Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 09:46 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times

Advertisements

Guadalajara, Chapala, Mazatlan, La Paz etc.

I’m interested in finding information about Americans living in these areas and others of Mexico. I’d like to know how it compares to life else were. Do they stay there year round or migrate back and forth? Are they leasing, buying or can you rent? I have found posts about buying property there but renting seems to be something that I’ve found no information on. As Americans living there do you find that it is a problem with the language? Any information is appreciated, and I continue to monitor other threads for info as well. As Americans can you fly in and out easily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 04:25 PM

272 posts, read 1,510,282 times
Default Mazatlan and La Paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Guadalajara, Chapala, Mazatlan, La Paz etc.

I’m interested in finding information about Americans living in these areas and others of Mexico. I’d like to know how it compares to life else were. Do they stay there year round or migrate back and forth? Are they leasing, buying or can you rent? I have found posts about buying property there but renting seems to be something that I’ve found no information on. As Americans living there do you find that it is a problem with the language? Any information is appreciated, and I continue to monitor other threads for info as well. As Americans can you fly in and out easily?
If you were to do a search of my screen name, you'd find that I seem to have a fondness for Mazatlan. I kind of surprised myself by that, as there are many places in Mexico that I really like a lot, but I think that for many retirees not familiar with the country Mazatlan offers the best overall package. I am copying an earlier post about Mazatlan below, as I think it answers many of your questions.

Quote:
Mazatlan: A large city with excellent services, including dental and hospitals; great (cheap) restaurants; friendly people; excellent grocery shopping; and it is not difficult to find a thoroughly decent apartment (fully furnished and near the beach) for rent under $500 a month. About 15 miles of beach for your entertainment. You don't even need a car, as public transportation is reliable and cheap.

Maz (as it's fondly called by the gringos who love it) is separated into distinct sections. Starting from the north: New Mazatlan, an area just being developed, a bit more high end; next is the Golden Zone, where most of the tourist facilities and major resorts are located; then you have El Centro/Olas Altas; and then Old Mazatlan, the Historic Zone. Gringos live everywhere within the city, according to their tastes and budget. Here is a website that explains more: http://www.allaboutmazatlan.com/allaboutmazatlan.htm

There are weekly gatherings where the "old timers" answer questions and give advice to "newbies" or potential newbies. The groups “Maz Amigos” and Maz Info boast a group of eighty or more during the winter season, and a few less during the heat of the summer. But they do gather faithfully once a week to answer questions of any that would ask. You can usually find some of them at Canuck's restaurant nearly any day of the week.
You can live easily in Maz without knowing Spanish, though if you make an attempt to learn some basics the locals will appreciate the effort.

It is VERY easy to fly in and out of Maz as an American. It's not a bad drive, either. Make sure you have your passport if you want to get back into the States, though.

If I had to guess, I'd say that about 40% of the gringo population is permanent, with the rest coming down for the winter months. But as I say, that's pure guess work. Suffice it to say that there are plenty of them around all year, and not all of retirement age either.

If you have specific questions, ask away. I'll come back tomorrow with some info on La Paz for you; just now I'm due for a siesta. (Getting old sucks, but having a siesta whenever you feel like it helps take the sting out of it. )

Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Baja Boomer ,,,,, thanks for the information on Mazatlan. It appears that I’ve overloaded this area. The information and the weblink is very interesting and I’ll give this more thought and certainly pass it on to my friend. Thanks again.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Check out San Miguel de Allende. I loved that city. There are a lot of Americans and Europeans living there.

You can rent a home anywhere in Mexico. I only know this because my friend rented a home in a little village outside of Guadalajara. A local woman helped her find a place.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:35 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Some of these places are virtual american colonies...with a few Canadians as well. Chalapa and Ajijic for example. Mostly the homes there are owned. Even rentals are likely to be gringo owned.

Puerto Vallarta is more balanced. A large American colony with owned homes...a significant number of boaters...and a lot of folks renting and living low on the hog.

The classical PV..Conchas Chinos or Gringo Gulch is expensive and generally gringo owned. Santa Monica south perhaps.

There are also Mexican resort areas...Playa del Muerto for example...where the well of from Guadalajara own or stay. It is interesting...probably a two or three to one difference in cost. And the beach at Playa del Muerto is better.

You can easily rent anywhere in PV. The gringo areas charge gringo prices. The Mexican areas vastly less. Good public transport and relatively cheap cabs.

I like Bucerias...about 15 miles north of PV. Again both gringo and Mexican areas...but a significantly lower price point than PV.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 23,795 times
I am currently living in Chapala. I have lived here for 4 years now. There are rentals available and I have found most owned by Mexicans except for the seasonal rentals owned by snowbirds from Canada and US. During the high season the areas population swells tremendously. The high season is November to April.
I am considering returning to the States. The main reason is the language barrier. I have tried to learn the language and I can manage to make myself understood but with difficulty. I thought I would learn the language a lot easier but alas my brain isn´t what it used to be!!!LOL! As an example, I am a DIYer and I may decide to do a small project for the home, well then I have to go to the hardware store. Hardware stores here in Mexico have a counter that you step up to and ask for what you want and they get it for you. That is all fine and good if you know what you want. Half the time I don´t know the name of the item in English let alone in Espanol. I find it just too frustrating. Although I have to say the Mexican people are very patient and we laugh at me together. I have even gotten pretty good at drawing the part I need.
Well I hope this helps. If you have any questions just ask.
Flying back and forth between here and the States is easy with a passport. I do so atleast once a year. No problems.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 PM

arivergal

Thanks for the information and yes it helps to have a better understanding of how living there is. I too know that I would have problems with language but thought I could learn enough after a while. I am mainly checking into relocation for a friend who is retired and wants to move but hasn’t a pc to help find out things.

I’ve tried to find classified ads online for rentals but so far no luck with things. Is there anything that you know of where this info could be found online? Are there any rental agencies that work online or via newspaper?

Are you renting, leasing, or buying? And what type of housing do you have? Is it costly? Forgive me for asking personal questions so if you chose not answer I understand.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:47 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,639 times
HOLA!
quiero visitar a guadalajara.
tiene muchas iglesias bonitas.

visitare a mexico en el proximo ano.... estoy seguro!

ahhh, hablo en espanol!
que bueno!!!

Old 05-27-2017, 06:33 PM

5 posts, read 3,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
arivergal

Thanks for the information and yes it helps to have a better understanding of how living there is. I too know that I would have problems with language but thought I could learn enough after a while. I am mainly checking into relocation for a friend who is retired and wants to move but hasn’t a pc to help find out things.

I’ve tried to find classified ads online for rentals but so far no luck with things. Is there anything that you know of where this info could be found online? Are there any rental agencies that work online or via newspaper?

Are you renting, leasing, or buying? And what type of housing do you have? Is it costly? Forgive me for asking personal questions so if you chose not answer I understand.
Ajijic4Rentals.com can help you.

I am an expat and rent a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom house. The problem with owners like me who rent is that we are looking for long term renters. However, I would certainly consider renting for a period of 6 months or so. The rentals for the high season (November-April) for my type of house can run from $1000-$1500 USD a month. I'm in the village of Ajijic itself. A wonderful place to be as one does not need a car to get around most places. And I have the bus stop right at my corner. The Lake Chapala Society is two blocks from me. LCS is a center for expats and locals. There are many free classes given there, including Spanish classes, mostly for beginners. Lots of opportunities to volunteer there and with many other organizations.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico