back.
Well, I think the "Most of the USA is on mexican land" claim lacks basis in fact.

The question about land ownership is centered in what is now the western USA. However, my recollection is that Spain granted lands owned by Native Americans to wealthy Mexicans. If that's what happened, those wealthy Mexicans stole the land from Native Americans. And it wasn't really "Mexico" in the first place.

Other lands which are now part of the USA were gained by treaty, or warfare. Just as lands change hands throughout history. In the Mexico USA war, Mexico was the dominant (theoretically) military power, which was overwhelmed by what was considered the lesser, weaker USA forces.

The USA could have taken control of the entirety of Mexico after that war, but chose not to.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
"most Americans" give very little thought to Canada, during an entire lifetime. Inconsequential to their lives, that's how they see Canada (and, indirectly, Canadians). They could care less.
I think that the biggest division in thinking is from the people living on the coasts compared to those living in the middle in both the USA and Canada. As a MID WESTERNER I always felt more at home in Edmonton, Alberta than I did in Boston or New York City.
GL2

Old 06-21-2013, 11:16 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
The original post was almost 6 years ago. Certainly Todos Santos is not within a couple of hours of the US border.

Bienvenidos a City-Data

Old 06-21-2013, 11:29 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Todos Santos is just a few miles (one hour drive) north of Cabo on the Pacific side. Have driven thru there many times on the way to Cabo....quaint little place for Surfers or Artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico