Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Mexico underrated
No 27 36.99%
Yes 46 63.01%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3dw View Post
The point is, why would you want to visit Juarez? I don't see the purpose of even bringing it up. Seems to be in the same boat of your East Vancouver description. Why would you want to go there? That being said, since you obviously live in Canada you have no problem with going to other parts of the country. Shouldn't the same be said for Mexico? Things aren't always the same throughout an entire country just because one part or parts are bad. Even within cities there are good areas and bad areas.
Law enforcement is dodgy at best in all of Mexico. In Juarez, the rapes and murders of literally hundreds of young women demonstrates what happens when that attitude is taken to the extreme.

Of the seven Canadians murdered in Mexico last year, none of them were in the border states, and most where in so-called tourist areas (including Cancun). Of course, there were many more Canadians that lost their lives in Mexico under mysterious circumstances (falling off your balcony seems to be a common occurance there), and there have been dozens more that were robbed, sexually assaulted and severely beaten (in the case of Shiela Nabb, beaten into a coma while in an elevator on her resort). There have been multiple reports of police assisting in kidnappings (one caught on tape) and I personally know someone that was shaken down by police in Mexico looking for a bribe. And finally, let's not forget the 18,000 dead and 10,000 "missing" during the ridiculous drug war that is spiraling out of control in the country.

Despite my concerns about the country, there are some people on here that try to claim that Mexico is no more dangerous than Canada (!) and tell me I "shouldn't travel" if this kind of thing concerns me. The way I see it, Mexico does not offer anything that you can't find in other safer destinations for the same price, so why would anyone choose to risk their safety and spend their tourist dollars to go there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM

305 posts, read 750,379 times
Ok. Well, If you're so worried about it, then I guess you shouldn't go.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM

836 posts, read 2,948,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The way I see it, Mexico does not offer anything that you can't find in other safer destinations for the same price, so why would anyone choose to risk their safety and spend their tourist dollars to go there?
That's the great mistery, doesn't matter what you think, thousands of americans and canadians still choose Mexico as destination.

They don't care for all your negative comments about Mexico.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:23 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Have you been to East Vancouver? It looks like the Apocalypse has already started there. Junk central with homeless beggars, ne'er-do-wells and zombie hookers on every street corner, and formerly the HIV capital of North America (thanks to heroin). I wouldn't go near the place if you paid me.

However, despite the transient nature of drug-addicted streetwalkers, the Vancouver Police were able to catch Pickton long before he racked up a body count in the 100's, and it didn't take an international outcry for them to do so.
Yes, I have been to East Vancouver ( East Hastings ). I lived in Vancouver. Don't get me wrong, I have never hung out in that area, just passed through.

As far as Pickten goes, those missing women were ignored by the police for several years. I can post several links about investigations about the police ignoring it.

My wife and I were in the Gastown area in Vancouver just a couple years ago. That is a tourist area though quite close to the bad area. In any event I have never seen so many aggressive beggars except for downtown Calgary. They don't take no for an answer. While we were in Vancouver one of these aggressive beggars murdered somebody because they didn't give them any money.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:26 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Then please stay home.
I don't intend to stay home as we travel a lot. It is just that Canada will not be one of our destinations. Lived there, visited there, nothing more of interest to see.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:00 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Yea, all in all Mexico is pretty great. It has such a wide variety of landscapes and the older cities and villages often have beautiful architecture.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
They don't care for all your negative comments about Mexico.
Oh, they probaby care. Many of them. Probably more than they care for your brand of crass cheerleading. And it's not just thousands who visit, though. It's millions. Mayve one day you can be counted in that number.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Oh, they probaby care. Many of them. Probably more than they care for your brand of crass cheerleading. And it's not just thousands who visit, though. It's millions. Mayve one day you can be counted in that number.
No, they don't. Give a rant in a forum like this has little impact in the people who really want to visit Mexico.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
No, they don't. Give a rant in a forum like this has little impact in the people who really want to visit Mexico.
I'll agree with you that a miniscule number of people interested in traveling to Mexico read this forum. That's beside the point, however.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Then why are you posting here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico