Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:32 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times

Advertisements

Genetics are funny. Your sister looks a little more mestizo to me, despite her coloring, than you do. I see European and possibly some Middle Eastern or Jewish (!), both having been in Spain. Whatever you are, it's a nice mix. Y'all are a beautiful family!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 PM

16 posts, read 23,511 times
I will definitely be taking one of those dna tests. It will be interesting to know what results I get.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Genetics are funny. Your sister looks a little more mestizo to me, despite her coloring, than you do. I see European and possibly some Middle Eastern or Jewish (!), both having been in Spain. Whatever you are, it's a nice mix. Y'all are a beautiful family!

Yea I might have middle eastern and jewish, I mean if you go to Spain many of them have that look especially in the South. And funny you say my sister looks more Mestizo, most of my friends always tell me she looks more white. I guess it is really hard to tell just by looks. Different people will have different opinions.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Yeah you can even get DNA tests at places like ancestry.com they send you a kit, you swab your cheek, and send it in. But don't do it unless you really want to know. I found out I was 16% subsaharan African. My mother and father fought over which side had the black gene. My father claimed it was his side because they were athletic and fit... my mother claimed it was her side because of the big booties and great dancing abilities.
(Yes yes, be offended if you will, I thought it was funny that this argument actually happened).

Anyway, to the OP! Very good looking family indeed. It's hard to say because skin color and facial features alone aren't enough to determine. For those that say, "mestizo for sure"... you really don't know that for sure. There are plenty of swarthy-looking southern Europeans, and even eastern Europeans and middle Eastern. Those who see Carlos Slim would say hes mestizo "for sure" but he doesn't have one drop of indigenous blood in him.
Very good point.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:09 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmagneto View Post
Yea I might have middle eastern and jewish, I mean if you go to Spain many of them have that look especially in the South. And funny you say my sister looks more Mestizo, most of my friends always tell me she looks more white. I guess it is really hard to tell just by looks. Different people will have different opinions.
Right. It's her coloring, but I'm looking more at her features. I'm in Texas so am surrounded with people of Mexican descent.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:43 AM

335 posts, read 670,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Now you can take a Dna test that braeks down your ethnic make up. Its not hard to find out if you have Native blood or not. I plan on doing one myself. Nice family pics by the way.
can you supply my info i want to do this thanks

and i agree what a beautiful family.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:44 AM

335 posts, read 670,355 times
Quote:
Jewish is a religion not a nationality or race.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:14 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,503 times
Default You can claim pretty much any heritage...

Quote:
Yes I would say you and your siblings would fit right in Spain. You also wouldn't stand out in Morocco.

To me you look like mostly Spanish and maybe other European parts with a tiny bit of indigenous background. An old friend of mine who was from Mexico had your hair and coloring; he claimed his mother's side was all French and on his father's side his grandfather was Spanish and his grandmother was 100% indigenous.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:43 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! I have recently been very curious about my family background. I always get people asking me what country I am from, they always guess Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italian, ect... So decided to ask on here what you guys thought. Do you guys think I am white (Spanish) or mestizo (mix of American indigenous and Spanish).

First pic is me and my brother

Next on is me and my sister

Here's two more pics (one more of my brother and one more of my sister)

The last one is of my mom ( don't have a picture of my dad but I basically am I copy of him haha)
What part of Spain are your ancestors from? What most folks don't realize (even in Mexico or Spain, but especially here in the US) is that Spain itself is an incredibly diverse place historically. People from many parts of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East have lived in the Iberian Peninsula for thousands of years. Celts, Romans, Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Greeks, Berbers, Visigoths, etc. Many Spaniards that came to the Americas were from Andalucía, where Muslims, Jews and Christian Spaniards coexisted for over 800 years.

When you add to that the great diversity of Indigenous peoples in what is now considered Mexico, as well as significant Black and Chinese populations (which very few people are aware of), and you have one heck of a melting pot. For example, Chinese people have inhabited Mexico since the 1580s! They came over on the Manila Galleon and were merchants in Acapulco. New Spain (as Mexico was called then) was a gateway to the Atlantic and Pacific, as the Spanish Empire expanded throughout the 16th Century. Another wave of Chinese came to build the railroads of Mexico in later centuries.

I agree with other posters, you have a good looking family. If I were you, I'd take pride in having a very diverse genetic makeup, with an intriguing ancestry.

Last edited by Campeador; 06-07-2013 at 11:56 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 12:37 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Mestizo. Good looking family you got there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico