U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 PM

8,855 posts, read 12,590,638 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to TJ this summer. I currently live in San Diego, so I'm not totally new to going across the border.

What are good areas to look for a place to live in. I've been told that Zona Rio and west of Via Rapido are good areas to look for a place to live. What other areas would be good, and what should I avoid besides Zona Norte.

Any information would be appreciated.

TIA!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM

3,763 posts, read 4,396,946 times
How often do you plan on crossing the border? Are you 100% fluent in Spanish? Are you looking for something upscale or something more working/middle class? Do you know or understand how most rentals in Mexico are found? Do you understand what "unfurnished" in a Mexican home or apartment means?

Besides your question is about as vague as someone asking you where should I live in San Diego without giving any details about themselves, their budget, their age or living situation, etc.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM

5,292 posts, read 10,384,151 times
Not sure where Willy lives for any concrete answers but I'm just 9 miles so of Rosarito (Puerto Nuevo) by the beach.

Been here 17yrs next month in my own home but your concern is to possibly rent economically.

Many nice places in Rosarito proper....do see signs "Se Renta"...check them out.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 AM

Hi Steve,

I don't think Willy lives in San Diego so obviously he didn't pay attention to my post, and can't answer my question.

I'm not interested in living in Rosarito. I still work part-time (mostly on weekends) even though I'm on SS, and it's too far to drive. I'll be applying for a Sentri Pass as soon as I get an address.

I have a friend that lives in Rosarito, and she told me last night that her landlord owns properties in TJ, so I'll be talking to him first. It's technically become almost impossible to live on my income here, my concern it to rent economically.

What I'm looking for a house or duplex (preferably) with parking that allows pets (cats). I'll start with an apartment if I have to, but living by the border isn't a necessity if I can get a house/duplex farther away. I don't need amenities, all I need is a roof over my head.

I already have someone lined up to help me move my stuff, and checked into Mexican insurance for my car, so that's taken care.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 PM

Good that you have a locaL contact. Personally I don't care for TJ itself....never checked since I had a friend in Primo Tapia thus bought a couple lots to build here.

Not sure what you expect to pay. Condos above me went for $500 a month.

New neighbor below me just retired from the Air force and rents a Duplex for about the same amount as I recall him saying.

As for pets.....they roam freely here.

Thing is they NEVER advertise for Rent other then a small sign out front or in a window thus a person has to drive around looking.

Wish you luck.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 PM

If I didn't have to work, I would probably move to Rosarito, but TJ is closer to the border. I can pay up to $500 per month, and my rent here in SD is $780, and I expect a rent increase at any time. I know that pets roam freely in both Rosarito and TJ, but I have house cats, and that means they never go outside. They came from the outside, and have no desire to be stray cats again.

In October I'll be getting Supplemental SSI, along with my SS, and working part-time, and that will really help.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 PM

Not sure if your a beach person (looking over the water etc). I have not been to the beach (Playa) at TJ but only passed by on the way to the Toll road and here. Heard that many Americans like it there...matter of choice/preference.

My home is on a small slope overlooking the ocean...about 1/3 mile to the waters edge....close enough for me.

My parents and oldest daughter are buried out there so do have a little solace w/o any need to visit any cemetary.

I do love cats, always had one or two for years but not now, instead have two large dogs, father 13 and his son 7 so they keep me company.

Check out the Playa at TJ....might find something before the summer weather comes around and they are filled.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 PM

I'm not a beach person, and don't want to live anywhere near it. It gets too cold in the winter, and it's humid. I've been to the beach once in the 11 years that I've been in San Diego, and I don't need it, I'm a desert person, I like it hot!

My friend told me to make a list of everything that I own, I've already called T-Mobile, and I'm going to leave my phone the way it is, and get a phone for my computer and a pre-paid Mexican cell phone. I have a SmartPhone, and I don't want to change anything. My friend has a number for insurance, and said that her cousin can help me move.

So my next project is to get down there, hopefully in May. What do you know about Buena Vista and Colonia Libertad? I've heard that Playas is nice, too.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 PM

There is the hill between TJ and Rosarito so anything north of the hill to me is TJ and I know Zilch.

Tj going East is for the pitts having driven that way a few times in the past. Everything is so packed and the traffic feels like I'm back in Mexico City again.....bumper to bumper of cars.

Rosarito has an estimated 14,000 Americans etc in the surrounding area attributed to Rosarito as am I being 9 miles south.

As to the Colonias your asking about can't help there....sorry.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:14 AM

3,763 posts, read 4,396,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Hi Steve,

I don't think Willy lives in San Diego so obviously he didn't pay attention to my post, and can't answer my question.

I'm not interested in living in Rosarito. I still work part-time (mostly on weekends) even though I'm on SS, and it's too far to drive. I'll be applying for a Sentri Pass as soon as I get an address.

I have a friend that lives in Rosarito, and she told me last night that her landlord owns properties in TJ, so I'll be talking to him first. It's technically become almost impossible to live on my income here, my concern it to rent economically.

What I'm looking for a house or duplex (preferably) with parking that allows pets (cats). I'll start with an apartment if I have to, but living by the border isn't a necessity if I can get a house/duplex farther away. I don't need amenities, all I need is a roof over my head.

I already have someone lined up to help me move my stuff, and checked into Mexican insurance for my car, so that's taken care.
You are just in so over your head, I hope you learn the lessons you will about living in Mexico without too much pain. I know plenty about TJ, but if you'd rather get your advice from others feel free. I asked the questions I did because you'll be far better off if you understand what you are about to embark upon, but if you want to be arrogant and think this is just as easy as moving to some other state I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico