Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 AM

836 posts, read 2,947,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
The OP wrote that his father was interested in living in Mexico for a few years. I did not read that he was planning to purchase property and he will be living in an area that is fairly close to the border. Most of the expats I know of who have moved back to their home countries did so because of age and family, not because they didn't like living in Mexico. Some with low incomes couldn't afford to live in Mexico.
Don't you think US$400 per month is a very low income?

I really don't know, for me is very low, but you have more experience, that's why I ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 07:00 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,340,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post

I really don't know, for me is very low, but you have more experience, that's why I ask.
He wrote that his father also has other income he can draw from and friends who want him to work part time in their business.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,783 times
Move some of your savings $1000 each month to the checkings account for three months and them move them back. Bring only checking account statement and your fine... I know for sure (hint hint)

Old 09-17-2012, 01:14 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdH View Post
Move some of your savings $1000 each month to the checkings account for three months and them move them back. Bring only checking account statement and your fine... I know for sure (hint hint)
That was the sort of info I was looking for thanks.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post

The point of the $400 income wasn't to say this is what he lives off. There are millions in his situation now or soon will be, and people retired officially and looking to spend time in Mexico or elsewhere. It is a great target market if Mexico wants it, but letting them do small jobs to keep busy or for social purposes will be important to many so they best consider how competitive they are if they block any way for them to work.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdH View Post
Immigration in some Mexican states is asking for a letter from the bank saying where the money comes from, SS checks or other sources, because so many have done this. The banks on the other hand are not cooperating too well. Mexico is aware of people shifting funds temporarily and is trying to stop it.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
The point of the $400 income wasn't to say this is what he lives off. There are millions in his situation now or soon will be, and people retired officially and looking to spend time in Mexico or elsewhere. It is a great target market if Mexico wants it, but letting them do small jobs to keep busy or for social purposes will be important to many so they best consider how competitive they are if they block any way for them to work.
Mexico doesn't want to provide jobs to foreigners anymore than the U.S. wants to provide jobs to Mexicans. The Mexican unemployment rate is 5% so most foreigners should be able to find something part time.

There is much needed volunteer work that MX needs and many of us do, build and run animal shelters, help with orphanages, teach English, get rid of graffiti, etc.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 AM

MexConnect.com Forums: General: Living, Working, Retiring: US Bank Letter as Proof of Income

Quote:
SMA Immigration office is requiring a signed letter from our bank to prove that we are getting Social Security and Pension checks monthly. Our bank statements and letters from SSA and Pensions are not enough. Our bank, HSBC USA will not provide the letter. We are applying for Inmigrante(=FM2) after 5 years in Mexico on FM3. Can any one suggest a solution to our problem?
http://www.inm.gob.mx/static/tramite...teRentista.pdf

Quote:
Carta de institución de crédito mexicana o extranjera o institución financiera similar o fideicomiso, en donde se acredite que el solicitante cuenta con recursos suficientes provenientes del exterior y que de éstos, de los rendimientos que produzcan o de sus inversiones en el país, obtendrá durante un año, ingresos mensuales por una cantidad no menor del equivalente a cuatrocientos días el salario mínimo vigente para el Distrito Federal (documentos en otro idioma deben presentarse con traducción simple al español).
Google Translate:
Quote:
Letter institution of Mexican or foreign banking or similar financial institution or trust, where it is established that the applicant has sufficient resources from abroad and that of these, of the income produced or their investments in the country, get over a year, monthly income for an amount not less than the equivalent of four days the minimum wage for the Federal District (Documents in another language must be submitted with translation into Spanish).
MX minimum wages for 2012
http://boletin-infomail.typepad.com/...Dnimos2012.pdf

$62.33 a day Federal District

250 times the Federal District minimum wage

$15582 pesos a month
$1,221.73 USD a month

Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
MexConnect.com Forums: General: Living, Working, Retiring: US Bank Letter as Proof of Income

http://www.inm.gob.mx/static/tramite...teRentista.pdf

Google Translate:

MX minimum wages for 2012
http://boletin-infomail.typepad.com/...Dnimos2012.pdf

$62.33 a day Federal District

250 times the Federal District minimum wage

$15582 pesos a month
$1,221.73 USD a month
That sucks. If it's the same request he would get then he probably will go somewhere else to live for the next 5 years. If they accept his almost six figure liquid balance in his investment account then he might go. He did talk to an advisor he was referred to and was told you never know what answer you will get if you don't have an ironclad check coming from a pension or social security. He said he's seen people with proceeds from the sale of half million dollar homes that they plan to roll into a Mexican home purchase get denied with the officer saying they should have enough money to be good with regular tourist visas. As with US immigration there is nothing strategic about the system.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
That sucks. If it's the same request he would get then he probably will go somewhere else to live for the next 5 years. If they accept his almost six figure liquid balance in his investment account then he might go. He did talk to an advisor he was referred to and was told you never know what answer you will get if you don't have an ironclad check coming from a pension or social security. He said he's seen people with proceeds from the sale of half million dollar homes that they plan to roll into a Mexican home purchase get denied with the officer saying they should have enough money to be good with regular tourist visas. As with US immigration there is nothing strategic about the system.
I know many people here who do not receive the minimum amount from SS to qualify but they have a 401K or other savings that they show to qualify.

The $1000 USD a month is to prove the person has enough income to live on for a year. It can also be the total $12,000 in an account without any monthly income from SS or any other source.

If he only nets $400 a month and can show another account with $7200 USD sitting in it, then it qualifies. Actually he has enough in his regular account to qualify because Immigration doesn't care how much is going out, only how much is coming in. They aren't looking for $1000 USD a month net at the end of the month after bills are paid, only that $1000 USD is going in once a month.

Your dad qualifies so don't worry about it. Tell him to hire a facilitator, a person whose only business is getting FM3/2 for people because that person has contacts within Immigration and will have no problem getting it approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico