Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 09:48 PM

356 posts, read 1,066,242 times

Advertisements

I've been curious as of late about what's happening down in TJ. Much to my surprise there seems to be a cultural and culinary rebirth emerging in the second largest city of the Californias.

Interesting read about TJ's new flourishing identity.

The new Tijuana cool - NYPOST.com

Have any of you had a Tijuana experience relatable to the article?

Share your thoughts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Secretly awesome? I've been preaching this to hundreds of deaf ears for too long, calling it "Poor man's San Francisco". Without the steep hills, scenery, proximity to the ocean, it would be another Hermosillo.

The biggest mistake Tijuana ever made was making gambling illegal back in the 30's. Given time, and major investments, it could have rivaled or surpassed Las Vegas, an Atlantic City of the West, if nothing else.

But, I'm forever hopeful Tijuana will shine like the brightest star in the sky some day! I wish them all the luck in the world in re-inventing itself!

Old 05-19-2012, 09:14 AM

356 posts, read 1,066,242 times
^^ interesting! No doubt Tijuana would have been different today had gambling not been abolished. Please, tell more About this poor mans San Francisco! I'm curious..

Maybe "underrated" was the wrong word perhaps "up and coming" is better suited to describe TJ.

Behind the notoriety there must be something else going on in one the largest cities in the Californias.

I find it very exciting that there has been an emergence of the arts, from culinary to fashion and the nightlife, which seems to have Deviated away from the typical tourist drag of revolución street. The dining options alone are enough to make me take a trip to tijuana from Los Angeles. Cevicherías and other eats? Count me in!

Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Its a changed city. Underrated only to the US tourists who dont go there anymore. The old business model of pander to the gringos is gone, now businesses focus on local people. A decade ago most Mexicans from other parts said it wasnt a real Mexican city but that has changed.

Food and drinking have become the big thing now because that is where a Mexican city has an edge on a US city. Shopping and entertainment are better in San Diego because of taxes and infrastructure, but food and booze plus labor are cheaper in Tijuana. So taking that edge and adding in cheaper rents due to the now subsiding violence has made it all go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico