Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 04:40 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,200 times

Advertisements

Those states will always be Mexican no matter in which country they are. The US invaded those Mexican territories when those lands were scarcely populated, now Mexican are resettling those lands again. It's quite demential to hear descendants of illegal squatters call Mexicans "illegal immigrants". It's just like the self-entitlement of illegal squatters in Palestina.

Colonization does not work, as proven one hundred times in European colonies all around the world.

Nobody hates Mexicans, but non-Mexicans don't like to be called Mexican for the sole reason of speaking Spanish. They should blame H.S dropouts.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:33 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
haven't heard that happening but both of those states are fly-over states. not worth living in there, especially the latter.
Mod cutHave you ever been to Colorado? It's GORGEOUS. Denver has great culture and one of the best craft beer towns in America (http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...-beer-cities/3 ; http://draftmag.com/features/beertown-usa-denver/ ), up there with Portland and San Diego. Boulder is one of the best college towns around, and it is amazing the way the city connects so well to its natural surroundings as it is nestled in the foothills of the great Rockies. Everyone bikes and there are trails accessible straight from people's backyards. Oh yeah, not to mention, legalized recreational marijuana.

Let's not diss on a state just because of hearsay.

*This Image not my own*

Boulder, Colorado

*This Image not my own*

Aspen, Colorado - the premiere winter resort town in the U.S.

Last edited by Sunscape; 10-06-2014 at 12:14 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Those states will always be Mexican no matter in which country they are. The US invaded those Mexican territories when those lands were scarcely populated, now Mexican are resettling those lands again. It's quite demential to hear descendants of illegal squatters call Mexicans "illegal immigrants". It's just like the self-entitlement of illegal squatters in Palestina.

Colonization does not work, as proven one hundred times in European colonies all around the world.

Nobody hates Mexicans, but non-Mexicans don't like to be called Mexican for the sole reason of speaking Spanish. They should blame H.S dropouts.
I agree with you up to a point. Sure, they are becoming ethnically Mexican again, but these Mexicans are many times American first. By the third and fourth generation (sometimes even the second depending on their upbringing) many of them don't even speak Spanish, nor know where their Mexican roots are from, and will probably follow American Football more than they will soccer.

Also, I know plenty of 'Mexicans' (aka Americans of Mexican descent) that talk trash on undocumented folks all the time, and are quite insensitive to why these people are here in the first place. We aren't exactly one big village holding hands, it's a little more nuanced than that, especially as Mexican Americans start seeing themselves more as Americans than Mexican.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:01 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Haha, what's with the elitism? Have you ever been to Colorado? It's GORGEOUS. Denver has great culture and one of the best craft beer towns in America (America's Best Beer Cities- Page 3 - Articles | Travel + Leisure ; Beertown, U.S.A.: Denver » Beertown | DRAFT Magazine ), up there with Portland and San Diego. Boulder is one of the best college towns around, and it is amazing the way the city connects so well to its natural surroundings as it is nestled in the foothills of the great Rockies. Everyone bikes and there are trails accessible straight from people's backyards. Oh yeah, not to mention, legalized recreational marijuana.
First of, I said it because I am not fond of cold weather; not because of politics, hearsay or any crap that your ******* ass wants to come up with. With arizona, i dont like it there because it's too dry and hot for me. I would say Colorado is better of the two because of more work opportunity there and better scenery.

elitism is more so what you have.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:19 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I agree with you up to a point. Sure, they are becoming ethnically Mexican again, but these Mexicans are many times American first. By the third and fourth generation (sometimes even the second depending on their upbringing) many of them don't even speak Spanish, nor know where their Mexican roots are from, and will probably follow American Football more than they will soccer.

Also, I know plenty of 'Mexicans' (aka Americans of Mexican descent) that talk trash on undocumented folks all the time, and are quite insensitive to why these people are here in the first place. We aren't exactly one big village holding hands, it's a little more nuanced than that, especially as Mexican Americans start seeing themselves more as Americans than Mexican.

Why should they defend illegals? Weren't Americans particularly cruel against the last European waves?
As I recall, many Catholic soldiers from Irish and German origin deserted to Mexico because of abuse and mistreatment, la brigada San Patricio. They are considered Mexican heroes.

Those "Mexicans" are more American that immigrants from the east... most of them illegal settlers, scallywags and bandits stupidly invited by Spain and later by Mexico as settlers.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:13 PM

25 posts, read 36,419 times
I would also say is because a lot of Mexicans are taking over a lot of the Northeast, which is historically Caribbean and South American diaspora. In NY in particular, Mexicans are taking over what was the El Barrio for Boricuas, Quisqueyas, y los Cubanos for a long while. In jest, we want our set neighborhood and they're taking it too!-) Jest aside, I see why there's resentment for that. It's sad when PR is a commonwealth and Mexico gets the front page every time for the Americans. Having said that, there really should be no more resentment for illegal immigration then.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:54 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,905,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post

Technically those people are not Mexicans because many formed their own nations or declared independence from Mexico such as Texas (Tejas) and many parts of Louisiana (Luisiana)

Old 10-05-2014, 11:31 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Simple answer...
Mexicans are VERY PROUD of their culture, which is a little different from the culture of most Latin American countries.

Most Latin countries like salsa, merengue, cumbia music.... Mexicans show up playing "Corridos" which sound ugly as s.... to anybody that has good hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVlAmP-KDT4

Compare that to something like merengue that is what most people in Latin America would listen to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvimclZnz84

Old 10-06-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Simple answer...
Mexicans are VERY PROUD of their culture, which is a little different from the culture of most Latin American countries.

Most Latin countries like salsa, merengue, cumbia music.... Mexicans show up playing "Corridos" which sound ugly as s.... to anybody that has good hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVlAmP-KDT4

Compare that to something like merengue that is what most people in Latin America would listen to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvimclZnz84
Except...Mexican music is wide and varied. Everything from corridos, banda, alternative rock, punk, pop, electro-cumbia, cumbia, jarocho, mariachi etc etc. You can't stereotype the largest Spanish speaking country in the world, and especially not by one genre of music.

If you are actually interested, and not just on here to make snide divisive comments, I recommend an excellent documentary called Hecho en Mexico. It tries to answer the question of what makes a Mexican 'Mexican' , and the diverse ways of being that, while using music as a major component of story-telling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu8IgBQvugk

Old 10-06-2014, 05:56 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times
I need to see that movie. I saw some part of it online but like i just felt it was just showing scenary along with music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico