Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 82,593 times

Advertisements

I am retired on limited income and look for every chance to save a $. Need dental work and will consider Mexico. Any info about Dentists across the Texas Border?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 02:28 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Several months ago, there was a program on tv about Dr. Jose Diaz Barboza. Don't know where he is located in Mexico, but there were very positive things said about him. He speaks English and has quite a loyal following from the States.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:54 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,073 times
My husband, my father-in-law and I are going to Juarez for our dental work for a while now. There are many good, and many bad dentists. But the ones that we are going to are awesome. Plus they know English - most of them. They do GREAT job, at MUCH cheaper prices...PM me for details if you want.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:25 PM

38 posts, read 283,211 times
Is there some reason why you want to go to Laredo or Juarez? I, personally, try to stay away from them. You don't mention where you would be starting from. Have you tried reading some of the other "dentist" threads?
Dentist in Acuna Mexico City

Old 09-19-2007, 08:44 AM

8 posts, read 82,593 times
I don't have serious dental problems - just need to have a couple of things done and hate that dentists charge so much - and that medicare doesn't cover it. Thought I would take care of this while in Texas.

Actually, I'm starting from Jacksonville FL and will be in Colorado Springs for however long I can stand the winter weather. I am retired - debt free but challenged a bit with less income than I would like. But aren't we all? I want to experience some parts of the country I've only breezed through and Texas is one of those. Also wanted to experience California but hear that jobs are hard to get. I do plan to work for as long as this body will hold up. May buy a Cl B and see how many places I can visit while working at the same time.

Any help anyone can be will be appreciated. I should be on the road, either car or Cl B by end of October.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:59 PM

38 posts, read 283,211 times
There are good dentists at the border towns, you just have to know which ones, or screen them. When I picked my orthodontist (see link in previous post), I went with the yellow pages in hand and spent an entire day in each of several towns, from Progreso to Acuna, getting consultations from each. It became obvious real quick which one was the winner. Of the others, one was so rough I figured he had been a construction worker in a previous life, some did not use modern techniques, some had filthy offices. I don't want to sound like I'm on commission, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you to the dentist(s) in Dr. Berlanga's complex. Message me directly if I can provide you directions.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 PM

12 posts, read 73,792 times
Although I was a bit scared (not because of crime, because of pain), I went to a dentist at the Hospital de Especialidades (hospital of specialties) to have a root canal in Nuevo Laredo. He gave me the option of extraction for $100 or root canal for $250 - I opted to keep my tooth and it didnt hurt like I thought it would and had no problems; I was impressed. The dentist was recommended by a friend but I forgot his name.

I also saw an orthodontist Dr. S. Muñoz, who sees mostly US clients and also had no problems. His US training & license also let him accept my dental insurance I had at the time. My teeth were not in that bad of shape but his work made them straighter than I thought they could be.

Doctors and dentists in Mexico (& other countries) have a different philosophy for treating patients than US medical professionals. Its both good and bad but when you no longer have insurance or you need to be seen a.s.a.p. instead of waiting for a few weeks for an appointment, Nuevo Laredo has some good options - but only if you are comfortable going across. My blonde, blue-eyed non-Spanish-speaking friend would ask me to drive her across every time she had a splinter but other friends won't even go near downtown. To each their own.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Exclamation think ahead! Please

I probably shouldn’t make this post but I seem to feel it is needed.

First I myself have not had any dental or medical work done in Mexico. However I have heard of good reports about both of these services. I’m sorry I can’t give names or locations of who or where at this time.

IMPORTANT
note,,,,, if you are going over the border for these reasons or others, there may be some of you who “forget” and also take with you guns, ammunition, and prescription drugs. These items are not looked at favorably by the Mexican authorities and also may present a problem when returning to the U.S. Please have prescription drugs in bottles that are properly marked! My wife has a tendency to take several meds and place them into another “unmarked” container for easier handling while traveling. If you’re buying prescription drugs that are needed, you must have your doctors prescription and take it to a Mexican doctor for their written prescription in order to buy and have the drugs with you.

It’s easy to drive your personal car across the border, but don’t forget to remove items that will cause you trouble in Mexico or when you reenter the U.S.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
That was a good post AksarBeN, I upped your rep for it.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 8,335 times
I see that many people are experiencing the same problems I have while living in Mexico: It is difficult to get information. I am covered by Medicare and United Healthcare in the US. United Healthcare claims to provide coverage "worldwide" yet offers no specific information on coverage outside the US. I am living in Ciudad Juarez where there are countless dental and medical clinics, but none have been able or willing to provide me with insurance information.
For those coming into Mexico, bear in mind that your 800 toll-free numbers to the US can not be used from Mexico. Many insurance companies, banks, and other agencies offer nothing but these 800 toll-free numbers to call for questions or to report problems. Some offer Internet messaging, but the responses are slow in coming, tend to be automated or otherwise "robotic," and often fail to adequately address the issues that concern you.
Although it is true that dental and medical expenses in Mexico can be one-fourth or less than the cost of equivalent services in the US, the fees can still be prohibitive if you are on a fixed income. For example, I need cardiology lab work done about once a year. This testing can cost in the range of 3000 US dollars. Angioplasty can be in the 90,000 US dollar range. Even at one-fourth the US cost, this is more money than I can handle as out-of-pocket expenses.
Sorry I can not offer names of particular dentists or physicians in Juarez, but, until I can find some sort of Mexican health insurance coverage, I still have to go to El Paso for medical care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico