Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:22 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,061,646 times

Advertisements

Keep it reserved to actual MEXICANS ONLY, not Mexican-Americans or Mexican-Canadians or Mexican-Germans.

One thing I've noticed from two families, and want to know if it is a generalized phenomenon...Mexicans tend to travel in extended family groups more often than Americans. When my friend's family and I went to Chiapas, her aunt and cousin came along. My newlywed friend and his spouse recently went on a little honeymoon to Veracruz...and his sister, her husband, and their daughter came as well.

Also, their memories were all captured with crappy cell phone pictures, despite them having separate but older digital cameras.

Similarly, it seems like Mexicans almost never travel solo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 01:01 AM

758 posts, read 2,233,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Keep it reserved to actual MEXICANS ONLY, not Mexican-Americans or Mexican-Canadians or Mexican-Germans.

One thing I've noticed from two families, and want to know if it is a generalized phenomenon...Mexicans tend to travel in extended family groups more often than Americans. When my friend's family and I went to Chiapas, her aunt and cousin came along. My newlywed friend and his spouse recently went on a little honeymoon to Veracruz...and his sister, her husband, and their daughter came as well.

Also, their memories were all captured with crappy cell phone pictures, despite them having separate but older digital cameras.

This is true of the older generations. You'll see us in Texas in suburbans travelling in huge groups. Younger Mexicans are a bit more adventurous, but even so, do travel with a significant other more often than solo.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 AM

1,486 posts, read 2,377,255 times
1. They have a work ethic that rivals the East Asians.

2. For several years I taught GED to many Mexican immigrants. They have a the attitude that education is a privilege and not a right so they all tend to work hard and the percentage of those who finish the course is more than double that of American youth.

3. When they dedicate themselves to something it is an all out effort. In this area (Chicago especiallY) they make sushi as well as the Japanese or the Koreans and more and more "sushi chefs" are Mexican as well as cooks in Italian restaurants.

Going on vacation? Mexico is always great because the people in the tourist industry there know what the word "service" means.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:48 PM

6,362 posts, read 11,815,982 times
They believe some amazing myths because a family member said it was so. Some times they get so annoying with this. I remember a relative of my wife telling me the US Army in Afghanistan is actually mostly illegal immigrants hoping for a green card. When I told them that is ridiculous and few immigrants get into the military because English fluency is required she told me I was lying. Her uncle who said it was true was an honest man and wouldn't make something like that up. Her family had a whole bunch of these stupid ideas and they all thought they sounded totally believable.

The funniest one, actually a bit sad someone would believe this, was a lady who said a woman could get pregnant from wearing a man's shirt. This poor lady was 31! Since it seems to be a big sin to tell a woman how it all works I just changed the subject.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 AM

941 posts, read 1,907,914 times
My hubby drives me CRAZY with this. I am a only child and kinda a loner. I like to do things alone I barely like him coming, J/K. Well when I lived in Mexico everywhere we went he had to invite someone. Like anyone really. The only one I wanted to go was his dad and he neever wanted to go. But still it drove me crazy to a point that I started going places solo without him. I really don't like going places with others cuz they tend to get bossy and then always control everything. Then we have to pay fo them and I barely know them!!

It also seems typical the men like to stay together. They tend to do everything together, go to the store, go to put gas in car, go down the street. They also sit extremely close together when talking and in their own world. This provided for me many a jokes, lol. Is also very visible to see in MX when you see a gazillion people jammed in cars and scooters. Now when I think about it, the more the merrier, at least to others!

Last edited by laina1980; 03-18-2013 at 02:06 AM..

Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM

836 posts, read 2,939,632 times
Quote:

I've noticed in some families, but in my case it is not, I'm very individualistic and only travel with my wife and daughter.

I don't think this attitude could be general, yes some do it, but not all mexicans...

Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,923,904 times
Having lived and worked in south-central Mexico for almost two years, I have noticed many things about the Mexicans. But here are a few that come to mind immediately:
  1. Very family-oriented and often live together with extended family. I never once saw a nursing home in my travels. It seems they take care of their elders. Family members do all the baby sitting that needs done. Heck, the babies go pretty much everywhere---so little babysitting really goes on!
  2. The nicknames gordo/gorda (or gordito/gordita) are not given or taken as derogatory. They are more like terms of endearment (unlike here where "fatty" and "fatso" are clearly insulting).
  3. When families gather, the women kick into gear almost immediately preparing food for the group. It doesn't stop until the gathering ends. The efficiency of las mujeres (and the yummy results!) works like a fine-tuned engine.
  4. Getting drunk and acting foolish do not seem to be as stigmatic as it is here.
  5. Fewer people smoke cigarettes.
  6. The average Mexican woman dresses much more conservatively than their latina counterparts in the USA.
  7. Watching las telenovelas is a national pasttime.
  8. While there are just as many snack/convenience/junk foods available, cooking from scratch is still the norm.
  9. People still prefer buying their produce from the outdoor markets (el tianguis) than at the supermarkets. I hope this tradition never fades (....no more Walmarts in Mexico!!!).
  10. And just for fun.....Mexicans like a wide variety of toilet paper choices. The toilet paper aisle in the store is amazing!
Oh, I could think of many more---but this is a good starter list. And, I didn't mention how much I liked Mexico---I really loved living there!

Old 03-18-2013, 03:09 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,464,210 times
Quote:

Forming a judgment based on the experineces of two families, isn't something I'd do. Those experiences aren't representative of anything ... but those two families.

Generally, I don't see much difference in the way people vacation in Mexico with what I see in the USA. I say this as someone whose spent a lot of time in Veracruz and Acapulco, as two examples, during Semana Santa and at the year end holiday periods ... and who has done enough travel throughout the USA and Canada at vacation times of the year to do my own comparisons.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 AM

983 posts, read 1,627,603 times
As a Mexican, I have to say: HAIR GEL on men. Lots of it. Both in Mexico and abroad hehe. It could almost be used as proof of nationality by Mexican consulates.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 AM

758 posts, read 2,233,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
[*]The nicknames gordo/gorda (or gordito/gordita) are not given or taken as derogatory. They are more like terms of endearment (unlike here where "fatty" and "fatso" are clearly insulting).

Totally! Sometimes I think other nationalities are ridiculously self-conscious and sensitive... either that or we're way too insensitive. We have all sorts of nicknames for everyone. I have at least 5 friends who I have to think hard to know their actual nicknames. They are chaparro (short), Negro(blackie), Chimolo(bucktooth...he's since gotten dental implants, but the name lives), panza(belly), Garras (referring to his clothes)... etc.

There r rules... a stranger can't call a random fat woman "gorda"... he has to be one best friend level or family level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico