Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:48 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,995,938 times

Advertisements

If you are going to Mexico, beware.

Armed gang rapes 6 Spanish tourists in Mexico - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,651 times
This happened early this month, and was surprized there was no earlier mention of it.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:44 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
The Acapulco incident has been widely reported and discussed on other Mexico-specific forums. The details, facts are not completely clear at the moment and there may have been a "business" dispute at the core. A bad situation, nonetheless. This happened on the outskirts of Acapulco, not in the principal tourism district if I'm recalling correctly. Regarding the buisnessman in Acapulco: He lived/worked in Mexico City and had a residence in Acapulco and the company has said today his life was previously threatened as the result of a business dispute. He was not a tourist. Regarding an incident in Cancun: I don't know anything about it. There are frequent reports of sexual attacks in Cancun, and have been for a long time. The US Government warns its citizens heading for Cancun to be aware of this. Playa del Carmen, not all that far from Cancun, is another destination sexual attacks are reported. I suppose we could list all of the crimes takng place in Mexico, but we can do that as well for any tourism destination. Many people wouldn't want to come to my city of Chicago if they read all which happens. Each destination is different and though crimes in one may very well impact or potentially threaten tourists - primarily Mexican tourists - not all incidents in all destinations are worthy of too much attention.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
I would wonder why these tourists went to Acapulco and it's also known that many tourists go for the drugs. Some are saying the incident in Acapulco was just a drug deal gone wrong. Tourists aren't automatically innocent.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would wonder why these tourists went to Acapulco and it's also known that many tourists go for the drugs. Some are saying the incident in Acapulco was just a drug deal gone wrong. Tourists aren't automatically innocent.
Acapulco remains the most preferred destination for Mexican tourists, and for many foreign tourists (other than those from the USA or Canada). So, I understand why these particular Spanish-origin tourists (who, I understand live in Mexico City) would visit there. Given the huge number of tourists who visit Acapulco, I'm supposing only a small percentage would go there because of the availability of drugs for purchase. There has been speculation, reported in the media, that these particular tourists were somehow involved in drug purchases from the group which later returned to assault the women in the house. Suggestions of a deal gone sour. Though, in fairness to the victims ... I don't see anyting being reported to confirm they were there for any reason other than just enjoying the sun, sand and water.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
The Cancun rape took place in an alley in the bar district at 4 oclock in the morning, which would be a dangerous time and place even in Altoona, Pennsylvania. Two police officers were quickly arrested, a third one fled and is being sought, and all three will be brought to justice by the proper Mexican authorities. A deterrent exists in Mexico, every police officer and citizen knows what it is and is wary of it -- nobody wants to go to a Mexican jail. And if you are peeing in an alley behind a bar at 4 am, it doesn't matter what country you are exposing yourself in.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...talian-tourist

Old 02-28-2013, 05:04 PM

305 posts, read 750,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Cancun rape took place in an alley in the bar district at 4 oclock in the morning, which would be a dangerous time and place even in Altoona, Pennsylvania. Two police officers were quickly arrested, a third one fled and is being sought, and all three will be brought to justice by the proper Mexican authorities. A deterrent exists in Mexico, every police officer and citizen knows what it is and is wary of it -- nobody wants to go to a Mexican jail. And if you are peeing in an alley behind a bar at 4 am, it doesn't matter what country you are exposing yourself in.

Two Mexican police arrested for rape of Italian tourist
Shhhhhh. Don't you know we are supposed to be telling everyone how incredibly dangerous Mexico is?

Old 02-28-2013, 06:19 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,605,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Do you have a link to "some people" saying it was the victim's fault?

Old 02-28-2013, 06:45 PM

305 posts, read 750,106 times
I don't think anyone is saying it's the victim's fault. I do agree that tourists aren't automatically innocent. That being said, the fear factor is ridiculous. This board attracts a lot of people who want to post things they know nothing about, but read sensational crime articles. It's very popular right now to say Mexico is dangerous (which if you're a narco is true, but if you're a tourist you're probably more safe in Mexico than a lot of other places- including a number of destinations in the U.S.). I don't agree that Acapulco is by any means "the most preferred destination for Mexican tourists". It is true it does attract a lot of people from D.F. due to close proximity, but I've never heard of anyone preferring it over Cancun or Cabo or even P.V. (and many, many other beach areas) for example.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,470,340 times
There have been three incidents of a man breaking into homes and raping the women IN their homes. One would think the US STATE DEPT would have ISSUED A TRAVEL ADVISORY by now. Lucky for MEXICO, this is not happening there but in fact in Dallas Tx, in my neighborhood in fact. And no, it is not a predominantly Mexican neighborhood.

People, you might want to avoid the city of Dallas - in fact probably just don't come to Texas or even the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico