Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:24 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,059,306 times

Advertisements

Second, Third, and Fourth Generation Mexican-Americans from lower middle class who

* Know and speak Spanish and English and Spanglish on the dialy basis.
* Eat Mexican Food
* Eat Menudo during weekend mornings
* Dont celebrate mexican holidays
* Have family relatives in Chihuaha and Cd. Juarez
* Watch Mexican Futbol/Soccer Games
* Live in the SouthWest ( Tucson,Phoenix,Boulder,Denver,Los Angeles, El Paso , San Diego)
* Have Mexican and Mexican American relatives who work in careers/jobs ranging from Electrician,Counselor,Doctor,Pharmacist, Engineer, Linemen, Nurse, IT, Call Centers, Administrative Clerks, Welders, Bussines Owners, Banking, Window Cleaners, Housemaids.

I am excluding recent immigrants and mexican americans who have been living in the u.s for many generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 PM

305 posts, read 747,580 times
I'm just curious, but why does it matter?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 AM

836 posts, read 2,937,609 times
We really don't care

I guess we have a lot of problems in our own country to think about others.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:45 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,837,655 times
Does make no beeswax what they think.......actually my experience was they have other major concerns.

When I lived in Mexico City was told by more then one person that Mexican Americans living in the US were Americanized thus were not true Mexicans.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,425,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Does make no beeswax what they think.......actually my experience was they have other major concerns.

When I lived in Mexico City was told by more then one person that Mexican Americans living in the US were Americanized thus were not true Mexicans.

Every time we are in Mexico this is how my Mexican family feels, unless they spent much of their life in Mexico. The differences are obvious and most proper mexicans consider us tourists.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 AM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
It's no different, I believe, with any immigrant group, once they return home to visit, that intuitive sense that they've become a breed apart. Even when traveling to Tijuana, with my Mexican roommate who's been in the U.S. now for 30 years, the police, one night, targeted him on one of our walks. Intuition! They could sense it! This guy's got some money?

I've talked with the Philippino's I work with, and it's the same story when they return to their country! they're targets, with their hands out, the minute they start walking around their home towns! Intuition!

I now have two renting rooms from me, a true Mexican American born here, and a native to Mexico! They're a breed apart!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:00 AM

567 posts, read 1,114,240 times
I'm a 4th generation Mexican-American. A half breed, in fact; my dad's mostly of Okie stock (my use of the term will make sense to other Californians). I can "pass" as Italian or something but my brother looks like an Aztec and therefore cannot. Me, him, and my mom can't speak Spanish for beans. Hell, I've never even been to Mexico, and as far as I know, all my relatives from there are dead.

Anyhow, "Mexicanness" among Mexican-Americans can vary quite a lot. I used to know this girl who was 4th generation like me, but spoke perfect Spanish, lived deep in the barrio, and went back and forth between the US and Mexico constantly. I told her "geez, you're making me look bad." A lot of my friends (mostly 2nd gen) would spend a month or more every summer back down in Jalisco or wherever on the family rancho. George Lopez had a bit about that, where they got all excited about having chicken for dinner, only to be told that they had to go out and catch and kill the chickens first.

As for how Mexican Mexicans regard us, it really depends. The super macho hard drinking gaucho types often have a pretty dim view (I used to get crap from the dad and uncles of one set of siblings I was close friends with), in the same exact way that a redneck might accuse a New York yuppie of not being "a real 'Murrrrican" or of being "Yankee trash." The most common perjorative word is "pocho", which means something like "whitewashed" or "phony Mexican." Whereas those who don't come from that macho subculture will have a more charitable view or will be indifferent.

On the flipside, the insults can go both ways. "Naco" or "chuntaro", both of which are equivalent to "hick", "redneck", or "bumpkin." Assimilated Mexican-Americans might use these words to insult recent immigrants who are uneducated, unsophisticated, can't speak English, wear straw cowboy hats and listen to banda and narcocorridos, etc. There used to be this gang where I was from called "CNS", stood for something in Spanish; you had to be from Mexico to join. Rival gangs called them "chunts never shower."

Anyways, that's all on the extreme end. Most of the time the relations are not so fraught, no different than any other such ethnic/immigrant group in America (Korean, etc.).

Old 02-16-2013, 05:20 PM

307 posts, read 291,094 times
They are down to earth citizens.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,750,444 times
Our family somewhat fits that bill. My wife is from Mexico. We were married there and lived there for 4 years and our daughter was born in Mexico. I am fluent in Spanish and my wife did not speak any English where we were married. We spoke Spanish at all times for the first few years. Our daughter didn't speak English until she was 6 years old. Our son was born in San Jose California and we were very enmeshed in the Mexican community there.

We celebrated all the Mexican holidays and visited Mexico frequently. Fast forward a few years. Our son refused to speak Spanish when he was 8-10 years old. Our daughter could speak it at home but spoke mostly English. Later on when our son was 18 he started speaking Spanish again, he could always understand it. A large reason for him speaking Spanish again is he played baseball with a lot of Mexican players and played pro baseball in Mexico. The ironic thing is he actually became a HS Spanish teacher for 5 years. He got ouf teaching and became a college soccer coach. He is now the Head Coach of the men's soccer program at one of California State Universities. He speaks a lot of Spanish with his players but none at home. Our daughter only speaks Spanish with her mother. My wife and I mainly speak English now.

Typically the first generation speaks pretty well all Spanish. The second generation usually can speak both English and Spanish fluently. The 3rd generation speaks English only. Bear in mind that is a generalization.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:36 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,244,118 times
That they live in "El Norte" and that the Mexicans don't.

Actually, Mexicans who star in telenovelas in DF don't care. Mexicans who are living in substandard conditions probably envy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico