U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2013, 02:16 PM

1,141 posts, read 560,700 times
Default Safe Cities in Mexico

What are some safe cities in Mexico? I know the country's overall murder rate is a bit high, but I believe it's distorted by cities like Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana, Acapulco, Cancun, and drug violence on the northern border. I think it also has to do with American media over-exaggerating amount of violence (which is a bit hypocritical, since USA has many dangerous places like Camden, Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, Oekland)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM

774 posts, read 855,788 times
The safest must be:

Cancun, Los Cabos, La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Guanajuato, Querétaro, Puebla, Oaxaca, Mérida, Guadalajara, Campeche and San Cristobal de las Casas. Of course there are others but this are the high demand touristic destinations, so the safety is better on those cities.

Mexico city by his size you can consider safe, but not in the group of the safest.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 PM

9,417 posts, read 6,188,553 times
Campeche and Merida seem pretty safe as does most of the Yucatan. The most dangerous parts of the Yucatan are probably in Cancun ironically...

Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM

10,898 posts, read 8,622,742 times
70 trips to Tijuana over the last 15 years, sometimes staying for long weekends, walking around the Zona Norte district and Revolution Ave. until 5am, not one negative/unpleasant incident to report!

Me? I'd feel more unsafe in the heavily touristed cities of Mexico! If I wanted to make a career of being a professional mugger in Mexico, I certainly wouldn't pick Tijuana, I'd go where the money and the media-duped sheepish tourists vacation!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 AM

5,930 posts, read 10,480,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
70 trips to Tijuana over the last 15 years, sometimes staying for long weekends, walking around the Zona Norte district and Revolution Ave. until 5am, not one negative/unpleasant incident to report!

Me? I'd feel more unsafe in the heavily touristed cities of Mexico!
Which is why when I look out of the window in Los Cabos and see a cruise ship, I don't go into town that day.

It's not to avoid any criminal element, (I've never noticed any) it's to avoid the touristas.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:21 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,705,616 times
I read the government stats on crime rates as reported by a newspaper a few weeks ago, but cant find a link. I remember Campeche, Toluca and Merida were at the top. DF was number 10 if I remember right, but its a per capita figure so the story said there are still plenty of crimes there. Thy story talked about how Guadalajara and Monterrey used to be in or near the top 10 and now are closer to the most dangerous list than the safest. It also discussed how the suburbs around DF in Edo Mex have some of the highest crime rates, yet the big cities they are between, DF and Toluca, were relatively safe. It was a good story, speculated the EPN administration might move resources into dealing with these crime rates as they scale down the drug war efforts.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM

6,939 posts, read 3,000,563 times
If it does anything regarding the war and terrorism in Mexico, the "American media" downplays it to the point of almost ignoring it as compared to the coverage that media gives to regions of the world and countries with lesser problems. I think CNN, FOX, and other media outlets should have asigned full-time reporters to do live broadcasts from Mexico on a more regular basis so that people in the USA and elsewhere would have a better understanding of not just the war and violence, but of the good things which take place in the country. Knowledge is power. But as for lashing-out at the "American media," I think that's just a knee-jerk over-reaction when someone gets their toes, or favorate destination stepped on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico