Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 05:28 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,479 times

Advertisements

To read the whole article, you will need to join. There is a free membership avaliable.

Time to ditch the Mexican stereotypes - FT.com

Time to ditch the Mexican stereotypes
By Richard Fisher, president and chief executive officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas

Quote:
For many Americans, Mexico is seen through the lens of immigration or drug trafficking. This is a mistake: it is outperforming the US in many economic areas and provides several important lessons for Washington policy makers that seem unable to make a start on ever more urgent reforms. Mexico has a sound macroeconomic footing and is addressing the microeconomic problems still holding it back. The same cannot be said for the US.
Quote:
Mexico recovered rapidly from the global financial crisis. Real gross domestic product grew 5.5 per cent in 2010 and 3.9 per cent in 2011 after plummeting 6.2 per cent in 2009. Economic output was back to its peak pre-recession level after 12 quarters, bettering the US by nearly a year. Moreover, Mexico’s industrial production surpassed its pre-recession high in early 2011. US industrial production remains 3.3 per cent below its December 2007 peak.
Quote:
On the fiscal front, Mexico ran a budget deficit of 2.5 per cent of gross domestic product in 2011, compared with 8.6 per cent for the US. National debt in Mexico is stable at 27 per cent of GDP, while in the US it is 98 per cent and rising. There is a lesson for America here: Mexico passed a balanced budget rule in 2006, which forced its government to hew to fiscal discipline.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:29 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,224 times
Quote:
Surprisingly, Mexico is one of the most “anti-American” countries in the world. A recent global survey conducted by the BBC revealed that only 13 percent of the population has a “mainly positive” view of the U.S.’s worldwide influence, while 49 percent has a “mainly negative” one. Of the 28 countries surveyed, only Pakistan and Turkey have stronger anti-American sentiment. Both the Egyptians and the Chinese are far more positive than the Mexicans.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...id-unrest.html

Quote:
Mexicans constitute 29.5 percent of all foreign born in the United States, by far the largest group
Quote:

The Philippines and India follow with about four percent each. (Source: March 2005 Supplement, CPS)

The United States issued 906,622 nonimmigrant visas for Mexicans in fiscal year (FY) 2005. In addition, 732,566 laser visas (which replaced the old border crossing cards for those who live on the Mexican side of the border but work in the United States) were issued in FY 2005, down from 1,990,402 in FY 2001. Note: The US government's fiscal year runs from October 1 to September 30. (Source: US Department of State Visa Statistics.

As of March 2006, the estimated unauthorized population in the United States was 11.5 to 12 million, of which 4.5 to 6 million entered legally with inspection and 6 to 7 million entered illegally without inspection. Those who entered legally with inspection include nonimmigrant visa overstayers (4 to 5.5 million) and border crossing card violators (250,000 to 500,000), while those who entered illegally without inspection evaded immigration inspectors and the Border Patrol. On average, there are 700,000 to 850,000 new unauthorized migrants arriving annually by all modes of entry. An estimated 6.2 million (or 56 percent) of all unauthorized migrants are from Mexico. (Sources: Pew Hispanic Center Estimates based on March 2005 Current Population Survey; DHS reports)
http://www.migrationinformation.org/feature/display.cfm?ID=407

Mixed signals.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-28-2012 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: Removed orphan material

Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 AM

689 posts, read 2,161,094 times
Why? Mexico IS different, whether we call them stereotypes or not. Why should we pretend those differences do not exist? We will face very grave consequences, if we continue to insist on just imagining inconvenient truths away.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:02 PM

I know this is confusing but the article is about Mexicans in Mexico and the growing middle class in MEXICO, not Mexicans who migrated to the United States.

The stereotype is that all Mexicans are desperately poor and trying to enter the U.S. The exact stereotypes that you cited.

Could it be that many Mexicans have a poor view of the U.S. because of the way the U.S. has always treated Mexico? Many foreigners must move back home because it is almost impossible to get strong pain relievers in Mexico due to the DEA, but the DEA doesn't stop the flow of illegal drugs into the U.S. No, it's good at stopping legal drugs from being prescribed for a legitimate reason in Mexico. GWB gave Mexico helicopters for the drug war but the helicopters were so worn out Mexico returned them. If a Mexican can't fix something it can't be fixed at all and should have gone to the dump to begin with.

Visit Mexico and maybe that will expand your view of the world around you.

“Poor Mexico: So Far From God, and So Close to the United States” Porfirio Diaz, President of Mexico (15 September 1830 – 2 July 1915)

Old 05-27-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
I know this is confusing but the article is about Mexicans in Mexico and the growing middle class in MEXICO, not Mexicans who migrated to the United States.

The stereotype is that all Mexicans are desperately poor and trying to enter the U.S. The exact stereotypes that you cited.

Could it be that many Mexicans have a poor view of the U.S. because of the way the U.S. has always treated Mexico? Many foreigners must move back home because it is almost impossible to get strong pain relievers in Mexico due to the DEA, but the DEA doesn't stop the flow of illegal drugs into the U.S. No, it's good at stopping legal drugs from being prescribed for a legitimate reason in Mexico. GWB gave Mexico helicopters for the drug war but the helicopters were so worn out Mexico returned them. If a Mexican can't fix something it can't be fixed at all and should have gone to the dump to begin with.

“Poor Mexico: So Far From God, and So Close to the United States” Porfirio Diaz, President of Mexico (15 September 1830 – 2 July 1915)
Which is why I posted what I did and stated it is mixed signals. How is it a stereotype when there's statiscal data that confirms millions of mexican nationals claim to hate the US but risk life and limb and leave whole families behind to get here? I cannot count the number of stories that I have read about the children that die in the desert searching for "parents" who left them and came to start new families in the US because having an American child equals a source of income. Mexico's middle class should be growing. After all there are millions of impoverished mexicans now living in the US, having children they can't afford at the expectation of American taxpayers providing a check, housing, education and every need they have. In many cases they are living better than Americans.

As for expanding my view of the world, I have had more than a glimpse of Mexico courtesy of the mexicans living in America. I've lived around them and I'm not fond of the crime, gangs and graffiti which forced me to sell my home and flee, in order to live in the safety and lifestyle that I am accustomed to living. Thanks for the invite, but I'd rather expand my view of the world somewhere else.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 05-27-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-27-2012, 07:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:

Both the Mexicans who have remained in Mexico and the impoverished class that has relocated to the USA are Mexicans.

Most Americans are not living in Mexico and do not see the educated types who can afford to live in Mexico but instead see the indigent uneducated types who can not afford to live in Mexico but come illegally to the USA where food stamps, WIC and the rest make life very affordable for them here.

So yes -- you will see the Mexican who chose to finish his/her education and didn't start having kids by age 13 but is middle class, working, supporting the kids he/she can afford, but anyone in the USA is going to see the other kind, the senorita of age 18 with 4 kids sitting in the welfare office applying for food stamps and WIC.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Both the Mexicans who have remained in Mexico and the impoverished class that has relocated to the USA are Mexicans.

Most Americans are not living in Mexico and do not see the educated types who can afford to live in Mexico but instead see the indigent uneducated types who can not afford to live in Mexico but come illegally to the USA where food stamps, WIC and the rest make life very affordable for them here.

So yes -- you will see the Mexican who chose to finish his/her education and didn't start having kids by age 13 but is middle class, working, supporting the kids he/she can afford, but anyone in the USA is going to see the other kind, the senorita of age 18 with 4 kids sitting in the welfare office applying for food stamps and WIC.

For those who are immature and in denial it is difficult for them to deal with the truth and accept reality. Like children, they hurl personal attacks and tell the poster to go away, thinking that will keep them safe in their world of delusion and denial. Another great post.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

If the kids are U.S. citizens they are entitled to help just like any other American citizen. If they are not legally in the country, they cannot receive benefits.

Whites collect the most in benefits. Latinos second and Blacks third. but that is also how the population breaks down. Many Latinos on the East Coast are Puerto Rican and they are born U.S. citizens.

I know people with a last name like Gonzales whose families have been in the land of the U.S. for 500 years yet people think they must be illegal aliens.

Most Americans see the rest of the world the way they want to see it and with as much erroneous information as possible.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:37 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,540 times
Quote:
Again, because this seems to confound you, the Mexicans (capital M) who live in the U.S., rather, those who risk their lives to enter the U.S. to get jobs like picking lettuce, are the poorest of the poor. Even the poorest of Mexicans have stopped entering the U.S. because they can make a better living in Mexico.

I'm sorry, but I'm confused on this post. Are you saying the poorest Mexican is in the USA, and not in Mexico? Seeing stories on tv, I've seen them living in mud shacks with no running water. I cant imagine any living here in conditions that bad. The neighborhood I escaped, they were living very, very well, though 10-20 to a house.

Do you really not associate with anyone here who uses the emotions? Thats just odd.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm confused on this post. Are you saying the poorest Mexican is in the USA, and not in Mexico? Seeing stories on tv, I've seen them living in mud shacks with no running water. I cant imagine any living here in conditions that bad. The neighborhood I escaped, they were living very, very well, though 10-20 to a house.

Do you really not associate with anyone here who uses the emotions? Thats just odd.
Since 2009 Mexican immigration to the U.S. has dropped off to almost zero. Before that the Mexicans who risked their lives to enter the U.S. were the most desperate with no place to go but up. The economy in the U.S. has made the U.S. unattractive to Mexicans immigrating and the Mexican economy is in better shape than the U.S. economy. Why go to the U.S. and tolerate prejudice, fear of crime and deportation when a Mexican can stay at home in a better climate and earn a living?

I don't know any adults who write "rolleyes" and none of my friends are kids.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.