Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:05 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,470,340 times

Advertisements

This is the western/Southwestern View from the top of the the Torre LatinoAmericanos. Most of the towers center to right are along the Paseo de la Reforma, which is the Champs De Elysees of DF. The large greenspace at the end of the Paseo in Chapultepec Bosque (Grasshopper Hill Forest) Park. Chapultepec is the Central Park of DF. Also visible (I believe) is the volcano Xitle. I buried a city called Cuicuilco around 200AD.

Yesterday I heard somebody make a comment about how Mexico was so technologically behind the USA. From this view, I would suggest I don't see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 05:31 AM

44 posts, read 66,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
This is the western/Southwestern View from the top of the the Torre LatinoAmericanos. Most of the towers center to right are along the Paseo de la Reforma, which is the Champs De Elysees of DF. The large greenspace at the end of the Paseo in Chapultepec Bosque (Grasshopper Hill Forest) Park. Chapultepec is the Central Park of DF. Also visible (I believe) is the volcano Xitle. I buried a city called Cuicuilco around 200AD.

Yesterday I heard somebody make a comment about how Mexico was so technologically behind the USA. From this view, I would suggest I don't see that.
You can find skyscrapers in Africa. I don't see your point.

Until Mexico puts a rover on Mars, or builds airplanes, or every body has access to telephone services, etc.. you will still technologically be behind the USA period. Most areas in Mexico still do not have DSL or phone service. If your country wasn't next to the US you would still be in the stone age.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:44 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Quote:

I don't think you've made your point. Whichever that might have been.

Regarding the photo: The green area to the right is the Alameda Central (the city's "Central Park"). The Palacio de las Bellas Artes is just outside the photo on the lower right corner. The street to the left of the Alameda is Avenida Juarez. Atop Torre Latino is the city's only "mirador" from which expansive views of the city are observed. Frequent high levels of air contamination often makes it difficult to see much other than the immediate area, however. I recommend the Torre for a visit by persons unfamiliar with the city.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 PM

305 posts, read 750,106 times
Pollution levels are declining every year, and there is less air pollution in DF than several major US cities at this point. Mexico DOES build airplanes by the way. They also build cars (there's a decent chance that car you're driving right now is made in Mexico), and a new BMW factory is on the horizon. I don't think there are many places left that don't have phone service. Certainly not MOST. Ignorance coming through strong on that statement. I'm sure there may be some remote places in the US that also may not have service. Anyway, people like hagendass like to come on here to wave their flag and complain about the border, yada yada. Some people live a miserable existence and everything is negative. How many countries besides the US have "put a rover on Mars"? And when exactly did the US do that?

Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 PM

836 posts, read 2,947,124 times
The neighborhood of Mexico with the United States itself has helped the development of Mexico.

Mexico is the eleventh world economy, with a GDP of $1.231 trillion (nominal; 2012)[1] $1.748 trillion (PPP; 2012)[1]

Member of the G20, OECD, WTO, etc..

Mexico's labor force is 78 million. The OECD and WTO both rank Mexican workers among the hardest working in the world, in terms of the amount of hours worked yearly

Exports
$298.5 billion (2010 est.)[4]
Export goods
automobiles, electronics, televisions, computers, mobile phones, LCD displays oil and oil products, silver, fruits, vegetables, coffee, cotton
Main export partners
US 73.5%, Canada 7.5%, Russia 10% (2010)
Imports
$301.5 billion (2010 est.)[4]
Import goods
metalworking machines, steel mill products, agricultural machinery, metals, repair parts for motor vehicles, aircraft, and aircraft parts, oil production equipment
Main import partners
US 60.6%, China 6.6%, South Korea 5.2% (2010)

Old 08-23-2012, 06:33 PM

Default Torre Latino looking East

The shot is from the top of the Torre Latino looking east. In view directly below is Francisco Maderos Avenue, the Zocalo in the center, and faintly to the right is the active volcano Popocatepetl. Maderos is a very nice, very historic pedestrian only mall that goes from the Torre to the Zocalo. At one time it was considered DF's most fashionable street. I thought my luck was amazing to be in DF while Popo was putting on quite a show. It was actually spewing lava, but I didn't catch that on my camera. People in DF are not worried about Popo. The word Popocatepetl is actually Nahuatl - the language the Aztecs spoke (and many still do). It means "Smoking Mountain". So Popo has obviously been smoking for a long time (2000 years)!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Quote:
People in DF are not worried about Popo.
People with respiratory problems do. It depends on which way the wind is blowing. I remember a couple of times when the wind blew the ask into the city and some sections were covered with about 1/16 to 1/8 inch of the ash and it seemed as if it was snowing outside. That doesn't happen often, but the volcano certainly presents particulate pollution problems at times.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 PM

Default Lago de Chapultepec

Lake Chapultepec - a peaceful and beautiful spot right in the heart of a giant city! It was the first time I ever saw a lake of such a stunning green color. How utterly cool!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:36 AM

Default Torre LatinoAmericana

The Torre LatinoAmericana is the Empire State Building of DF. It is now the 2nd tallest building in DF, recently surpassed by the Torre Mejor outside Chapultepec on Reforma. It has a nice cafe and souvenir shop in the Mirador (Observation Deck). They have a very nice mango cheesecake. It's only four bucks to go up and your pass is good for the whole day if you want to return later. There is also a small museum on the 45th floor with some tidbits about the building, DF and Tenochtitlan.

The view from the top has few rivals.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:49 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,664 times
Nice tidbits about el DF..

Did you know no other city in the America's boasts as many cathedrals as Mexico city ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico