Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:28 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,013,612 times

Advertisements

I also noticed in Spain how very common many Catalonian surnames are that are virtually unknown in Mexico. Basque surnames, however, are fairly common everywhere in Mexico, which I suppose indicates that many Basques were living outside their ancestral homeland as early as the first Spanish settlement of the New World.

A bit of trivia concerning Spanish surnames: Chávez, which is so common in Mexico, is only found in Spain among descendants of immigrants from the New World. The traditional spelling of Chaves is found instead, and is extremely common. The Chávez spelling came about from the fact that the Castilian lisp did not exist in the New World and people assumed that Chaves was just another patronymic ending in "z" like Sánchez or González.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 01:37 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I know a lot of Cubans are descendants from the people of the Canary Islands, not all of them, but a lot of them. Is there a specific region for Mexico? If so, I was wondering from where did Spanish settlers of Mexico came from?
The Canary Islands were known to the ancients, but for 1000 years they were not mentioned in any European text. The Spanish conquered the Canary Islands in 1483 when Columbus was age 33, and since he used them as a launch point, they were used for many decades as a starting place for the voyage.

Remember that in those days the shortest distance between two points was not used because navigators had no way of calculating longitude. You were better off traveling on a steady latitude so you didn't miss landfall.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:59 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
So, most common names like Lopez, Perez, Ramirez, Fernandez etc are from Northern Spain? I was always told that most Spanish settlement in Latin America was from Andalucia. This is a very intresting thread. How can I find out where my family names came from?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:23 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,862 times
UrbainLuis, the names you mention are patronymic (i.e. derived from a given name) and as such they are hard to pinpont geographically, even if some might be more common in some areas.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:50 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
So, most common names like Lopez, Perez, Ramirez, Fernandez etc are from Northern Spain? I was always told that most Spanish settlement in Latin America was from Andalucia. This is a very intresting thread. How can I find out where my family names came from?
I think the "ez" ending spanish names tend to be from Andalucia and Estremedura. These were poorer areas and contributed more of the initial settlers and adventurers to the New World.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:44 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,013,612 times
This site will show what parts of Spain a surname is most common in. It seems to me that distinctively Catalonian family names are relatively rare in Mexico.

World Family Names

Old 06-04-2015, 04:44 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
For Mexico specifically Andalusia and Extremadura but all regions of Spain provided settlers. Some of the early soldiers were from the Italian peninsula and also Portugal. The Portuguese especially concentrated in Nuevo Leon many were conversos. There is a document I don't recall the name but many of the settlers from the 1500's names and regions of origin are recorded I've seen it online before I checked into it because I had a DNA match in Mexico along my paternal line although very distantly and found a man that immigrated to Mexico in 1567 from the same city in Portugal my line was from.

Last edited by AFP; 06-04-2015 at 04:55 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 10:13 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
For Mexico specifically Andalusia and Extremadura but all regions of Spain provided settlers. Some of the early soldiers were from the Italian peninsula and also Portugal. The Portuguese especially concentrated in Nuevo Leon many were conversos. There is a document I don't recall the name but many of the settlers from the 1500's names and regions of origin are recorded I've seen it online before I checked into it because I had a DNA match in Mexico along my paternal line although very distantly and found a man that immigrated to Mexico in 1567 from the same city in Portugal my line was from.
Yes there are some Mexicans of Portuguese descent. A friend of mine from Jalisco has Portuguese heritage on her paternal side.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:54 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Yes there are some Mexicans of Portuguese descent. A friend of mine from Jalisco has Portuguese heritage on her paternal side.
Yes I'm aware the founder of Saltillo was from my neck of the woods from a very prominent family they owned property right next to some of my families property. Alberto del Canto, my surname is also found in Mexico with an (s) on the end and is first recorded in Mexico in 1616 and the man's origins are given as Portugal.

Sample Lineages: Capt. Alberto Del Canto

Old 12-16-2017, 07:05 PM

37 posts, read 29,584 times
It depends. Early settlers were from west Andalusia and Extremadura. Last waves...Gallegos..Asturians..northeners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico