Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times

Advertisements

My son played baseball for the Mexican All Star team from Northern Mexico. They played in the International Olympic Tournament in La Paz in 1993. Like my son, there were other players on the team that were Mexicans living in San Diego but playing in Mexico. There was no issue at all with the other players, tournament officials, or the people in La Paz with the fact that some lived in the US. However it was a different story when we payed some of the games in Cd. Constitucion north of La Paz. It is a farming area with a lot of Mexican red necks. A lot of the fans harrassed our players calling them Pochos which is a derogatory term for a Mexican living in the US and insinuates that they are less Mexican. We also had a problem with the people in Mexicali for the same reason whereas we never had any problems in Tijuana, Ensenada, or elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 AM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
We really don't care

I guess we have a lot of problems in our own country to think about others.
That can sound rude, but is actually true, to a point.

In my experience the Mexicans from Mexico are a little more racist towards Mexican-Americans when they are actually in U.S. I think it had to do with being in a foreign country and they are just prideful. I lived in Mexico for 3 years off and on and they are not resentful whatsoever. They are nice and curious but I have never heard anything negative.

In U.S. some people tease me and say how my spanish is awful and I am not a real Mexican cuz I am not from Mexico. But nothing can compare to the negativity I have seen from Mexican-Americans towards Mexicans from Mexico. Jus awful.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM

836 posts, read 2,947,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
That can sound rude, but is actually true, to a point.

In my experience the Mexicans from Mexico are a little more racist towards Mexican-Americans when they are actually in U.S. I think it had to do with being in a foreign country and they are just prideful. I lived in Mexico for 3 years off and on and they are not resentful whatsoever. They are nice and curious but I have never heard anything negative.

In U.S. some people tease me and say how my spanish is awful and I am not a real Mexican cuz I am not from Mexico. But nothing can compare to the negativity I have seen from Mexican-Americans towards Mexicans from Mexico. Jus awful.
nonsense, how can be racist with their compatriots?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 PM

83 posts, read 517,739 times
Mexicans in Mexico do not consider mexican-americans as mexican anymore because to Mexicans, to be a mexican you need to either be born there or at least be raised in the country. Mexican-Americans are too amerinizied even if they do not see it, even if they still celebrate mexican holidays and eat mexican food, their mannerism is still very American. Mexican people act very differently, they are kind people and do not care to reconquer the Southwest of the USA like many of these Mexica Movement members do.

An immigrant that was raised in Mexico is seen as more mexican than a Mexican-American with mexican parents or grandparents. That is how it works in Mexico and in all the countries in the world I believe.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times
Quote:
nonsense, how can be racist with their compatriots?
Nope. Not nonsense at all. I said someone who migrates from Mexico to U.S. act towards someone born in U.S. that is of Mexican descent. I didn't say towards a fellow Mexican born. I am Mexican American and that "you are not a true Mexican" stare and attitude I have gotten all my life from even my own family member who came here I didn't experience while living in Mexico. Not everyone was like that but there is a barrier there.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Nope. Not nonsense at all. I said someone who migrates from Mexico to U.S. act towards someone born in U.S. that is of Mexican descent. I didn't say towards a fellow Mexican born. I am Mexican American and that "you are not a true Mexican" stare and attitude I have gotten all my life from even my own family member who came here I didn't experience while living in Mexico. Not everyone was like that but there is a barrier there.
That is not racism, maybe discrimination...

Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM

275 posts, read 978,140 times
Mexican people have bad references when it comes to their mind the word "mexican-american". Everytime i go to the USA, i always speak to everybody in english, no matter their race. And almost cases i receive an answer, in english despite i have a "foreigner accent".

Always i meet a mexican-american, and i have enough time to conversate for a few minutes, i ask then where their parents come from? You know, i only try to be kind.

I dont have problems that they speak only english, that they've forgotten their mexican roots, etc etc.

2 weeks ago i was on San Antonio, and i sead something in spanish to a "mestizo guy". The first time he respond me on english, but 2 minutes after he told he was born in Tamaulipas, something embarassing in my opinion if you were born in Mexico.

In Mexico City is hard to find mexican-american coming on winter holydays, but in some towns this situation is quite common. I have seen them, behaving very bad, throwing waste everywhere, looking down to the other people, teenagers and boys complaining everything about been in this boring land, loud music, etc etc etc.

I dont have prejuice against them, but most mexicans dont like "pochos" or "chicanos":

Old 02-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
Mexican people have bad references when it comes to their mind the word "mexican-american". Everytime i go to the USA, i always speak to everybody in english, no matter their race. And almost cases i receive an answer, in english despite i have a "foreigner accent".

Always i meet a mexican-american, and i have enough time to conversate for a few minutes, i ask then where their parents come from? You know, i only try to be kind.

I dont have problems that they speak only english, that they've forgotten their mexican roots, etc etc.

2 weeks ago i was on San Antonio, and i sead something in spanish to a "mestizo guy". The first time he respond me on english, but 2 minutes after he told he was born in Tamaulipas, something embarassing in my opinion if you were born in Mexico.

In Mexico City is hard to find mexican-american coming on winter holydays, but in some towns this situation is quite common. I have seen them, behaving very bad, throwing waste everywhere, looking down to the other people, teenagers and boys complaining everything about been in this boring land, loud music, etc etc etc.

I dont have prejuice against them, but most mexicans dont like "pochos" or "chicanos":
You have a lot of prejudices againts mexican-americans...

Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 PM

275 posts, read 978,140 times
Quote:
This are non my prejuices, are just general opinion about them. I invite to re-read my answer and you will notice that i dont have anything against them, even i never look them down in their country.

You are not more than a troll.

This is not a prejuice what i see in small towns, this is what i see. I recommend you to visit a small poor town in central mexico and you will see with your own eyes what im talking about. Most of them, are like this, but not everyboy.

If you would have a prejuice about them, maybe i would not respect them when im having a contact with them. Im always well educated with everybody.

BTW, stop attacking me, this is the unique thing you can do.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 AM

606 posts, read 1,605,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
¿QVO CHILANGO, I'm Chicano y pense q eramos homies!? LOL I'm just kidding ese!

Quote:
I don't know, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but I will tell you this: A lot of Chicanos (my people) bring this on themselves. Like for example, some Chicanos will go to Paisa stores or resturants and then speak to the workers there in English only. I mean, come on! If I am going to a Mexican business, and I speak Spanish, and the person(s) working there do not speak English, I mean you would have to be pretty damn mamon to speak to the Paisa employee in puro Ingles even though you know their language! I hate that!

I think some Chicanos try to speak English to Paisas just to try to intimidate them, or as a way to imply, "I speak English and I'm basically a gavacho and I'm better than you." It is really irritating.

Or even worse, is when a Paisa goes to speak to a Chicano in Spanish, and the Chicano repies, "Uh, I don't speak Spanish". I mean WTF!? You know that they understand and like they say, the got the pinche nopal ahi en el frente!! LOL.

I mean a lot of Chicanos se pasan de mamones y ya se creen gavachos and I as a Mexican-American really find it irritating and sickening. Those are the ones that give us a bad name!

So, unfortunately, I can understand why some Paisas feel negatively toward us.

On the other hand, I will be the first to admit, compared to a Paisa, I speak spanish medio mocho. But you know what? I don't care and I still speak it all the time and I never try to make the Paisas feel inferior to me or try to speak to them in Puro Ingles! I mean, I'm no better than them and really we are the same people as our bloodlines come from the exact same place.

I am Chicano but I have orgullo de ser Mexicano!! And that is what a lot of Chicanos around here lack, and I think for that reason sometimes there exists that tension between the Chicanos and Paisas.

DISCLAIMER: This entire commentary is in regard to living here in the US, I really can't comment on the Paisa vs Chicano relations in Mexico, because I have never actually lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico