Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 01:18 PM

355 posts, read 1,187,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
There's a long history of internal racism and cultural bigotry based on racial/ethnic identity, and it's been that way largely since the Spanish came and called everyone savages and destroyed so much of what existed. The Church didn't help. It's not as prominent today as it used to be, but it still very much exists, and I have seen examples of it, myself.

More than 100 Indian nations summing 500.000 formed a coalition with 1500 Spanish to destroy Aztecs. Aztecs (North Americans) believed that all non-Aztec Indians making up their empire were cattle, just slaves to sack and bodies to sacrifice to Huitzilipotxi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 01:20 PM

In Mexico they ask for people with European appearance in many jobs, so it could be very well be economic.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:39 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,599,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
sorry for my english, but im not a english native speaker.

i have read in some many places where chicanos post if the passes like a white? or if you go to the united states they use any kind of body cream to make their skin look with, or a lot of them paint their hair to a "blonde" color.

why they try to appear what they are not. of course, the worst thing of all is to see mestizos arguing that they are descendant of spaniards, when they look completely different for a trained eye.

let's be honest, real white people in mexico are less than 5%, 90% of whites are of the elite, of course, people who do not cross the border to the usa looking for better oportunities.

for being honest, i have never seen a white mexican in the united states. maybe some "gueros de rancho" that are blonde mexicans but with amerind features.
People of all races dye their hair it doesn't mean they do it to try and look white. Also, there was a genetic study conducted in 2010 that said 18% of Mexicans are of European descent, 65% are mestizo (which I believe they said included those with 1% indigenous blood or 1% European blood) and 10% pure indigenous (don't recall what the last percentage mentioned, but I'll. Look for a link). Also, being white can mean different things to different people; there are some who think only WASPS (white Anglo Saxon Protestant) are true whites so it depends on who you ask in terms of physical appearance.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,470,203 times
All of the "Chicano's" I've met in my life are fiercely proud of their Mexican heritage and I've never known one or heard of one wanting to have white skin. That would be contrary to their beliefs.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,443,395 times
While in DF I had at least two women specifically ask me if they looked white or indio. At first I didn't really understand the question. Then I began to realize there is a definite social obsession about that.

I agree in DF that the USA is not in the forefront of the average person's consciousness. It's kinda far from the USA, and due to the hysterical paranoia in the USA about MX, there isn't a very large USA presence there - so why should they muse things American? The USA influence there is lower. I heard a lot of music in French, Russian, and Czech being played there. I observed more Europeans in DF than USAans.

As Tiger points out, in Asia there is is an ancient attraction to whiteness - thus the kabuki and those painted white women - but that whiteness does not mean they are trying to be caucasian - they are just trying to be white.

Personally I agree with Louis Armstrong. The colors of the rainbow are pretty. There is beauty in all colors and people should just be who they are not drive themselves crazy trying to be who they are not. Each different color of the human rainbow adds beauty. One born blue should not go mad trying to be red.

I do agree with Axixic2 as usual. Pretty gets more favors. Tall blonde and white in DF is an unusual type of beauty in DF thus exotic for them. I felt the same sort of reaction, and it was nice. Problem for me was I had to tell all the Russian chicks to leave me alone so I could talk to the Latinas (my type) who were shyer.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:23 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,331,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
All of the "Chicano's" I've met in my life are fiercely proud of their Mexican heritage and I've never known one or heard of one wanting to have white skin. That would be contrary to their beliefs.
I guess you haven't met too many then.

Women in every culture are always trying to change their looks. Wavy haired women, straighten their hair. Straight haired women try to make it curly or wavy. Ivory skinned women try to suntan or use an artificial cream suntan. Brunettes change their hair color, as do read heads and blondes. Short women try to look taller with spike heels. Flat chested get fake boobs. Large breasted get reductions.

That is true about women in every culture and with many men. Elvis had blond hair and dyed it black.

Being proud of one's culture and heritage has nothing to do with enhancing one's appearance.

But, from where you say you travel in Mexico, the off the map very poor areas, you are probably only meeting females who don't have an extra peso to spend on cosmetics. Most of the foreigners who travel Mexico try to avoid those areas because they can afford to, and they aren't looking for pitifully poor people to exploit.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:32 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,331,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I do agree with Axixic2 as usual. Pretty gets more favors. Tall blonde and white in DF is an unusual type of beauty in DF thus exotic for them. I felt the same sort of reaction, and it was nice. Problem for me was I had to tell all the Russian chicks to leave me alone so I could talk to the Latinas (my type) who were shyer.
When I was in my 20's and flew into Mexico City about 6 times a year to get a vacation from my crazy husband (ex now), as the passengers deplaned there would be photographers taking my picture. The photographers were usually waiting to see if anyone important got off a plane. One time a woman behind me asked if I was a celebrity, "No, a tall blond."

Back then a tall blond attracted plenty of attention. I doubt that it as true today because so many more foreigners travel into Mexico City.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM

Doggieflute women in Europe pay large amounts of money for a rasta hair style, they all look like dirtbags but they think they are supergroovy snoopy. Caviar left millionares pay lots of money for fancy clothes that make them appear like some inhabitant of a third world gheto.

What about those sun-worshippers from freezing countries? They pay lots of money to get a tan.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:43 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,470,203 times
It's been true for years ... ad agencies in Mexico would rather use models (male and female) who were from Argentina than Mexican nationals. Because they didn't look so "Mexican." Illusory. Look at so many of the telenovela stars. Plastic and cosmetic surgery. Each Spring in Mexico City you'll see throngs of young men who've had nose jobs. They don't want to look as Mexican as they were born. People have been exposed to too many movies and too much television from abroad. There's a lack of self esteem. But the world over many people want to be what we aren't.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM

While in DF I had at least two women specifically ask me if they looked white or indio. At first I didn't really understand the question. Then I began to realize there is a definite social obsession about that.

Not so much as in the US. The US must be the only superpower with a "frontier" or "colonial" frame of mind. "We white, them injuns". Quite ridiculous taking into account they live in Indian land.

Mexicans have been like that during the last 450 years. The top of society were Castilians and their Criollo descendants, so everybody wanted to look like them.

Mexicans have beautiful white women, they don't need to import any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico