Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:54 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I feel pretty confident saying that for most of Mexico, there's no safety net for people. There's no culture of the government taking care of people at this level. There are some limited resources, private resources, for orphanages. Few if any resources for adults with serious problems. People who can't fend for themselves, or contribute financially in some way, are frequently discarded. Swim or sink. Families stick together primarily for economic reasons.
Given the income level of many Mexicans, and lack of government support, that is understandable. The expense of caring for a permanently disabled younger or elderly member, making their houses wheelchair accessible (or even buying a wheelchair), the medication expenses, the Doctor visits, buying diapers, etc., how could an average Mexican family afford this!!!

I'm sure if a Mexican did a tour of one our long-term-care facilities in this country, they'd be shocked speechless, knowing all these people are supported, year after year, through Medicaid or Social Security Disability.

They'd find all ages, those who became disabled through abuse of alcohol/drugs, obese people (obesity is now considered a disease in this country) in extra-size special beds, stroke victims, those permanently disabled through car accidents, etc. All supported by the gov't, no family support!

But the clock is ticking, as this country simply afford this type of care for much longer, draining the gov't, day by day, and we're headed for a collision course!

In the future, this will be a most interesting show to watch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
That's what the U.S. republicans want to make the reality in the U.S.

Privatize everything and let the corporations profit.

And the US Democrats would like to talk about lowering the deficit and debt while spending exponentially.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,184 times
Quote:
I feel pretty confident saying that for most of Mexico, there's no safety net for people. There's no culture of the government taking care of people at this level. There are some limited resources, private resources, for orphanages. Few if any resources for adults with serious problems. People who can't fend for themselves, or contribute financially in some way, are frequently discarded. Swim or sink. Families stick together primarily for economic reasons.
Mexico has Universal Healthcare, so I don't know where you are getting your information. For most people Seguro Popular is completely free even for us expats. Presidente Calderon has a goal to have everyone in Mexico completely covered with healthcare by the time he leaves office.

Often I use my private doctor, Dra. Erika, who charges $40 pesos a visit and in US Dollars that's about $3 a visit. Most people can afford $40 pesos to see a private doctor. When I see a fancy expensive doctor the charge is about $8 USD a visit.

Mexico provides nursing home care for those who don't have family or the resources to pay. Mexico also has Social Security that many people receive when they retire and they receive medical care through IMSS which is similar to Medicare.

Mexico is a developing country but provides more for its residents in healthcare than does the U.S. Maybe it's because it is against the Mexican Constitution for politicians to bring religion into the argument when running for office so they can't claim to be "good Christians" and then tell their fellow countryman to take a hike and he's on his own if he needs help. Being a hypocrite is not allowed in Mexican politics.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
"Mexico is a developing country but provides more for its residents in healthcare than does the U.S."

The above being representative of the comments you've made, in their totality in the response as it pertains to the topic of the discussion, I feel very comfortable saying what you recite may be the government rhetoric, but isn't reflected in the everyday lives of most Mexicans nor do the comments reflect what I believe to be the facts.

"Being a hypocrite is not allowed in Mexican politics."

This is probably the biggest joke of the day. Thanks. LOL!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
"Mexico is a developing country but provides more for its residents in healthcare than does the U.S."

The above being representative of the comments you've made, in their totality in the response as it pertains to the topic of the discussion, I feel very comfortable saying what you recite may be the government rhetoric, but isn't reflected in the everyday lives of most Mexicans nor do the comments reflect what I believe to be the facts.

Your personal attacks get very old.

You have no facts to prove what you claim so you attack the person who does post the facts that prove your fantasies untrue.

Seguro Popular is open to all residents of Mexico:
Comisión Nacional de Protección Social en Salud - Seguro Popular

IMSS is open to all residents of Mexico:
Portal IMSS para tí

For foreigners the annual cost of IMSS is based on age and is anywhere from $100 to $300 a year. IMSS covers 100% of all medical including hospitalization and medicine with no deductible.

There are several other Mexican government backed insurance plans for workers in Mexico.

There are still residents of Mexico who are unaware of Seguro Popular but the government has a goal to sign everyone up who is uninsured under other plans so that everyone is insured.

It is against the Mexican Constitution to bring religion into politics and churches or religious organizations are not allowed to participate in politics as they do in the U.S.

The original Constitution banned religious schools, dictated the number of priests allowed in Mexico and did not allow churches to own property. It was very restrictive on religion and still is. Without religion in politics, Mexico bans the Death Penalty, bans lifetime sentences, allows same sex marriage, etc. Religion in politics is always designed to hurt people, it is vengeful. It is not to promote freedom, fairness and human dignity.

A few of the new Constitutional provisions that give more freedom to churches but still limit religion:
Constitution of Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Still, however, the constitution still does not accord full religious freedom as recognized by the various human rights declarations and conventions; specifically, outdoor worship is still prohibited and only allowed in exceptional circumstances generally requiring governmental permission, religious organizations are not permitted to own print or electronic media outlets, governmental permission is required to broadcast religious ceremonies, and ministers are prohibited from being political candidates or holding public office.
Quote:
I. According to the religious liberties established under article 24, educational services shall be secular and, therefore, free of any religious orientation.
II. The educational services shall be based on scientific progress and shall fight against ignorance, ignorance's effects, servitudes, fanaticism and prejudice.
Wouldn't that be great in the U.S. Constitution, no Creationist allowed?

Quote:
All types of discrimination whether it be for ethnic origin, national origin, gender, age, different capacities, social condition, health condition, religion, opinions, preferences, or civil state or any other which attacks human dignity and has as an objective to destroy the rights and liberties of the people are forbidden.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
To my comment:

Quote:

You've said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Your personal attacks get very old. You have no facts to prove what you claim so you attack the person who does post the facts that prove your fantasies untrue.[/SIZE]
Reading the comment of yours which I responded to in the first set of quotes here I assumed you were joking. Because I don't know of anyone who is familiar with the Mexican political system, the governing of Mexico, current events in Mexico or life in Mexico and who isn't deaf, dumb and blind who would say such a thing with a straight face. Really.

Maybe you meant to use a word, other than hypocrite:

Hypocrite: a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:52 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,015 times
Seguro Popular are hospitals built by the federal government and administered by state governments.

The care and facilities vary among states, some offer good care and others no.

Seguro Popular only cover medical consultations, medicines and emergency care.

The OP wants to know what Mexico is whether there are institutions where patients can be maintained with a disability, some exists , but not by the state.

And yes, the mexican politicians are the worst in the universe, no one can defend them.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
To my comment:
You've said:

[font=Times New Roman]

Reading the comment of yours which I responded to in the first set of quotes here I assumed you were joking. Because I don't know of anyone who is familiar with the Mexican political system, the governing of Mexico, current events in Mexico or life in Mexico and who isn't deaf, dumb and blind who would say such a thing with a straight face. Really.

Maybe you meant to use a word, other than hypocrite:

Hypocrite: a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
No religion in Mexican politics keeps out the riff raff who pretend to love their fellow man but who are only interested in enslaving their fellow man and self promotion. Look at the U.S.A. as an example. Politicians who claim to be Christian do the opposite of what Jesus would do. They demand the death penalty for crimes, demand lengthy sentences, think a government contract (marriage) is given by God so they can promote their own prejudices, etc. They want to make sure women cannot get rid of a man's seed so they want to stop contraceptives and abortions. They don't represent anything Jesus would want, especially the death penalty. Jesus was subjected to the death penalty so I doubt he's for it.

What few resources Mexico has, it spends those resources trying to take care of its people and this is without politicians being able to claim one is more religious than the other.

You did defined hypocrite correctly and hypocrites are the people I described above:
Quote:
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize in physics, University of Texas at Austin.
Quote:
"You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain." Exodus 20:7
Do not be a hypocrite by vainly claiming to believe in Me and then doing what I would not want. That is taking the Lord's name in vain which is typical of "Christian" politicians.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Seguro Popular are hospitals built by the federal government and administered by state governments.

The care and facilities vary among states, some offer good care and others no.

Seguro Popular only cover medical consultations, medicines and emergency care.

The OP wants to know what Mexico is whether there are institutions where patients can be maintained with a disability, some exists , but not by the state.

And yes, the mexican politicians are the worst in the universe, no one can defend them.
Read the Seguro Popular link I posted. SP covers more than what you listed.

I'm a U.S. citizen living in Mexico and I've had many U.S. politicians in my family. The U.S. has the worst politicians, much worse than Mexico. With Mexico getting rid of it's slander and libel criminal laws, all government will turn around because reporters will be able to report and print the truth about politicians. Freedom of speech is the greatest guard against corruption.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:15 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
Quote:
[b]
It seems more like being a hypocrite is a prerequisite to becoming a politician. Greed, money and power are pretty powerful forces, with or without religion involved.

You guys sound like you are talking about 2 different countries in regards to healthcare issues in Mexico. Interesting discussion though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico