Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 03:40 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
You never seen a Cholo wearing a hair net? It's been out of style for some time.

cholo hair net pictures - Bing images

Look that those pictures and wow lol that is just stupid... I probably have .. but honestly thought is was somone who was working in a fast food place on their break and they forgot to take it off . Those are not even nice ones. Ex Ones that are thicker that look like fishnet stockings.

It is like the guys wearing their pants low to show their underwear.
When I see that it totally just makes to wonder if the person is malnurished and lost of tone of weight and can't afford to buy new pants or a belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 03:47 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
No idea where that came from. It is not something you would see now. I haven't seen anyone in LA with a hairnet on in over 27 years.

Cholos go back decades, way before the 80s. Cholos have influenced other 'subcultures" but I wouldn't really say it is just fashion or an urban style to be worn casually. If you are not a cholo, it is probably not a good idea to dress like one, you will be attracting a lot of unwanted attention and aggression upon yourself. At least in LA it wouldn't be a good idea.
I think concern over dressing like that would not be an issue in Toronto. Other then the eye brow thing, the bandana and the tatoo I and many of my freinds dressed and wore our make up like that ( and sort of still do). The whole lip linner being darker then the lip stick colours was really popular in the 90s in Toronto.

I think interpretation of the look could be different depending on where you are from.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:05 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I think concern over dressing like that would not be an issue in Toronto. Other then the eye brow thing, the bandana and the tatoo I and many of my freinds dressed and wore our make up like that ( and sort of still do). The whole lip linner being darker then the lip stick colours was really popular in the 90s in Toronto.

I think interpretation of the look could be different depending on where you are from.
This is what I remember chola girls dressing like when I was younger. It was quite popular when I was in elementary and junior high, thank God it has died off significantly. It used to be about style, being a part of a subculture. Then it turned to being violent and tacky:

[url]https://goo.gl/images/KVq62S[/url]

[url]https://goo.gl/images/QYlZQH[/url]

[url]https://goo.gl/images/9Aq667[/url]

[url]https://goo.gl/images/gNfcgH[/url]
Attached Thumbnails
Does the cholo sub-culture exist deep in Mexico?-a6b43d667779d8431bd0b7f78aa04b21.jpg  

Last edited by rosa surf; 01-14-2017 at 10:17 AM..

Old 01-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
This is what I remember chola girls dressing like when I was younger. It was quite popular when I was in elementary and junior high, thank God it has died off significantly. It used to be about style, being a part of a subculture. Then it turned to being violent and tacky:

https://goo.gl/images/KVq62S

https://goo.gl/images/QYlZQH

https://goo.gl/images/9Aq667

https://goo.gl/images/gNfcgH

Yeah... there was not really much violence associated with dressing like that at least in my elementary or high school ( unless you were messing with something else's boy friend ).

Also it was more the mid drift/ club type version rather then the sweat pants and baggy top... if someone was wearing sweat pants it was with a mid drift or tank top. No one was fighting with their fists ... too risky re-nail breakage lol. Fight were usually more mean girl/ verbal type situations. When I think back to the way we use to dress it is hilarious lol. Total over the top attention seeking behaviour. We would spend hours getting dress up like we were going to a night club just to go for walk through the neighbourhood to attract attention lol.... but then ignore or shoot down anyone who tried to talk to us because our parents would freak out if guys started calling us . Yes this is what teenage girl where I lived did when they have nothing to do ... just walking around taunting guys.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:15 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,241 times
Quote:
But those are not ´cholas´ is more like ´Rockabilly Style´ like the girl of Orange is the new black, Alex Vause.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:35 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
But those are not ´cholas´ is more like ´Rockabilly Style´ like the girl of Orange is the new black, Alex Vause.
Alex Vause? That character did not dress like that when out in the real world from the clips I can recall. I love that show !

Regardless ... Rockabilly or whatever the picture style was it just looks sloppy. I would not dress like that leaving my house. The baggy top or bottom is one thing .. but not both. That is the "chola" look gone wrong.

I don't mind the tough girl look... but tough is no excuse for looking sloppy .

WOW !!!! I just looked at the bottom of the picture ... tell me that picture is not current!!!!! Tell me those people are not really dressing like that now! I hope that is a throw back photo from the 90s! All I see in that photo is 4 attractive women with lots of potential with horrible hair styles and bad outfits. Just wrong.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
They are cholos. I went to school with many of them in the 80's, early 90's. Cholos used to really care about their look. The women were REALLY into make-up, hair, nails, dressing feminine with masculine clothes. The men were clean-cut, liked having nice hair, ironed clothes, nice cars.

Modern rockabilly style has taken alot of style from older Pachuco culture from the 50's. This kind of started in Orange County and LA, kids mixed up cholo/Pachuco style, punk style and old rock & roll greaser style all into one.

Gwen Stefani from the band No Doubt is a pre example of this style- she was influential in making it go mainstream.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:35 PM

Default Oh my god lol.....

Quote:
They are cholos. I went to school with many of them in the 80's, early 90's. Cholos used to really care about their look. The women were REALLY into make-up, hair, nails, dressing feminine with masculine clothes. The men were clean-cut, liked having nice hair, ironed clothes, nice cars.

Modern rockabilly style has taken alot of style from older Pachuco culture from the 50's. This kind of started in Orange County and LA, kids mixed up cholo/Pachuco style, punk style and old rock & roll greaser style all into one.

Gwen Stefani from the band No Doubt is a pre example of this style- she was influential in making it go mainstream.
All I am getting from this is lots of fashion trends going on in that area of the world. Regardless in one way or another I think fashion trends always get recycled. For some crazy reason I still have some clothes from when I was a teenager tucked away in a box somewhere in my house ( just to tourer myself ) and ever time I open that storage container it just reminds me that some things just don't change that much.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
All I am getting from this is lots of fashion trends going on in that area of the world. Regardless in one way or another I think fashion trends always get recycled. For some crazy reason I still have some clothes from when I was a teenager tucked away in a box somewhere in my house ( just to tourer myself ) and ever time I open that storage container it just reminds me that some things just don't change that much.
Yes, of course. I was tomboyish/punk in my youth, I thought I was so 'unique.' I see everything I wore in style again, it was that early 90's grunge look: thrift store dresses with flowers and Dr. Martens, flannels, grandpa sweaters. My mother used to wear flannels and converse in her youth.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:39 PM

Default Lol......

Quote:
Yes, of course. I was tomboyish/punk in my youth, I thought I was so 'unique.' I see everything I wore in style again, it was that early 90's grunge look: thrift store dresses with flowers and Dr. Martens, flannels, grandpa sweaters. My mother used to wear flannels and converse in her youth.
The punk stage ....I use to wear a dog collar choker, all black, shred jeans, docs, really funky colour nail polish ( would change it daily) and would avoid eat and listening to punk and grunge music and pretwnd to practice playing my guitar .....

Then I turned 16 ..... and I was on to a new phase ...

We always seem to be ripping off another generation and pretending to be original.

In the last 2 years I have seen so many concerts from artists I adored in my early teens. I am adding the Red Hot Chilie Peppers to the lost next month .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico