Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 AM

609 posts, read 2,118,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerjr View Post
married to a mexican citizen and want to retire in mexico want kind of problems will I have?
You will not have any problems. Lots of people that post here may have visited Mexico but have never lived there, so filter what you read.
I am married to a Mexican lady(I guess that makes me a consumer of Mexican products).
I have lived in Huatulco, Ajijic, San Miguel de Allende and have visited most places in Mexico over the past 12 years.
I have never had a problem with crime, and I have found mexicans to be very friendly and not anti american.
Yes, you are better to stay out of major cities like Mexico City, Monterrey and stay away from border towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 04:12 PM

12 posts, read 35,829 times
well
my mom is married to a mexican
he's not a citizen and they both don't want to move to mexico
he say cops over there are crooked
idk
i don't listen to a thing he says though
i love mexicans and i love mexico
and i want to move there
=]

Old 01-02-2008, 05:42 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
That is if you see your wife as a product. That was a funny way of wording things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikelP View Post
Marring a Mexican is not a crime. You are now a "consumer" of mexican products. I am also married to a beautiful mexican woman. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 9,893 times
Well, the thing about cops, it is quite true. You have to be careful about that (I'm a mexican living in Puebla, btw). Still, we are very friendly, and quality of life can be pretty good provided you have a professional title.

Wages are not so great, expect something around 12000 USD per year for a well paid job.

However, there are its pros. Government does subsidize health care (or you can get private health care if you want), as I mentioned, people are very friendly and climate is pretty good, snow falling is a pretty big event as it is virtually absent in most of the country. Also, beatiful beaches abound and in the big cities there's always something to do.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:05 PM

32 posts, read 81,604 times
I'm thinking of doing this too, I think it would be great- imagine not having to have your credit checked for anything! If you have got an income coming from the US, your set!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:27 PM

5 posts, read 17,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerjr View Post
married to a mexican citizen and want to retire in mexico want kind of problems will I have?
Hi rogerjr

Yours is a broad question, to say the least, but given that you're married to a Mexican citizen (I'm assuming citizen by birth), you may want to either read legal documents such as the Ley General de Población (General Law of Population or General Population Law), Chapter 3 in particular--or have those principles explained to you either by a Mexican consulate or an attorney specializing in Mexican immigration law (which I am not).

Generally speaking, to the extent immigrants in Mexico understand Mexican law as it applies to them and respect all such laws, such immigrants (temporary or permanent) shouldn't expect many problems at all with the obvious exception of adapting to a new culture (depending on the individual).

Example: If you're a U.S. citizen, you may find that living in Mexico can be much more restrictive than what you're accustomed to. As specified in the Mexican Constitution, as a foreigner, you do not have many basic rights enjoyed by Mexican citizens; that is, even legal immigrants to Mexico do not enjoy, to one extent or another, to cite just a few examples:

- Freedom of Speech (Articles 9 & 33)

- Equal property rights (Article 27)

- The right to due process under the law (Article 33)

My only point and suggestion is that you first understand what you're getting into at the legal level and that you seek professional advice on such matters before you go. Most foreigners in Mexico, I have to assume, aren't bothered by such disparities in fundamental rights. At any rate, Mexico is a sovereign nation whose laws we must respect.

Socially and culturally, you're likely to find Mexico to be a friendly and welcoming adventure.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:28 PM

41 posts, read 172,434 times
Default What was the best city you lived in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
I have lived in Huatulco, Ajijic, San Miguel de Allende and have visited most places in Mexico over the past 12 years.
I have never had a problem with crime, and I have found mexicans to be very friendly and not anti american.
This is an older post so I hope your still posting here. What was the best city you lived in? I am thinking of of taking a trip to Ajijic based solely on what I have read after much research.

Thank!!

Old 05-15-2011, 12:47 AM

9 posts, read 30,249 times
Apply immediately for the FM2 immigrant visa. If you do, and as you are married to a Mexican spouse, you can have your dual citizenship in 2 years.

If you are retired and on US Social Security you will have a fixed income ready for Mexico living. In general, the farther south in Mexico you live, the smaller earned income Mexicans have, therefore it is cheaper to meet general standards of income.

For example, the per capita income in Chiapas is less than $4,000 USD per year, but it is about 4-6 times that at least in the more expensive cities of Monterrey and Mexico City. You would be rich in Chiapas and other cash and earning poor areas of the country, but just so-so off in the richer areas of the country. There are great regional disparities of income in Mexico.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Like most third world countries, the police are not your friend, so avoid them. They are unlikely to pay any attention to you, except if you are driving. If it's just a routine spot-check, you'll be waved through with everybody else, if your car papers are in order. If you're in violation and get stopped for that reason, the small "fine" can often be paid on the spot. Don't expect a receipt.

Like everyone else, Mexicans can read body language. If you respect them and trust them and are open to their culture and willing to embrace it and be on friendly terms with them, they will know it, and you will have a very enjoyable experience among the Mexicans.

Expect everyone to speak Spanish only. If they offer to speak English to you, that's fine, but otherwise, don't expect anyone to know a single word of English.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:06 PM

50 posts, read 202,225 times
I've been here since 2005 and married a Mexican woman in 2006. I went back to the US and abandoned my FM3 visa in 2008, but we came back in early 2009 and have been here every since.

We live in Guadalajara and it's a great city. Although we are young and have young children, so I think we may migrate back to the US in about a year to raise the kids (guess we'll see how the economy looks then)..

I've seen some chatter here that with an FM2 visa and marriage to a Mexican may qualify me for citizenship / permanent residency. That would be nice b/c I wouldn't have to deal with Mexican Immigration every year and (ideally) could come and go as I please. My FM2 is about to expire in a month.. Anyone know the details regarding how to get Citizenship or a longer term visa based on my marriage to a Mexican? Is it more of a pain to get then the visa renewal process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico