Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,990,938 times

Advertisements

Great info! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM

6,401 posts, read 8,934,593 times
I might be in Mexico City for the World Cup qualifier against the United States on March 26. Looking to stay around 5 days. Probably arriving on Sunday and departing that Thursday (day after the match).

Looking for tips on where to say and what to see in the days leading up to the match at Azteca. Cultural/historical sites, street food, lucha libre are my main interests aside from the soccer game. I'd be going with a small group with at least one person that speaks Spanish. I don't think anyone has been before so it's a new experience all around. Any ideas or tips appreciated.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:42 PM

Does Mexico City have any English speaking tv channels? Im hoping I can watch football while there

Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,924,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I might be in Mexico City for the World Cup qualifier against the United States on March 26. Looking to stay around 5 days. Probably arriving on Sunday and departing that Thursday (day after the match).

Looking for tips on where to say and what to see in the days leading up to the match at Azteca. Cultural/historical sites, street food, lucha libre are my main interests aside from the soccer game. I'd be going with a small group with at least one person that speaks Spanish. I don't think anyone has been before so it's a new experience all around. Any ideas or tips appreciated.
Where to stay suggestions: If you want to be near cultural/historical sites, I recommend you stay in "el centro" -- the center of the city, near Zocalo. It's where you will find most tourists, attractions, historical sites, architectural examples, etc. I cannot recommend a hotel, but when you research it look for places in this general area. The public transportation is good, you're close to the subway, and there are plenty of places to walk to (if you don't plan to ride buses/subway). It is fun, however, to ride a "bicitaxi" -- a little buggy pulled by someone on a bike. Also--since you'll not be there that long, taking a tour bus ride through the city is also kind of fun (sit on the top deck). Be sure to see Templo Mayor (also in el centro near Zocalo). If you have time for a day trip--go see las pyramides -- the pyramid of the Sun & Moon in Teotihuacan. This is the place of legendary Aztec history (and so is Templo Mayor).

Food: It's everywhere! The choices for street vended food are as vast as the city is wide. I recommend going where you see a lot of customers though---because the vendor has probably gained a good reputation for quality, safety, and tastiness. It seems anyone can set up a street cart and sell food they've prepared in their own kitchens. If you're brave, go ahead and try--but bring some anti-diarrheal medication along with you. In fact, because of the change in diet you'll have for the 5 days you're there, I recommend you take one tablet of loperamide before you get there.

Sorry, don't know much about where to see lucha libre matches---but that does sound like a hoot!

Old 11-25-2012, 03:18 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,924,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Does Mexico City have any English speaking tv channels? Im hoping I can watch football while there
They probably do....but I am not aware of one. However, I did discover you could set the TV audio setting on English with Spanish subtitles on some stations, and that did work for some shows. Good luck--I hope you can do this with American football programming.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 AM

Thanks!

Is it safe drinking water there?

Would you recommend taking the taxi or suubway from the airport into downtown for a first time tourist?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 AM

836 posts, read 2,939,981 times
Quote:
Thanks!

Is it safe drinking water there?

Would you recommend taking the taxi or suubway from the airport into downtown for a first time tourist?
* Is better if you take only bottled water is cheap and you avoid any complications.
* Take the taxi.
* If you stay in a hotel of international brand, say a Holiday Inn, they have American channels in English.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 AM

836 posts, read 2,939,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

If you arrive early on Sunday you can go to Plaza México to view a bullfight in the largest plaza in the world.

For Lucha Libre the place is Arena México not to be confused with Arena Ciudad de Mexico, this is more for concerts and events such.

I recommend staying in the Zocalo area or Paseo de la Reforma. From there you have hundreds of interesting places to visit, is recommended to go by Turibus so you get an idea or the areas you could visit.

I guess you can not miss:

Zocalo, National Palace, Templo Mayor, Metropolitan Cathedral, Calle Madero, Paseo de la Reforma, National Museum of Art, Latinamerican Tower, Bellas Artes Palace, New Soumaya Museum, Anthropology Museum, Bosque de Chapultepec and Teotihuacan worth the trip.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 AM

305 posts, read 748,188 times
I would recommend staying the Roma-Condesa area. Parts of downtown can get a bit sketchy late at night if you don't know the streets well. It's still very close to downtown anyway and there's a ton of cool restaurants and bars in the area.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,819,166 times
Quote:
There are quite a few NFL games on TV, often with Mexican announcers speaking over the lowered volume of the American announcers. Its quite an experience, you'll be trying to figure out what the announcers are saying about a call or something in English and the Mexican announcers will just be a little too loud for you to understand

But its the same feed as you see in the US so no worries, you see the plays and the score. What you don't always get to see is the ticker at the bottom so you may not be able to follow all the scores. And if you find the right sports bar you will be set, there is the same Directv package of all games available in Mexico for quite cheap compared to the US/Canada price so a few upscale bars get it and might show the game you really want to watch. If not there will still be 3 or 4 games on, some on free channels and some on cable which most hotels above very basic level have.

If all else fails, find a sports book and watch and bet on every game as if you were in Vegas. There are quite a few around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico