Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Well they ask the question all the time Pammy. Half the women I chatted with asked me that directly "Do I look white to you?"
I've never asked anyone if I look white or not. When I applied for a Metricula at the Mexican Embassy in 1988, the official told ME I was white. I truly didn't understand what the official was asking. It made no sense to me. It wasn't until later that the caste system & how recently it was still used on birth certificates was explained did I understand. I'm part native, Cuban, French, & Spanish. Although now I am just American.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 PM

11 posts, read 22,313 times
To me most Mexicans are mixed... part Spanish, part Aztec or Mayan or whatever is native to Mexico. I don't see them as none of the latter, but just as Mexicans.

Most Mexicans are brown. The Spanish ones might be olive though, lol... like Italians.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:51 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemation View Post
I don't think that 18 percent of Mexicans are of European descent, not on the wildest dreams.
Why not? There are some states in Mexico that are primary indigenous while others have a more mixed populations of white, mestizo and indigenous people. Perhaps you have visited states that have primarily people of indigenous descent which makes you believe that 99% of Mexicans are Indian; I know some Americans believe that to be the case. In fact, I have encountered this problem with non-Hispanic people who thought I was either Jewish or some type of middle easterner (sometimes I'm asked if I'm Syrian), which makes me assume that they believe the stereotype that all Mexicans are brown. You can see from my profile photo that I'm clearly mestizo, yet for some reason a lot of non-Hispanics don't think I'm of Mexican descent when they first met me.

Last edited by Canaan-84; 09-09-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 12-27-2014, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,192 times
Did you not learn about the Spanish colonization of Mexico? Most Mexicans today have spanish ancestry on different levels. Thats why you see white skined or light skined Mexicans. On my personal level i have Aztec descent and Spanish descent. About 55% Aztec and 45% spanish.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:20 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
On the rare ocassions :-) when I get a traffic ticket in the US, my race is marked as "W."

But trust me, this Mexican is not "W".

Old 12-28-2014, 12:32 AM

346 posts, read 647,275 times
Mexico is like every other nation in the Americas. It originally had Native Americans, then Europeans came to settle after 1492 and brought African slaves in the colonial period. After independence, more Europeans immigrated, along with Asians and Middle Easterners.

The only difference between American nations is the percentages of each group's contribution vary widely. But there are Native Mexicans and mixed-Native Mexicans, White and Black Mexicans, and even Asian Mexicans.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:42 AM

346 posts, read 647,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Why not? There are some states in Mexico that are primary indigenous while others have a more mixed populations of white, mestizo and indigenous people. Perhaps you have visited states that have primarily people of indigenous descent which makes you believe that 99% of Mexicans are Indian; I know some Americans believe that to be the case. In fact, I have encountered this problem with non-Hispanic people who thought I was either Jewish or some type of middle easterner (sometimes I'm asked if I'm Syrian), which makes me assume that they believe the stereotype that all Mexicans are brown. You can see from my profile photo that I'm clearly mestizo, yet for some reason a lot of non-Hispanics don't think I'm of Mexican descent when they first met me.
I think this conception is far more due to the fact that people from specific areas and backgrounds in Mexico tend to go to specific parts of the United States.

New York City and the east coast of the U.S. tend to get immigrants from southern Mexico who are very indigenous looking. When I traveled to New York and Boston with a mostly Mexican/Mexican American group, we were taken for everything but Mexican...Italian, Greek, Middle Eastern, Armenian...in short we did not look like migrant workers. (I am actually of Jewish/Syrian origin on one side, but speak Spanish, which really confused people).

In places like San Antonio or San Diego, people tend to understand that Mexicans are more diverse; there I am much more likely to be assumed to be Mexican, simply because pretty much anyone who is not either very nordic or very black can be there.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 AM

251 posts, read 396,425 times
Definitely not white. Most of the Mexicans are mix of native + Europeans.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:21 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Mexicans are White in the same sense that Americans are White. Meaning if they are White, they are White, and if they are not they are not.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:29 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
I was always curious what racial category most Mexicans belong to? Are they considered white? Mixed?
Mexico is a pretty diverse country, it attracted immigrants from all over back in the day- and there are still a lot of folks there with pre-Columbian roots there too.

Some Mexicans are certainly considered white, like Carlos Slim and Canelo, others no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico