Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM

305 posts, read 750,152 times

Advertisements

I just had a friend visit from NYC and it was nice because I had the week off of work and was able to see a lot of things I still hadn't seen despite living here for almost three years. We still didn't have time for the pyramids and Xochimilco even though he was here for a full week! You are right, there are simply too many things to do/see. Enjoy your trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:10 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I enjoyed my stroll through Zona Rosa during the day - but didn't walk around there during the night.
It's one of the principal business districts in the city, it and the streets immediately adjacent. Billions of $$$ have been invested relatively recently in major structures, hotels, shopping center, and it's been a tourism promotion priority of of the city in recent years. At night it becomes an entertainment center of sorts, very popular. You'll probably find a dozen or more restaurants/bars which feature bands playing. One of the streets - a short street - is lined with bars and businesses which cater to the LGBT community. And there are several 'table dance' clubs, though far fewer now than a decade ago.

Quote:
Where is a nice area for a evening stroll with the wife? Or should I just do DF in the day and enjoy the roofop dining at night?
Paseo de la Reforma, from la Diana to near the Alameda Central. Not late-night, but until, say, 10 p.m. Most of the commercial activity in Centro Historico dies-down after 9 p.m., though Calle Madero from Eje Central to the Plaza de la Constitución is pedestrian-only and you'll find many people walking the distance until Midnight ... mostly on the weekend, though.

Where to walk at night is going to depend on where you'll be staying and what your interest is.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3dw View Post
I just had a friend visit from NYC and it was nice because I had the week off of work and was able to see a lot of things I still hadn't seen despite living here for almost three years. We still didn't have time for the pyramids and Xochimilco even though he was here for a full week! You are right, there are simply too many things to do/see. Enjoy your trip!
I think DF is possibly the most interesting city in the western hemisphere. It is the oldest by far. If you count the Olmec areas of Campeche as part of greater DF, well it's history is like 4000 years old. NY and Boston by compare were founded in the early 1600's. LA is barely 100, and Dallas and Houston have barely any history at all more than 50 years old.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
It's one of the principal business districts in the city, it and the streets immediately adjacent. Billions of $$$ have been invested relatively recently in major structures, hotels, shopping center, and it's been a tourism promotion priority of of the city in recent years. At night it becomes an entertainment center of sorts, very popular. You'll probably find a dozen or more restaurants/bars which feature bands playing. One of the streets - a short street - is lined with bars and businesses which cater to the LGBT community. And there are several 'table dance' clubs, though far fewer now than a decade ago.

Paseo de la Reforma, from la Diana to near the Alameda Central. Not late-night, but until, say, 10 p.m. Most of the commercial activity in Centro Historico dies-down after 9 p.m., though Calle Madero from Eje Central to the Plaza de la Constitución is pedestrian-only and you'll find many people walking the distance until Midnight ... mostly on the weekend, though.

Where to walk at night is going to depend on where you'll be staying and what your interest is.
Thanks for your insight GM. I'll report back my opin in July. I was considering the Melia hotel on Reforma, but honestly at night I think i'd be more wary of walking Reforma than Hamburgo. Reforma is great in the day, but I think at night there are too many dark empty spaces on the wide wide street - like where the plastic bottle statues are. Kinda reminds me of Biscayne Blvd in Miami. Too much space, not enough people.

Last time I stayed by Belle Artes - and yeah, Madero by the Torre Latino was buzzing after dark. I didn't go all the way down to Zocalo at that hour though. I think Madero is good during the day. Not sure what would be open all the way down to the Zocalo. Could be a lot for all I know. But I did have some minor altercations on the Zocalo during the day so I wasn't about to explore after dark.

I'll go out and kick around a bit before I bring the wife out. That's what I did in Monterrey. People told me Monterrey was under siege and downtown was a war zone. Turned out to be utter nonsense.

I was in ZR during the late hours one night at a club which was absolutely wonderful, but I arrived at 2pm and departed at closing so I didn't really get a measure of the after dark street scene. As I exited I had a bouncer get me a taxi. But between the front door and the taxi I had a rather attractive Mexicana literally run across the street soliciting me. Not sure what she was pitching, but I might guess. Had she not been so aggressive shouting and making a scene and had I not been so hammered, I might have been curious to find out. But as it was I was done - so done - and just sorta yelled back at her "NO SPANI!" The bouncer was amused. So that's the sum total of my ZR late night outdoor experience. Under different circumstances, I might have found that all quite attractive. Update to follow.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:24 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
All of this talk about the wild and crazy stuff makes me want to go there for a vacation like I have never had before...

Old 05-10-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
All of this talk about the wild and crazy stuff makes me want to go there for a vacation like I have never had before...
You should. DF is a blast and costs practically nothing. If you do a single guy trip you can stay at a modest hotel for $40 a night - there's lots to choose from. There's ten zillion things to do. you can get great dinners for ten bucks. A subway ride is 20 cents. Trip to Teotiuhacan - 6 bucks rt! Turibus - ten bucks all day. And then the boy fun - well let's just say it's all in proportion. And Defenas are sweet! They LIKE Americans. Once you get a sample of how courteous and friendly Mexicans are to Americans, it will make you ashamed of how poorly some of our fellow Americans do not reciprocate the same kindness and respect.

Speaking of, I was kinda curious what the ratio of mujeres to hombres is in DF. There are an extra 350K mujeres in the 30-64 age bracket in DF proper.

In Mexico as a whole, there's an extra 2.5 MILLION.

No wonder why Mexicanas are so nice.

Mexicanas

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 05-10-2013 at 03:58 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post

Speaking of, I was kinda curious what the ratio of mujeres to hombres is in DF. There are an extra 350K mujeres in the 30-64 age bracket in DF proper.

In Mexico as a whole, there's an extra 2.5 MILLION.

No wonder why Mexicanas are so nice.

Mexicanas
To be honest, though, we still lag in quality when compared to Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil and Argentina. By a big distance. Particularly in DF, probably only 1 out of every 10 girls is attractive.

Guadalajara -Jalisco in general- and the north are much better areas for that. The south is abysmal though, must be 1 attractive in 20 or more.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 PM

305 posts, read 750,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
To be honest, though, we still lag in quality when compared to Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil and Argentina. By a big distance. Particularly in DF, probably only 1 out of every 10 girls is attractive.

Guadalajara -Jalisco in general- and the north are much better areas for that. The south is abysmal though, must be 1 attractive in 20 or more.

Just my 2 cents.
The girls in GDL are definitely better % wise, but the sheer quantity of girls in DF makes for a great selection.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post

Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3dw View Post
The girls in GDL are definitely better % wise, but the sheer quantity of girls in DF makes for a great selection.
Interesting commentary, thanks. That bad in DF Collect? I will say just going by my most basic barometer - my Babe-dar was not constantly pinging in DF - but Monterrey was certainly a different story. Not to say I didn't see some cuties in DF - but the alarm in MTY was ringing pretty frequently.

I did meet a real cutie on the Metro. She wasn't super-young - got the impression she was a mom. She was selling nutri-bars. I thought to myself - why in the world is that hottie reduced to selling nutri-bars on the train? She should be sitting on a throne in a castle getting her feet rubbed. I called her over and bought one. I meant to pay her for two while buying one but she wouldn't take the extra dough. If I was thinking better I would have bought the whole damn box from her and told her take the rest of the day off on me.

I also saw a kindergarten teacher leading her class in the MNA. I was smiling because I could understand the children answering questions where the various MesoAmerican groups lived. The teacher would say "Olmecs" and the children would shout back "Yucatan". I was charmed. Very cute - and smart little kids. It made me smile from ear to ear. The teacher must have been all of 22, and I got a clear message from her look and smile (cover page btw - took my breath away!) - that she could tell I was understanding the conversation. It was a very fine moment in DF. An American guy and a beautiful Mexicana exchange some love without a word.

I LOVE when that happens!

The other hot chick in DF I met managed entry on to the buses to Teotihuacan. This was very amusing. She was young and really cute. The funny thing was she had to body search everybody before they got on the bus and I could not conceal the fact that I rather enjoyed the experience of her rubbing her hands all over me. I was tempted to tell he she missed a spot - she better doublecheck. But I guess by virtue of the fact that I was almost unable to stop myself from laughing, she already walked away cursing up a storm under her breath. I guess she doesn't particularly like that part of her job.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:02 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
The teacher would say "Olmecs" and the children would shout back "Yucatan".
And most teachers probably would have replied to the children, "Maya" ... when referring to the Yucatan.

Sex tourism. That's what's brought one or two expats to live in Mexico ... and it seems there are more, given the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico