Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:02 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,449,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
...America has the money...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
We have money? Last time I check we were $17 Trillion dollars deep.
Almeida: Thank you for bringing this thread back to reality.

Thrillobyte: Let me introduce you to the concept of the U.S. National Debt. In fact, you may be dissapointed to find out that it may be in America's best financial interest to begin selling off US States, as opposed to purchasing more; shall we begin the liquidation with Hawaaii and Alaska?

Last edited by WSPHXPELON; 09-19-2013 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
A hypothetical answer for a hypothetical question.

I have no desire of seeing Baja more Americanized than it already is. It being in Mexico is what keeps it beautiful, first thing the US would do is build a interstate freeway all the way down to Cabo and then Cabo would turn into LA, Phoenix or Miami. Why would you want to flood the beautiful landscape with development. California is already crowded and the same would happen to the Baja Peninsula.

Besides, do you go to Puerto Rico more often since its a US Territory?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:17 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
A hypothetical answer for a hypothetical question.

I have no desire of seeing Baja more Americanized than it already is. It being in Mexico is what keeps it beautiful, first thing the US would do is build a interstate freeway all the way down to Cabo and then Cabo would turn into LA, Phoenix or Miami. Why would you want to flood the beautiful landscape with development. California is already crowded and the same would happen to the Baja Peninsula.

Besides, do you go to Puerto Rico more often since its a US Territory?
True. Last time I was in Cabo I almost saw more gringos than Mexicans. One woman (a Californian, naturally) said "Cabo is southern Southern California."

Old 09-19-2013, 07:17 PM

293 posts, read 909,406 times
Why don't we sell them New Mexico. Half the people in the US already think it's part of Mexico. That's why New Mexico has to put USA on their license plates.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
If you dig around a little bit you will quickly find that Baja has the same problem as does much of the northern CA coast. There is no good source for water. There are already problems with over-pumping the aquifers. In coastal regions that can lead to incursion of sea water basically destroying the water source.

Baja is suited only to very low density development. Which is probably a good thing. There may come the day when desalinization becomes practical...but that is no time soon.

Across the mouth of the Sea of Cortez a different story...but that is not Baja.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:45 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
American real estate builders would rape the land building McMansions and Walmarts.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
This is so arrogant for more than just financial reasons. Mexio is still significantly more foreign-feeling than the USA. The fact that you suggest that the USA just buys off a major piece of land, culture, people, and home to many, simply so you can feel comfortable vacationing there, is really outrageous. Leave Baja alone.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
I can just imagine the howls of conservatives when the 3.1 million residents of Estado Libre y Soberano de Baja California and the 600,000 residents of Estado Libre y Soberano de Baja California Sur get automatic citizenship, federal benefits, 4 o5 5 seats in the House and 4 senate seats and the U.S. forever has to have Spanish as another official language.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:03 PM

28 posts, read 48,812 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't see that happening. The crazy environmentalists would immediately move forward and lobby the Federal government to not allow anyone there and then no one would get to enjoy it.

I love Baja California and have been going down there for years, though my trips have tapered off quite a bit due to the escalating violence. I've raced dirt bikes in the Baja 1000 many times and can't get over the desolate yet beautiful country that it is.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:28 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
The point here is that we are not in the early 19th century anymore. You are making us sound very arrogant...as if we can go and window shop land that we like...stop.

If you like Mexico go for it, they will receive with open arms...I read more than 1 million Americans live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico