U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:22 PM

6,939 posts, read 3,002,438 times
Excuse me for pointing out the fact that the experience of Mexicans in their own country is more than a little important to consider, especially when we talk about government healthcare facilities and programs. These programs/facilities which you have been recommending are designed for use by Mexicans in particular, not freeloading and cheapskate foreigners who are consuming services/medications best left to Mexicans who can't afford what you and I can afford. And I'll suggest once again that the experiences you relate seem, exclusivly, to relate to the Guadalajara area. Mexico is so much larger than that. In case you haven't had the opportunity to visit the rest of the country. But, as I said before ... if you're pleased with the services (you haven't even tried yet), then good for you. Just don't expect everyone else to agree, in lock-step fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 05:29 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,339,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Excuse me for pointing out the fact that the experience of Mexicans in their own country is more than a little important to consider, especially when we talk about government healthcare facilities and programs. These programs/facilities which you have been recommending are designed for use by Mexicans in particular, not freeloading and cheapskate foreigners who are consuming services/medications best left to Mexicans who can't afford what you and I can afford. And I'll suggest once again that the experiences you relate seem, exclusivly, to relate to the Guadalajara area. Mexico is so much larger than that. In case you haven't had the opportunity to visit the rest of the country. But, as I said before ... if you're pleased with the services (you haven't even tried yet), then good for you. Just don't expect everyone else to agree, in lock-step fashion.
Most foreigners don't hang out in the one horse, pathetically poor pueblos like you do so i doubt they care about healthcare in tiny towns.

Most Mexicans live in the cities and they can and are be covered by several types of government sponsored insurance.

Guadalajara is a large city but Mexico City is larger by several million and there are dozens of cities in Mexico with close to or over one million people. Their lives are similar to people living in Guadalajara.

If you want to portray the one horse pueblos as the real Mexico so ahead but those of us in Mexico know that the cities are where most Mexicans live. That is like saying 7 Points Texas is an example of all of the U.S.

Freeloaders? You have some serious issues.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 PM

5,045 posts, read 9,291,771 times
Why don't the two of you quit bickering and give it a rest. Doubt most Americans care about Mexico health related problems or benifits they have re any medical care.......I don't thats why I live close to the border for any quick needs.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Why don't the two of you quit bickering and give it a rest. Doubt most Americans care about Mexico health related problems or benifits they have re any medical care.......I don't thats why I live close to the border for any quick needs.
If you're not interested in the discussion, then just move on. And give it a rest. Who appointed you the Moderator?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 AM

5,045 posts, read 9,291,771 times
NO...I'm not but probably speaking on the behalf of many out there who think the same as I do.

Your in Chicago (I think) ands the other is in Mexico.

I have lived in Mexico for 19 yrs...three of which were in Mexico City with a Mexican spouse so do have a bit of Mexican experience. Medical never was needed and still not today.

Will have to ask my Mexican neighbor lady to explain to me how the SS and US medicare works in the US. She may know more then me and I'm a US citizen.

Sounds like I'm being hard nosed but reality is that a forum is for many people while it seems to have turned into a two person dialogue.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,737,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I have tired of these two also.....

Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 AM

47,586 posts, read 32,249,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I don't think most Mexicans can afford private health care in the USA -- healthcare is much more expensive for those who pay for it in the USA than it is in Mexico.

I know a guy from Mexico who isn't on Medicaid because he's not here legally and doesn't have children here and he has to pay $80 for the same medications in the USA that he can get for $30 back home, and the doctor visit is much more affordable back home.

For paying patients -- rich or poor, Mexico's health care is much much more affordable.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Some of you need to visit Mexico, or travel more widely in Mexico, or actually interact with Mexicans in Mexico .... before offering comments which are 'off the wall' nonsensical.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 AM

114 posts, read 172,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Mexico has Universal Healthcare, so I don't know where you are getting your information. For most people Seguro Popular is completely free even for us expats. Presidente Calderon has a goal to have everyone in Mexico completely covered with healthcare by the time he leaves office.

Often I use my private doctor, Dra. Erika, who charges $40 pesos a visit and in US Dollars that's about $3 a visit. Most people can afford $40 pesos to see a private doctor. When I see a fancy expensive doctor the charge is about $8 USD a visit.

Mexico provides nursing home care for those who don't have family or the resources to pay. Mexico also has Social Security that many people receive when they retire and they receive medical care through IMSS which is similar to Medicare.

Mexico is a developing country but provides more for its residents in healthcare than does the U.S. Maybe it's because it is against the Mexican Constitution for politicians to bring religion into the argument when running for office so they can't claim to be "good Christians" and then tell their fellow countryman to take a hike and he's on his own if he needs help. Being a hypocrite is not allowed in Mexican politics.
According to an article in "Siglo" a couple of years ago, less than half of the Mexican population is covered by ANY healthcare system with the two largest providers being IMSS and ISSTE. Many neighborhoods in builtup areas have health centers. Many of the Farmacias have a "resident" medico who often charges 25 pesos or so. I remember another article in the Informador in which an elderly couple took in a young man who gave them fifty pesos (mas o menos) daily to cover all three people's expenses.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 AM

6,715 posts, read 7,981,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Most foreigners don't hang out in the one horse, pathetically poor pueblos like you do so i doubt they care about healthcare in tiny towns.

Most Mexicans live in the cities and they can and are be covered by several types of government sponsored insurance.

Guadalajara is a large city but Mexico City is larger by several million and there are dozens of cities in Mexico with close to or over one million people. Their lives are similar to people living in Guadalajara.

If you want to portray the one horse pueblos as the real Mexico so ahead but those of us in Mexico know that the cities are where most Mexicans live. That is like saying 7 Points Texas is an example of all of the U.S.

Freeloaders? You have some serious issues.
Which is a shame. I never for the life of me understood why Americans feel the need to move to Mexico, take over a town, turn it into Gringolandia, and then rant and rave about how much they know Mexico. Mexico is urbanizing, yes, but do you know why? If you haven't spent time in a "pathetically poor" puebla chatting with the women in the fonda, the farmer selling his crops in the market, or the teacher herding shoeless kids down the street, then you don't know a thing about the serious socioeconomic movement toward the cities and how devastating it is on individuals, families, and the pueblas themselves.

30% of the Mexican populations is focused in DF, Toluca, Puebla, Monterrey, and Guadalajara. But what about the rest? Even cities like Oaxaca (where I have lived) have less than stellar facilities, and it's fairly large. Forget about smaller cities (but still very much cities) like Juchitan and San Cristobal. More rural areas don't even have schools, much less medical facilities.

Even DF has almost 9 million people in the city proper (and 21 million in the metro area). Do you really think even half of the population gets adequate access to healthcare. That would be doing better than the US! I will say that one of my "cancer friends" who has the same rare cancer as I do was treated in Guadalajara and received better, cheaper treatment that I did in the States - but she also was already in an upper class.

Real Mexico is the ever-precarious balance between cities, smaller towns, and rural areas. It certainly is not Ajijic or Lake Chapala, any more than Acapulco or Cancun are real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico