Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
You might want to visit Mexico City one day, and listen to the music played there. From what you've said above I doubt you've been there.
Nobody's ever been to Mexico except you. Your response to every post is to lord it over people and say they've never been there.

You don't have to go to Los Angeles, to see how Los Angeles culture has influenced America, nor to see how other parts of the USA have retained their own pockets of non-californicated culture.

Mexico City is the most globalized, and therefore the least Mexican, place in the republic, and no thanks, I might NOT want to visit Mexico City one day.

Re: cartel music, so what? American Country Music has been taken over by Flag-waving Gun-toting Hate-mongering War-loving conservatism, too, but that doesn't detract from the legitimacy of the genre as a bulwark against urban shlock (which glorifies a cultural posture no better than the cartels) and country music remains representative of a deeper-based culture which doesn't necessarily subscribe to the lyrical sentiments.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-30-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Music and dancing in Mexico are different based upon my personal experience.

Getting married to a Mexican National in Mexico City...the reception was the jitterbug way.

Attending a friends daughters Quincenera in Sonora was again different (which I thought was real nice).

In Northern Baja find the dancing to be what I call the Mexican quick step and a combinatio n of the Texas cowboy methods thrown also.

Again just what I've seen and done from a personal experience/perspective.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nobody's ever been to Mexico except you. Your response to every post is to lord it over people and say they've never been there.
True, when someone posts comments which I believe have no basis in fact or reality. Such as this:

Quote:
Mexico City is the most globalized, and therefore the least Mexican, place in the republic, and no thanks, I might NOT want to visit Mexico City one day.
Least Mexican? Get real. Now I suspect you haven't traveled in Mexico at all, Because if you have you would understand how off the wall such a statement sounds/is.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,751 times
Quote:

I think you meant to say Cancun.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Now I suspect you haven't traveled in Mexico at all,.
There -- you did it again. It's like a nervous tic you have.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:39 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I don't know how anyone can say that Mexico City is the least Mexican place in Mexico. There are only 72,000 foreigners living in Mexico City, a city of over 8 million people, not counting the Metro area!

Tourism is not even the driving force of Mexico City's economy.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
There -- you did it again. It's like a nervous tic you have.

Since you've never been to Mexico City, about which you've been offering opinoins ... I'll wish you a good evening, no matter on which planet you find yourself.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Since you've never been to Mexico City, about which you've been offering opinoins ... I'll wish you a good evening, no matter on which planet you find yourself.
There is a virus in your computer. It scans forums, and wherever it finds the word "Mexico", it posts a message under your login name that says "You've never been to Mexico". Nothing else, no explanations or arguments or data, just "You've never been to Mexico". You might want to get that looked into.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:

You don't have to go to Los Angeles, to see how Los Angeles culture has influenced America, nor to see how other parts of the USA have retained their own pockets of non-californicated culture.

Re: cartel music, so what? American Country Music has been taken over by Flag-waving Gun-toting Hate-mongering War-loving conservatism, too, but that doesn't detract from the legitimacy of the genre as a bulwark against urban shlock (which glorifies a cultural posture no better than the cartels) and country music remains representative of a deeper-based culture which doesn't necessarily subscribe to the lyrical sentiments.
How can you never want to visit Mexico City with it's museums such as the Museum of Anthropology, Ballet Folklorico, the University, Chapultepec?

It's the government and cultural center of Mexico. The religious capitol as well. You cannot claim Mexico City has the most foreign influence and pretend that northern states have none, even the norteno music sound was most influenced by German polkas.

As for cartel music, the norteno narcocorridas, they recruit killers, glorify the hitmen as well as the criminal jefes and their greed and lust for power that are destroying Mexico.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How can you never want to visit Mexico City with it's museums such as the Museum of Anthropology, Ballet Folklorico, the University, Chapultepec?
If I went to Surinam or Mauritania or Turkmenistan or Nauru and all I saw was the museum, the university, a city park and a troop of well-trained professional dancers in traditional costumes, I would consider that a trip wasted. Those are exactly the things I avoid when traveling, for they offer no reflection at all on what the country truly is at its heart.

Imagine meeting someone abroad who told you "Yes, I know America well. I took a Gray Line tour of the NY Museum of Natural History, Columbia University, a performance of Copeland's "Rodeo" and Central Park".

I've been to Mexico City more times that I would ever wish to, and seen absolutely nothing there that would inspire me to ever want to go back there again. The world consists of more wonders than its museums and universities and theatrical performances and manicured grounds of its urban parks.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-04-2012 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico