Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

What was your proof that they were drug dealers again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Because is what Narco do, regular murderers does not such thing....

Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Speculation (as to "drug dealers"). It's the response inept law enforcement typically provides in Mexico in response to such violence. Probably not far from the mark, though. It appears the violence occurrred away from the tourist zone(s), if published reports are accurate. But many innocent people have been slaughtered in parts of Mexico (almost all Mexican nationals) during this war, because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time ... or associated with people who were up to no good. Violence of this sort is not new to Cancun. Periodically, there have been similar incidents. I doubt the incident will have any impact on tourism to the area.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 9,821 times
I specifically created a profile in order to respond to this forum. I first visited Mexico at the age of 22 (I'm 27 now). That visit was to Acapulco and due to flight complications I ended up spending a night in Mexico City. Both Mexico City and Acapulco especially felt like I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and something could happen at anytime. I have since visited Cozumel twice and the resort area (Riviera Maya) south of Cancun 3 times (returning for my 4th visit in less than a week). Both of those areas are quite the opposite. I have traveled all over the United States, to a few countries in Europe, as well as various parts of Asia and Cancun is one of the safest placest I have ever visited.

If you aren't looking for trouble you won't find it and people there are very friendly to American's in paticular. An extremely large portion of the city's income is based on the supportining the tourist industry. If any of these incidents occurred to American toursits the people of Cancun are aware it would cripple their city and almost go above and beyond to ensure Americans are comfrotable and protected.

My parents (born in the late 1950's and early 1960's) are very uncomfortable with my wife and I continually returning to various resorts in Riviera Maya because they, like some of the people on this thread, assume that 6 people getting killed during a drug related incident makes a city like Cancun dangerous. I'm sure if I was visting a small town in Connecticut or Denever my parents would have no qualms about my safety despite mass shootings of innocent people with no connections to drugs whatsoever over the last 2 years - not to mention if I ventured into Boston. It really bothers me that most people who think Cancun is a dangerous city have never been anywhere near and just know what they read online or watch on TV. I would take Cancun over Miami, FL any day - they speak more English in Cancun anyways! = )

Old 05-10-2013, 04:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb11486 View Post
I specifically created a profile in order to respond to this forum. I first visited Mexico at the age of 22 (I'm 27 now). That visit was to Acapulco and due to flight complications I ended up spending a night in Mexico City. Both Mexico City and Acapulco especially felt like I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and something could happen at anytime. I have since visited Cozumel twice and the resort area (Riviera Maya) south of Cancun 3 times (returning for my 4th visit in less than a week). Both of those areas are quite the opposite. I have traveled all over the United States, to a few countries in Europe, as well as various parts of Asia and Cancun is one of the safest placest I have ever visited.

If you aren't looking for trouble you won't find it and people there are very friendly to American's in paticular. An extremely large portion of the city's income is based on the supportining the tourist industry. If any of these incidents occurred to American toursits the people of Cancun are aware it would cripple their city and almost go above and beyond to ensure Americans are comfrotable and protected.

My parents (born in the late 1950's and early 1960's) are very uncomfortable with my wife and I continually returning to various resorts in Riviera Maya because they, like some of the people on this thread, assume that 6 people getting killed during a drug related incident makes a city like Cancun dangerous. I'm sure if I was visting a small town in Connecticut or Denever my parents would have no qualms about my safety despite mass shootings of innocent people with no connections to drugs whatsoever over the last 2 years - not to mention if I ventured into Boston. It really bothers me that most people who think Cancun is a dangerous city have never been anywhere near and just know what they read online or watch on TV. I would take Cancun over Miami, FL any day - they speak more English in Cancun anyways! = )
Thanks for your post. I agree too. I find this persistent hysteria from the USA about Mexico quite suspect. The American TV is perhaps the most effective mass hysteria machine ever created. If you watch it too much you'll be afraid to step out of your homes. I've actually heard people say that! I've heard people in Framingham Mass terrified of going to Boston. I had people circle areas on maps off Miami telling me don't go there - then I lived there right where they told me not to go for three wonderful years. My own family warning me of throngs on destitute starving children chasing me down the streets of DF. Utter nonsense.

Let's stop beating around the Bush. Ya know what it really is? War machine propaganda meant to keep us in fear so they can sell more weapons. That's all it is.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:07 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Let's stop beating around the Bush. Ya know what it really is? War machine propaganda meant to keep us in fear so they can sell more weapons. That's all it is.
A silly response which ignores what's a serious national problem in Mexico. Suggesting there's some sort of conspiracy in the American "media" which is related to arms sales ... is beyone wierd. I'm suspecting there's a full moon out tonight.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I respect your opinion because I know you've walked it like you talk it. My guess is the OP does not have such credentials. It's the ignorance bred by propaganda I despise.

By the OP's formula, I guess Boston has just catapulted up to be one of the world's most dangerous cities?
http://justiceinmexico.files.wordpre...2013-final.pdf

Mexico's homicide rate is actually quite a lot lower than most Latin American nation's homicide rates.

Special report: Calderón years trail others for Mexico homicides - El Paso Times

The homicide rate in Mexico was much much higher in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s than it is today. In 1931 the rate was 50.78, in 1940 it wss 67.04, in 1945 it wss 48.04, in 1950 it was 48.09 -- in 2010 it was only 21.70.

Funny how no one would have thought twice about taking a trip to Mexico in 1940 or 1950 but now when the homicide rate is much lower than back then, they don't want to go.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
A silly response which ignores what's a serious national problem in Mexico. Suggesting there's some sort of conspiracy in the American "media" which is related to arms sales ... is beyone wierd. I'm suspecting there's a full moon out tonight.
Gm, sometimes you're on and sometimes you're off. I do appreciate your insight though I don't always agree. To be fair, I will tell you I am only interested in facts, not politics. Propaganda is a fact of life. To deny it's existence is willful omission of fact.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb11486 View Post
My parents (born in the late 1950's and early 1960's) are very uncomfortable with my wife and I continually returning to various resorts in Riviera Maya because they, like some of the people on this thread, assume that 6 people getting killed during a drug related incident makes a city like Cancun dangerous. I'm sure if I was visting a small town in Connecticut or Denever my parents would have no qualms about my safety despite mass shootings of innocent people with no connections to drugs whatsoever over the last 2 years - not to mention if I ventured into Boston.
2012 Murder Rates (per 100,000):

22.7 - Mexico
4.8 - United States
1.6 - Canada

Source: List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Despite Mexican murder rates being "down", at 22.7 murders per 100,000 people, it has 4.7 times the murder rate of the United States. As such, I can completely understand their concern.

Caveat emptor.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM

15 posts, read 45,168 times
@ Annuvin

You're posting murder rates for the country of Mexico in 2012. What does that have to do with anything? Please post a murder rate of American toursits in Cancun. Thats what the topic is about. Mexico certainly is a dangerous place if you are into drug dealing. But there is nothing scary about someone from America visiting a resort in Riviera Maya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico