Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Where on Earth do you always get this negative stuff about Mexico? Mexico is very tolerate of demonstrations. It is much more empathetic for the poor than up North. President Calderon expanded Seguro Popular trying to cover all residents of Mexico and attempting to make sure the very poorest have medical coverage. The new immigration law made illegal immigration a civil not criminal offense and makes it possible for illegal children to go to school. There are many other protections in the law for the illegals coming over the Southern border.

Mexico doesn't have a lot, not the wealth of the USA, but it tries to help the people who live in Mexico. The same cannot be said of the U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Maybe the U.S. does not specifically help the people who live in Mexico but I assure you that anyone from Mexico who comes to the U.S. (documented or otherwise) certainly benefits from the generosity of the U.S.

Now if you are making reference to the fact that the U.S. does not help its own citizens in the same manner as it does the citizens from Mexico...you may have a point there.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Quote:
I think what I wrote is very clear that Mexico is more tolerant and supporting of its own residents and did not write anything about illegals entering the U.S.

Anyone in the U.S. who is legal is allowed legal benefits. Why people think legal
Mexican citizens in the U.S. might receive benefits is a big deal, I don't get. Would it bother you if legal Canadian citizens in the U.S. received some benefits? I think it is only the Latinos receiving any benefit that bothers people.

Illegals from any country in the U.S. cannot receive federal benefits. Illegals can get medical care for free and that expense is passed on to those who can pay, but that is local and not a designed benefit. In Mexico, illegals are protected in federal law and given federal healthcare.
at the risk of saying negative stuff about Mexico...if Mexico were indeed more tolerant and supporting of its own residents then it appears there would not be a need for its own residents to immigrate to the U.S.

Not everyone who is a citizen OR legal in the U.S. receives benefits.Certain criteria must be met and for my reference the criteria is typically met with children who are born on U.S. soil (from all over the globe, as this seems to be your sore spot). Once an undocumented person has a baby born on U.S. soil that baby is entitled to benefits and therefore the mother as she is the baby's guardian and caregiver.

Concerning your statement, In Mexico, illegals are protected in federal law and given federal healthcare...exactly whose illegals are you referencing? Illegals to Mexico or Mexico's illegals to the U.S.? Just curious.

Your original post did not make a reference to Canadians but rather the citizens of Mexico and the help which they receive from the Mexican government. YOU brought up Canadians and now that they are in the mix, yes, I feel it is inaapropriate to provide benfits to any undocumented person (Canadian, Russian, Polish, Chinese, Greek, Nigerian, Italian, Albanian, English, Irish, Australian) and their U.S. born baby, regardless of their country of origin.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,340,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
at the risk of saying negative stuff about Mexico...if Mexico were indeed more tolerant and supporting of its own residents then it appears there would not be a need for its own residents to immigrate to the U.S.

Not everyone who is a citizen OR legal in the U.S. receives benefits.Certain criteria must be met and for my reference the criteria is typically met with children who are born on U.S. soil (from all over the globe, as this seems to be your sore spot). Once an undocumented person has a baby born on U.S. soil that baby is entitled to benefits and therefore the mother as she is the baby's guardian and caregiver.

Concerning your statement, In Mexico, illegals are protected in federal law and given federal healthcare...exactly whose illegals are you referencing? Illegals to Mexico or Mexico's illegals to the U.S.? Just curious.

Your original post did not make a reference to Canadians but rather the citizens of Mexico and the help which they receive from the Mexican government. YOU brought up Canadians and now that they are in the mix, yes, I feel it is inaapropriate to provide benfits to any undocumented person (Canadian, Russian, Polish, Chinese, Greek, Nigerian, Italian, Albanian, English, Irish, Australian) and their U.S. born baby, regardless of their country of origin.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
I thought it was clear. Mexico has a new immigration law that protects all residents of Mexico, provides free healthcare and education. People are still subjected to proving they can legally live in Mexico but the offense of being an illegal is a civil, not criminal offense.

The majority of us legal foreigners are Canadian and U.S. citizens. Us foreigners can join Seguro Popular and receive free healthcare. We can join Mexico's Social Security healthcare (IMSS) for $300 USD a year and less depending on age, and IMSS pays 100% of all healthcare including medicines. IMSS for workers is employer paid and unlike Medicare it covers all ages.

All residents of Mexico, legal and illegal, are required by law to be treated equal to Mexican citizens except that foreigners cannot join political demonstrations or be involved in MX politics. Even if we become citizens, we cannot run for political office which stems from foreign nations occupying Mexico and Mexico hasn't forgotten it.

I don't have a sore spot with any child being born in the U.S. I have a sore spot that some people think if a child is born in the U.S. to Mexican parents who are illegally in the U.S., that the child should be treated differently than any other U.S. citizen. Any baby born within the sovereignty of the U.S. is a U.S. citizen no matter where he parents are from except of course the exception for foreign embassy children who do not receive U.S. citizenship.

I wrote that the U.S. is more intolerant of its own people demonstrating than Mexico is with its people demonstrating.

Mexicans coming to the U.S. and Mexicans leaving the U.S. has zeroed out illegal immigration to the U.S. The Hispanics entering the U.S. are Central Americans.

Mexicans immigrated to the U.S. for better paying jobs, not because they wanted to be snatched up by ICE and thrown out of the country. Down here we complain that very few criminals are convicted of crimes or stay for long in prison. If a Mexican is a criminal he is better off in Mexico committing crimes. Mexicans do not go to the U.S. because they are treated better. It is financial only.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Default Really...

Quote:
I thought it was clear. Mexico has a new immigration law that protects all residents of Mexico, provides free healthcare and education. People are still subjected to proving they can legally live in Mexico but the offense of being an illegal is a civil, not criminal offense.

The majority of us legal foreigners are Canadian and U.S. citizens. Us foreigners can join Seguro Popular and receive free healthcare. We can join Mexico's Social Security healthcare (IMSS) for $300 USD a year and less depending on age, and IMSS pays 100% of all healthcare including medicines. IMSS for workers is employer paid and unlike Medicare it covers all ages.

All residents of Mexico, legal and illegal, are required by law to be treated equal to Mexican citizens except that foreigners cannot join political demonstrations or be involved in MX politics. Even if we become citizens, we cannot run for political office which stems from foreign nations occupying Mexico and Mexico hasn't forgotten it.

I don't have a sore spot with any child being born in the U.S. I have a sore spot that some people think if a child is born in the U.S. to Mexican parents who are illegally in the U.S., that the child should be treated differently than any other U.S. citizen. Any baby born within the sovereignty of the U.S. is a U.S. citizen no matter where he parents are from except of course the exception for foreign embassy children who do not receive U.S. citizenship.

I wrote that the U.S. is more intolerant of its own people demonstrating than Mexico is with its people demonstrating.

Mexicans coming to the U.S. and Mexicans leaving the U.S. has zeroed out illegal immigration to the U.S. The Hispanics entering the U.S. are Central Americans.

Mexicans immigrated to the U.S. for better paying jobs, not because they wanted to be snatched up by ICE and thrown out of the country. Down here we complain that very few criminals are convicted of crimes or stay for long in prison. If a Mexican is a criminal he is better off in Mexico committing crimes. Mexicans do not go to the U.S. because they are treated better. It is financial only.
and again, with all due respect axixic2, the title of this thread is Mexico and The United States (how much, American, baseball) and therefore I will apologize concerning the OT discussion. Let's say you win because you know what you know...excellent.

That being said, I know what I know as well and it matters not to me if I win because I know exactly what I know and I don't wish to get into a urinating contest with you or anyone else here, for that matter. If you're in the least bit interested in the statistics, the opinions, and the inevitable rancor which erupts please feel free to browse the c-d threads which I have posted here.

If not (and either way), no harm, no foul and have a great weekend, sincerely.

Best regards,

HomeIsWhere...

California
Death by taxes (live, budget, estate)
http://www.city-data.com/forum/california/1741889-death-taxes-16.html#post27211578

41% Think a Child Born in the U.S. to an Illegal Immigrant Should Be a Citizen
41% Think a Child Born in the U.S. to an Illegal Immigrant Should Be a Citizen

Illegal Immigrant Gets Kidney---States "Health Care Should Be A Human Right, Not A Privilege"
Illegal Immigrant Gets Kidney---States "Health Care Should Be A Human Right, Not A Privilege"

Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,115,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullslim View Post
How much culturally different and similar are these two countries? Would the differences outweigh the similarities?
There are some superficial similarities (pop culture, chain retailers, etc.) between the two, but other than that, their cultures are completely different.

Mexico is much more family-oriented, for one. Individual privacy in the home (e.g. withdrawing into your own room) is far more limited. Children stay home until they marry or at least into adulthood far more often than they do in the U.S. Mexicans seem to have / make family visits far more often than they do in the U.S.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Where on Earth do you always get this negative stuff about Mexico? Mexico is very tolerate of demonstrations. It is much more empathetic for the poor than up North. President Calderon expanded Seguro Popular trying to cover all residents of Mexico and attempting to make sure the very poorest have medical coverage. The new immigration law made illegal immigration a civil not criminal offense and makes it possible for illegal children to go to school. There are many other protections in the law for the illegals coming over the Southern border.

Mexico doesn't have a lot, not the wealth of the USA, but it tries to help the people who live in Mexico. The same cannot be said of the U.S.
Then why are there millions of Mexicans doing anything they can to come and live in the USA but not the reverse? Sure a few well-off Americans might retire in Mexico where they can have cheap servants and nice weather, but you don't see impoverished Americans fleeing the USA.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
This video shows one of the biggest differences - and that is consciousness of race. While in Mexico, people may identify with being upper or lower class and be divided by social class, they don't think so much in terms of race. An American would have an immediate answer on what race he considered himself to be. And in Mexico people don't think of "Indian" so much a race as a culture. I thought it was silly how the interviewer wanted them to answer "Native American" as though they are Cherokees or Iroquois, but maybe if he would have included "Native Mexican" or "Oaxacan", or "Mayan" some may have gone with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e6ChgL1EC4

Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM

836 posts, read 2,947,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then why are there millions of Mexicans doing anything they can to come and live in the USA but not the reverse? Sure a few well-off Americans might retire in Mexico where they can have cheap servants and nice weather, but you don't see impoverished Americans fleeing the USA.
You know the answer.
Poor in USA don't need to come to Mexico, they can take advantage of a lot of resources from their government.

About mexicans to USA, those are not millions, the numbers has been reduced to be minimal at this time.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
You know the answer.
Poor in USA don't need to come to Mexico, they can take advantage of a lot of resources from their government.

About mexicans to USA, those are not millions, the numbers has been reduced to be minimal at this time.
Well, a generation left Mexico ... for the USA. And the federal government pushed them out. I view it as similar to a genocide. Shameful behavior by the Mexican government. Tens of millions of Mexicans left their homeland. Economic refugees. But, yes, the outflow has lessened because of declining number of jobs in the USA and also the vigerous deportation policy of President Obama.

There are now almost 1 million "Americans" (form the USA) living in Mexico - according to the last Census. Probably half that number are children born in the USA to a Mexican parent who've relocated for whatever reason. Of the remaining Americans I suspect the smaller percentage represents people who are well-off.

There are, I believe, a large group of Americans living in Mexico because they're financially unprepared to live in the USA ... not because they truly enjoy Mexico or Mexicans. They, also, are economic refugees and one of the things they're attracted to is various government assistance programs in Mexico originally intended for use by Mexicans. Health services being the primary reason.

The revised immigration guidelines will probably prevent most of the economic refugees from the USA from choosing Mexico. They'll not meet the increased income requirements for new visa applicants. I see that as a positive development for Mexico - just as I see a reduction in the flow into the USA of uneducated/untrained Mexicans as positive for the USA.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 AM

836 posts, read 2,947,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Well, a generation left Mexico ... for the USA. And the federal government pushed them out. I view it as similar to a genocide. Shameful behavior by the Mexican government. Tens of millions of Mexicans left their homeland. Economic refugees. But, yes, the outflow has lessened because of declining number of jobs in the USA and also the vigerous deportation policy of President Obama.
The immigration has declined also because Mexico's economy is better today than a few years ago.

The government can not stop people who want to leave the country, in Mexico there are free to leave or enter the country.

Quote:
There are now almost 1 million "Americans" (form the USA) living in Mexico - according to the last Census. Probably half that number are children born in the USA to a Mexican parent who've relocated for whatever reason. Of the remaining Americans I suspect the smaller percentage represents people who are well-off.
There are, I believe, a large group of Americans living in Mexico because they're financially unprepared to live in the USA ... not because they truly enjoy Mexico or Mexicans.
I doubt it.

Many Americans living in Mexico are economically active, thoushands working in U.S. companies in Mexico and many others are owners of several companies. Still others choose to study Mexico.

Yes, retirees are more visible as they tend to live together in communities, but there are thousands of Americans who live in large cities in Mexico.

Quote:
They, also, are economic refugees and one of the things they're attracted to is various government assistance programs in Mexico originally intended for use by Mexicans. Health services being the primary reason.
This may be true and I see it unfair since universal insurance remains of taxes from the ones with work, but ultimately are an insignificant minority that is not big problem.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,340,079 times
Quote:
There are, I believe, a large group of Americans living in Mexico because they're financially unprepared to live in the USA ... not because they truly enjoy Mexico or Mexicans. They, also, are economic refugees and one of the things they're attracted to is various government assistance programs in Mexico originally intended for use by Mexicans. Health services being the primary reason.

The revised immigration guidelines will probably prevent most of the economic refugees from the USA from choosing Mexico. They'll not meet the increased income requirements for new visa applicants. I see that as a positive development for Mexico - just as I see a reduction in the flow into the USA of uneducated/untrained Mexicans as positive for the USA.
The poor in the U.S. are far better off staying in the U.S. where they receive free medical care (Medicaid), food stamps, assisted housing, free transportation in most cities, etc. They are not better off in Mexico. Nobody moves to Mexico for free medical and there are no other social services.

Mexico doesn't have government programs for the poor. If you are describing Seguro Popular which can be free for some applicants and a fee for others, it is in the new Mexico Immigration Act that all foreigners in Mexico can receive healthcare either public (Seguro Popular) or private. I think that proves Mexico is not trying to get rid of foreigners because of medical care.

Most of Mexico's tax income comes from sales tax and retirees pay millions in sales taxes. People who have Seguro Popular do not want to use it and it is only for a dire emergency. SP does allow us who can pay, a discount at a private hospital. Instead of paying $3000 USD we can pay $1000 USD.

Quote:
Article 8. Migrants can access the educational services provided by the public and private, regardless of their immigration status and in accordance with the laws and regulations.
Migrants will be entitled to receive any medical care, provided by the sectors public and private, regardless of their immigration status, in accordance with the laws and regulations.

Migrants regardless of their immigration status, are entitled to receive in a free and unrestricted, any kind of medical care that is urgently needed to preserve his life.
In the provision of educational and medical services, any restrictions established administrative act abroad, greater than those established generally for Mexicans.
The new income requirements were dreamed up by an agency not legislators and do not reflect what the law states. They are not in the law and most people think the new administration will order INM to change the financial rules because the rules economically hurt Mexicans also.

Foreigners who are employed in Mexico and that is the majority of foreigners in Mexico do not need to prove their financial status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico