U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 PM
 
98 posts, read 91,886 times
Reputation: 84
Default Why do Mexican cities looks more colorful and modern than US cities

??
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2012, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Minnesota, USA
7,280 posts, read 7,167,194 times
Reputation: 5804
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post
??
Modern? Who said that?

I will not argue with Mexican cities being more colorful. It's a cultural preference.

I recommend this blog post:

A controversy over color in downtown Faribault Minnesota Prairie Roots
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 PM
 
98 posts, read 91,886 times
Reputation: 84
Yes mostly colorful
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM
 
Location: orange county
42 posts, read 35,710 times
Reputation: 48
Modern??? What? The only aspect of them being more modern is their good usage of public transportation.

Colorfulness is a popular form of architecture, that's just like asking why California has so many tile roofs, why there are so many colonial style homes in the northeast, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2012, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
10,902 posts, read 8,638,899 times
Reputation: 13870
IMO, modern = building your homes out of concrete that will last longer.
Old-fashioned = building your home out of wood that could get destroyed by a raging brush fire.

If you study chromotherapy, it has been proven that color can help cure people.

This is what Las Vegas needs, as they're stuck-stuck-stuck on this insistence on using earth-tone coloring throughout the Valley. And even these miles and miles of walls in this city, earth tone coloring only!

And then when some colorful graffiti artist splashes some bright coloring on one of its walls, to add some much-needed color to this drab city, the graffiti squad is right there to erase it!

This city is awash with strict HOA groups who forbid adding any color to their neighborhoods! How sad and pathetic!

Long live color!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Newcomer to the Cleveland area
1,141 posts, read 539,162 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post
??
They don't.

Drive off the main roads and tourist areas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 AM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,939 posts, read 3,009,045 times
Reputation: 3381
Quote:
Why do Mexican cities looks more colorful and modern than US cities?"


I suspect you haven't traveled in either country, very much.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,728 posts, read 34,475,894 times
Reputation: 28438
Mexicans have more appreciation for the artistic, and place a higher value on thing being done with attention to their artistic appearance. A friend of mine who is an artist noted in Mexico that even the simplest vendors always make their signs artistically attractive, done with care and pride, using calligraphic lettering. The graphic arts are very much front and center in the lives of Mexicans. The same with folk architecture -- even the simplest houses will always be built with flourishes.

Also their sense of fashion always emphasizes the colorful and ornamental, although this has become heavily American Punk in recent years, as has the rest of the world.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 01:51 PM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,939 posts, read 3,009,045 times
Reputation: 3381
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Mexicans have more appreciation for the artistic, and place a higher value on thing being done with attention to their artistic appearance. A friend of mine who is an artist noted in Mexico that even the simplest vendors always make their signs artistically attractive, done with care and pride, using calligraphic lettering. The graphic arts are very much front and center in the lives of Mexicans. The same with folk architecture -- even the simplest houses will always be built with flourishes.

Also their sense of fashion always emphasizes the colorful and ornamental, although this has become heavily American Punk in recent years, as has the rest of the world.
From what I've observed, I'd describe your description is more of a Hollywood-conjured image than general truth/fact. Certainly some of it is true. As it's true of many people and areas in the USA which is a grand mix of cultures.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,728 posts, read 34,475,894 times
Reputation: 28438
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
From what I've observed, I'd describe your description is more of a Hollywood-conjured image than general truth/fact. Certainly some of it is true. As it's true of many people and areas in the USA which is a grand mix of cultures.
I've been in Mexico for a month or two almost every year for the past decade, and I can't remember ever seeing a movie about Mexico, so I'm at a loss to understand how my mental picture of Mexico could have come from Hollywood images and remain unalloyed by all that exposure to the genuine article.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top