U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 PM

606 posts, read 566,186 times
Default How much $$ should this Tijuana Taxi fare be?

I am going to cross the border at San Isidro walking, and get a cab right there in Tijuana. What is a reasonable fare price from that location to the Hotel Lucerna on Paseo de los Heroes? Any insight would be helpful, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 PM

11,309 posts, read 9,383,819 times
When dealing with taxi drivers, in any city, any country, the prices charged depends on the drivers. You could ask the price from 6 taxi drivers and get 6 different prices.

With all my trips to TJ, I have fared better with those red & white taxi's, which you won't find as part of the Yellow Cab line-up right after you cross the border. For those you need to go around the shopping center. You may spot a few of them around there. But, even then, you may find a dishonest driver and pay the same with a yellow taxi driver.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 AM

3,604 posts, read 4,098,510 times
Most would ask for $30-35 pesos or $3US. Hard to find a taxi with a meter near the border and 3 bucks seems to be the minimum charge. That ride should not take much more than 5 minutes unless you get stuck in traffic.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM

3,645 posts, read 2,558,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
I am going to cross the border at San Isidro walking, and get a cab right there in Tijuana. What is a reasonable fare price from that location to the Hotel Lucerna on Paseo de los Heroes? Any insight would be helpful, thanks!
Under no circumstances should you pay more than $10 for taxi from San Ysidro to Hotel Lucerna should as it is about 2 miles. Since Lucerna is a nice hotel, they will try and get you for more. Make it clear that is what you are willing to pay, and move on to the next taxi. Taxi Libres are metered fares , but they are difficult to find near the border. You may look for one to take you back.

There are ways to do it cheaper, but it is probably not worth the effort. If you are staying at one of the most expensive hotels in Tijuana, I assume you don't want to go through the hassle. I assume that you will have baggage.

Also, the restaurants in Lucerna are overpriced espcially since you have two excellent choices within 500 yards walking: Pampas for casual dining and Cien Anos for fine dining.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 8,045 times
The correct fare is 20p. But good luck getting that, they will start bitching & complaining how expensive gas & autoparts are! You're lucky if you can find a taxi for 3 or 4 dollars.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:40 AM

3,645 posts, read 2,558,842 times

Taxi Libre's are the metered taxis that are inexpensive. The drivers used to get beat up on the border and there is often a long line. You may have better luck getting back from the hotel to the border on a Taxi Libre.

"Taxis de la Ruta" or "Tijuana Taxis" or for Tijuanese just plain "Taxi" is basically an old station wagon that functions as a bus. They are color coded for certain routes and are not private. The city government has been trying to faze them out in favor of real buses for a decade, but they have a strong union. Give them a dollar and it will include a tip. However, the routes are complex. You need to know the city.

As a gringo going to an 5 Star hotel, you should resign yourself to paying an overcharge to get there. Otherwise you will have to search long and hard for the $3 fare.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM

Thank you everyone for the replies! And I know I am going to get overcharged and am okay with that, I just wanted a good frame of reference as to what the appropriate fare should be. And Paco I'm actually Chicano y tengo orgullo de ser Mexicano, but either way I know they're gonna try to rip me off porke de volada se puede dar cuenta q vengo del otro lado...

Again, I appreciate the information and I wish all a blessed day.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 PM

11 posts, read 7,675 times
Avoid the all yellow cabs just as you cross the border into Tijuana - they are the MOST expensive. Look for "taxi-libres" or "eco-taxis" as some call them. They are much cheaper and the fare to the hotel should not exceed three or four bucks at most.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 PM

3,604 posts, read 4,098,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkBaja View Post
Avoid the all yellow cabs just as you cross the border into Tijuana - they are the MOST expensive. Look for "taxi-libres" or "eco-taxis" as some call them. They are much cheaper and the fare to the hotel should not exceed three or four bucks at most.
Where are those yellow cabs now with the high prices? With the new pedestrian crossing it seems like everything got changed around. When I last went the first taxis I ran into were "Taxis Economicos" and they had reasonable rates posted on the board. Of course they will try to change the fare on the unsuspecting I am sure. Anyways with so few naive tourists crossing these days it wouldn't surprise me if the grossly overpriced taxis are mostly obsolete.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM

Okay, let me take it a step further: If I am Chicano and speak to the cabby in Spanish and if I pay in Pesos Mexicanos, then in that case about 40 Pesos would be a good deal and about 100 Pesos would be the most I should pay. Is that about right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico