Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:18 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times

Advertisements

It's on a person-by-person basis. I guess you'd have to determine what "looks" white to you. In the South and Midwest, I think the definition of white is narrower than in a place like New York. A Greek or Italian in the South is a different kind of white than a Scots-Irish descended person with auburn hair.

Being from Texas, I've met few Mexicans or Mexican Americans that appeared "white" to me. They can have white skin, but they don't generally look white. They are white the way a Japanese person is white. The skin can be quite pale but it's different in some inexplicable way.

I think it's because white people are often pale but with a certain rosy, reddish tint. Mexicans with white skin don't seem to have the reddish hue...more like brown tint underneath the white.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:11 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
It's on a person-by-person basis. I guess you'd have to determine what "looks" white to you. In the South and Midwest, I think the definition of white is narrower than in a place like New York. A Greek or Italian in the South is a different kind of white than a Scots-Irish descended person with auburn hair.

Being from Texas, I've met few Mexicans or Mexican Americans that appeared "white" to me. They can have white skin, but they don't generally look white. They are white the way a Japanese person is white. The skin can be quite pale but it's different in some inexplicable way.

I think it's because white people are often pale but with a certain rosy, reddish tint. Mexicans with white skin don't seem to have the reddish hue...more like brown tint underneath the white.
Is Russell Brand white?

Believe it or not, he's an Englishman (I can't find anything on him having non-English ancestry). It's not always about appearance.

Guillermo del Toro is a good example of a white Mexican. Guillermo del Toro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They certainly do exist, and they can be of any European background, just as Americans can be. However, they are the minority in Mexico. Most Mexicans are have some amount of Amerindian ancestry.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x8q1 View Post
To me most Mexicans are mixed... part Spanish, part Aztec or Mayan or whatever is native to Mexico. I don't see them as none of the latter, but just as Mexicans.

Most Mexicans are brown. The Spanish ones might be olive though, lol... like Italians.
The Spanish ones are white. We have descendants of those here in NM. They're white, indistinguishable from the Anglos around, by skin color. And most have intermarried among themselves over the centuries, so there's no outside Native or Anglo influence. They're white.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:38 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post

Can you show us a picture of a Mexican Luke that to understand what you mean?

Old 12-28-2014, 06:07 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
^^^I would say Canelo Alvarez fits this criteria, he is obviously light skinned with red hair but he has obvious Amerindian facial features.

Vicente Fox on the other hand could pass for full blooded Euro.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:46 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^^I would say Canelo Alvarez fits this criteria, he is obviously light skinned with red hair but he has obvious Amerindian facial features.

Agreed about Fox. He could pass for central/Eastern European easily. Kind of reminds me of a slimmer Dick Butkus or Mike Ditka.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:01 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post

From his Wikipedia page:

Quote:
His father was ... a Mexican citizen, and his mother ... was Basque from San Sebastian, Gipuzkoa, Spain. Fox's paternal grandfather was ... the son of German Catholic immigrants ...
Vicente Fox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So he's at least 75% white, probably more, if not 100% so.

He looks a bit swarthy to me, but he could easily be of full European descent. Depends on his paternal grandmother, whose origins are not mentioned.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:33 PM

543 posts, read 999,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
From his Wikipedia page:

Vicente Fox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So he's at least 75% white, probably more, if not 100% so.

He looks a bit swarthy to me, but he could easily be of full European descent. Depends on his paternal grandmother, whose origins are not mentioned.
Tons of pure Europeans are swarthy, just saying. My bff is 2nd generation Italian (both parents are from Venezia)...and she's a bit darker than me. I also had a brief fling with a 2nd gen Greek (both parents were from Athens)...who is also swarthy. Don't even get me started on many FSUB co-workers I had back when I lived in the east coast: many were pretty swarthy with black hair.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:07 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,958 times
Mexico is the country of the three cultures since their inception. The Malinche that made possible that the Malinchin could crush Aztecs and Tenochtitlan. As such, is was a painful birth, but that created a very solid nation not based on race and religion. In this sense, the U.S of Mexico is 300 years ahead of the US. Both are bound to become a single country in the future.

Just as in the US, the white ones are white. Criollos are white, some have been living for 400 years in Mexico. If you control the last names of old criollo families, many are direct descendants of Conquistadors and there are more than 500 descendants of Cortez himself.

There are direct descendants of the nations that supported Cortez as Tlascalands, Indian nations that still hold to their heritage, Menonnites, Chinese, Jews, etc.

Just like any American nations, outsiders and locals.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:59 PM

105 posts, read 169,589 times
Mexicans can be any color. My fiance is Mexican American who is brown but her family is all over the place from dark to light skinned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico