Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,149,977 times

Advertisements

An interesting article.

BBC News - Mexico passes law to compensate victims of crime

"Members of Congress in Mexico have unanimously approved a bill which will provide compensation to the victims of organised crime.
The law will create a national body to record such crimes as kidnapping and forced disappearances.
It will also oversee legal, medical and financial support to crime victims."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,488,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
An interesting article.

BBC News - Mexico passes law to compensate victims of crime

"Members of Congress in Mexico have unanimously approved a bill which will provide compensation to the victims of organised crime.
The law will create a national body to record such crimes as kidnapping and forced disappearances.
It will also oversee legal, medical and financial support to crime victims."
I don't think much good will result from this, because people fear the police and law enforcement/judicial authorities as much as they fear the criminals and terrorists. Only a small percentage of crimes are reported for that reason.

However, efforts to create a national database of crimes, if properly funded and competently managed, would be a great step forward for the nation because no such database exists at this point. There will be challenges in accomplishing that, though - including but not limited to: 1) long-term funding, 2) rooting-out corrupt government employees (including police, prosecutors and judges), and 3) uniform classification of crimes.

When it comes to alleged victims seeking compensation under the program, "proof" may be difficult to establish. Kidnapping, as one example, occurs at rates higher in Mexico than probably any other place on Earth. It's not the wealthy who are most targeted, but, rather, the middle-class and lower middle-class. Many of the families of victims pay ransom with money that's been unreported to the government (for tax purposes) and/or money that is not kept in a bank but elsewhere. Many people will be reluctant to seek the compensation in order to preserve confidentiality.

Time will tell if the weight of the governments ... federal, state and local ... is truly behind the program and if the public trusts it enough to participate.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 AM

155 posts, read 360,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I don't think much good will result from this, because people fear the police and law enforcement/judicial authorities as much as they fear the criminals and terrorists. Only a small percentage of crimes are reported for that reason.
You again GOMEXICO, I am not surprise at all to see you use ignorance and uninformed personal opinions as a matter of fact. You seriously need to visit Mexico someday and have a very good look around, I am guessing you have never been here. If you'd like to come to the Colonial Higlands, please be my guest, you can stay in my place.

You have not personal knowledge so as to unreported crime rate at all. Have you heard the term Dark Figure? In México, as in most countries aroound the world crimes are not reported because they are not perceived by the victim as important enough. Mexico is of no exception when it comes to this.

Have a look by yourdelf and tell us what you found about unreported crime rate in Mexico, please.

http://www.icesi.org.mx/documentos/publicaciones/cuadernos/cuaderno_8.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
However, efforts to create a national database of crimes, if properly funded and competently managed, would be a great step forward for the nation because no such database exists at this point. There will be challenges in accomplishing that, though - including but not limited to: 1) long-term funding, 2) rooting-out corrupt government employees (including police, prosecutors and judges), and 3) uniform classification of crimes
You have not heard about Plataforma México (national database of crimes), have you?
http://scm.oas.org/pdfs/2008/RM00021T.pdf

Quote:
Kidnapping, as one example, occurs at rates higher in Mexico than probably any other place on Earth.
So, kidnnaping occurs at rates higher in Mexico than probably any other place on Earth? Do you actually know how many kidnnapings are reported, estimated as unreported, and the rate per 100,000 annually? (You do not).

For more information on crime (all sorts of crime) take a look buddy:
http://www.heuni.fi/Satellite?blobta...pplication/pdf

Quote:
Many people will be reluctant to seek the compensation in order to preserve confidentiality.
So, if you have no knowledge about life in Mexico at all, on what grounds you enable yourself to make such statements? How can you dare to speak in the voice of Mexicans?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Gomexico, there is a sentence I have never seen you posting, the one that would completely transform your hatred and biased views towards Mexico into your own personal opinions, and would validate them.

You should always start by typing: "In my own personal view"

That would be wise.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geree View Post
You again GOMEXICO, I am not surprise at all to see you use ignorance and uninformed personal opinions as a matter of fact. You seriously need to visit Mexico someday and have a very good look around, I am guessing you have never been here. If you'd like to come to the Colonial Higlands, please be my guest, you can stay in my place.

You have not personal knowledge so as to unreported crime rate at all. Have you heard the term Dark Figure? In México, as in most countries aroound the world crimes are not reported because they are not perceived by the victim as important enough. Mexico is of no exception when it comes to this.

Have a look by yourdelf and tell us what you found about unreported crime rate in Mexico, please.

http://www.icesi.org.mx/documentos/publicaciones/cuadernos/cuaderno_8.pdf (broken link)

You have not heard about Plataforma México (national database of crimes), have you?
http://scm.oas.org/pdfs/2008/RM00021T.pdf

So, kidnnaping occurs at rates higher in Mexico than probably any other place on Earth? Do you actually know how many kidnnapings are reported, estimated as unreported, and the rate per 100,000 annually? (You do not).

For more information on crime (all sorts of crime) take a look buddy:
http://www.heuni.fi/Satellite?blobta...pplication/pdf

So, if you have no knowledge about life in Mexico at all, on what grounds you enable yourself to make such statements? How can you dare to speak in the voice of Mexicans?
At this moment I'll comment on just one thing and leave the rest for later - if at all.

In 2010, the officially reported rate of kidnapping in Mexico I have seen statistics for was 19.5 per 100,000. Probably only 1/2, or maybe even less, of the kidnappings were reported or they recorded by law enforcement as robberies instead of kidnappings and therefore the 19.5 number is in all liklihood much higher. Relatively few of the kidnappings are said to be either investigated or prosecuted.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
At this moment I'll comment on just one thing and leave the rest for later - if at all.

In 2010, the officially reported rate of kidnapping in Mexico I have seen statistics for was 19.5 per 100,000. Probably only 1/2, or maybe even less, of the kidnappings were reported or they recorded by law enforcement as robberies instead of kidnappings and therefore the 19.5 number is in all liklihood much higher. Relatively few of the kidnappings are said to be either investigated or prosecuted.
I finally agree with something you say gomexico. It has been said that although the kidnapping rate in Mexico is about 1.5/100,000, a huge number of illegal immigrants from Central America are being forced into some kind of kidnapping every year (up to 20,000 out of half a million migrants), this kind of kidnapping is called migrant/human smuggling.

Migrants from Central America use criminal networks when they hire transportation, so they are basically surrendering themselves to kidnappers.

Now, do you understand the depth of your irrational thinking? According to you, me, living in central Mexico, am exposed to kidnapping at a rate of 19.5/100,000 just by living here?

Now, if you want real statistics on human smuggling, I can direct you to the latest UN report.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:16 PM

And, again, I am not saying there is not crime in Mexico.

But the Mexico you (gomexico) depict is a hell of a savage jungle.

I insist, you should just relax, love life, have a corona and head down to Mexico for a long stay, mingle with Mexicans, find a senorita bonita and have a little Mexican baby girl, then let her show you the amazing wonders of life (wherever we are).

Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 PM

Geree, since you haven't learned much about Mexico, and probably haven't traveled far from your Mother side ... I'll provide you with this, a glimpse of the Mexico you've likely never seen - and a decent way to end a discussion to which there is no end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mwbVryvVpE4

Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM

836 posts, read 2,946,601 times
funny, first was the lady from Chapala who fought with all in all the threads of Mexico Forum, and now this man with nothing to do, does the same thing.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Geree, since you haven't learned much about Mexico, and probably haven't traveled far from your Mother side ... I'll provide you with this, a glimpse of the Mexico you've likely never seen - and a decent way to end a discussion to which there is no end:

Mexico City - YouTube
I really wasn't expecting any different from you gomexico. Really. (You don't even stand by your won comments and views).

Won't take long before you are posting again any one of the following:

The Mexican government lies all the time
Mexican tourism is dying
Mexicans are poor
Mexicans are uneducated
Nobody in this forum has been to Mexico
I know all about Mexico
Mexico is as violent and dangerous as Bagdad
Mexican government urges its people to enter the U.S. illegally
Health care in Mexico can not be good
etc., etc., etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico