Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 PM

19 posts, read 67,598 times

Advertisements

I am planning a possible trip to Mexico City in December. I would like to take Spanish courses for several weeks, and spend some time learning the city (and having fun). I already speak Spanish pretty well (although not fluent), and I hope to improve it in the time I am there. My main questions are:

What are the best places for young people to live and spend time in the city? I would like to be in a fun place, but it also needs to be pretty safe (so my family doesn't worry).

Also, how welcoming are people in Mex City to foreigners/travelers? I know some large U.S. cities where locals are not very friendly, but I would prefer to go to an environment where I can meet people easily.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 10:19 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
La Condesa and Zona Rosa are pretty partyish, though Rosa is more party and Condesa is more cafeish. Not sure how liveable they are though, as I would guess they are among the more expensive areas in the city. Mexico City is so big that I have no idea what to tell you beyond that, even having spent a week there.

I don't think the average chilango is going to be bursting with excitement over your visit, but people seem to be helpful and nice enough. There's some people who live in MC here, so they should give you more info.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 AM

305 posts, read 750,336 times
Roma-Condesa is what you are looking for. Zona Rosa is nice these days if you have an alternative lifestyle or are fond of sex shops, trash in the streets and fast food.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max11USA View Post
I am planning a possible trip to Mexico City in December. I would like to take Spanish courses for several weeks, and spend some time learning the city (and having fun). I already speak Spanish pretty well (although not fluent), and I hope to improve it in the time I am there. My main questions are:

What are the best places for young people to live and spend time in the city? I would like to be in a fun place, but it also needs to be pretty safe (so my family doesn't worry).

Also, how welcoming are people in Mex City to foreigners/travelers? I know some large U.S. cities where locals are not very friendly, but I would prefer to go to an environment where I can meet people easily.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
DF is wonderful. Best city in North America - maybe the whole Western Hemisphere.

Condesa/Roma/Centro/Polanco/Chapultepec are all one big spot. Further down, Coyocan is a blast, everything down Insurgentes is great. Lotta hot chicks in Coyoacan. Prolly from the U of M.

Pick a spot, get a bicycle.

Here's some pix: Mexico Trip Diary 2012 | 7 Days in DF and Monterrey in 2012

c3Dw is kinda dramatizing about Zona Rosa. It's no big deal. We stayed there for the easy access to Reforma. It was fine. Not as swank as Polanco, but fine.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:08 AM

305 posts, read 750,336 times
Haha. Yeah, I was dramatizing it a bit. It is fine, just not my favorite area.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:30 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,533 times
Condesa, Roma, Polanco, Coyoacán, San Ángel, Centro, Chapultepec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico