Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 03:45 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's very easy to drive into Mexico --- you get on the wrong exit and you can be there without realizing.
This is true, but getting back into the US isn't as easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 04:24 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Have you been to any of these cities? There are fences or a river on the border in all of them. No way you just accidentally walk into Mexico crossing the street.
Used to be you could cross the street and wind up in Mexico. There are plenty of areas along the border you can walk into Mexico. Crossing a fence is also a breeze those fences can be cut open with a pair of tin snips. Read the links I posted. The border fences are worthless. Want to halt illegal immigration? Go after the people that hire them or make it easier to hire immigrant labor so people don't cross illegally.

The border fence was a multi billion dollar waste of money.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:22 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Used to be you could cross the street and wind up in Mexico. There are plenty of areas along the border you can walk into Mexico. Crossing a fence is also a breeze those fences can be cut open with a pair of tin snips. Read the links I posted. The border fences are worthless. Want to halt illegal immigration? Go after the people that hire them or make it easier to hire immigrant labor so people don't cross illegally.

The border fence was a multi billion dollar waste of money.
I have been going into Mexico since the mid 80s and never saw a place where you could just wander across the border, they have these things called ports of entry. As for driving across you might do it on accident, but you'd know what you were doing. Every port of entry is well defined, there are no road or pedestrian entrances between the countries which aren't port of entries. Well outside the cities you could do it, but that wouldn't be naively crossing a street. You would know what you were doing.

As for the rest of your comment, go bother the immigration forums. No one here cares to hear your ideas about illegal immigration, this is the Mexico forum.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Well I have a doozy for some of those wondering about returning back into the US w/o a US Passport.

I just got thru a few minutes ago sending an E-Mail to the US Consulate in TJ Re my US Passport, Birth Certificate and Citizenship papers being stolen in a house breakin in the last few days.

I still have my Passport card for crossing but could almost gurantee that a RED FLAG now exists on the Passport number so when they swipe the card I will be questioned.

Some days you WIN and some days you LOSE.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:11 PM

42 posts, read 75,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
...or make it easier to hire immigrant labor so people don't cross illegally...
This. Just don't make it look into something illegal or sort, if a mexican citizen struggles to find work in Mexico. He should just head to the nearest US authority manifestation, say he has no luck finding work; and so he can be helped into getting one. And pay some tax for being a foreign worker so it can cover health and insurance.

Of course not everyone should have this, some restaurant owner; maquiladora manager, teacher or Pemex high worker would not qualify for such thing.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:06 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
You have a choice between paying $1000 or having nine swift lashes applied to your stomach and back, from what I hear.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,791 times
How does one find an address to a business in Nuevo Progreso, Mexico. I want to send a gift to the manicurist at Almaista'z?

Old 04-19-2014, 07:43 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
My passport was FLAGGED and I got an extra vehicle check as I had predicted.

Next visits afterwards I just told the BP person that my Passport had been stolen before he swiped my card...saved any hassles....being a WW11/Korea Vet (cap) also helped I'm sure.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:40 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,184 times
If you are a U.S. citizen they have to let you into the U.S. It might take a little time to prove who you are but you cannot be denied entry.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:07 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,540 times
I know what happened to me today.

We are staying in Mexico, drove down from LA a few days ago.

Took a wrong turn on the way to the beach and markets DOH (No passports, only beach gear and our near empty backpacks with us) and ended up crossing the border by accident.

It is unbelieveably easy to do and impossible to correct the mistake once you're in the line to leave.

They let us through and let us turn around and re-enter Mexico. They Americans were really nice about it.

Cost us nothing but time - 2.5 hours. D'oh again.

The Mexican's didn't stop us.

No passports required. Thank goodness.

We are Australians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico