Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 AM

27 posts, read 89,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
(she admitted she is a Tijuana stripper in another thread)
I'm fairly certain that no one can provide a quote where I admitted or denied being involved in the field of adult entertainment. There are good reasons why a person should limit the type of personal information they give out online to Mark Zuckerberg, Mike the Moderator and William Webmaster.

If you want me to teach you the reasons for guarding your privacy online then it will cost you. Because time is money and money is time. I don't charge much. You can transfer the money to my Paypal account.

If you can't afford it I'll help you anyway: You can get help by visiting Eff dot org. You should be grateful - Isla Verde and the other Al Qaeda-like moderators who censor the Mexico section at Expatforum dot com would have considered banning me for recommending Eff dot org.

Those are the same moderators who will turn right around and ask people to pay them a fee for their premium service. I don't know what their "premium service" is and I don't care because the "service" their website provides is not worth my time or or my money.

I never said that I am or that I am not an exotic dancer. People lie. And people make mistakes. If someone perceives that I, as Willy says, "admitted in another thread" that I am a Tijuana stripper then their perception is wrong, that person made a mistake in judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 12,712 times
Exclamation This article is very biased, attorney Paul Raza likes to dramatize things. Most houses robbed in Chula Vista are because

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Wish it wasn't true....

Foreigners leaving Mexico due to crime
December 11, 2012

Translated and summarized by Fulano from an article in El Ocidental

Chapala, Jalisco. – Increasingly unpunished crimes in Lake Chapala are pushing foreigners to leave and return home, while others are left to speak out and complain of the slowness of the justice system, which ultimately leaves criminals free and unpunished and leads to even more unpunished crimes.

Just in colonia Chula Vista, of Lake Chapala, 44 out of 300 houses were robbed.

And now there is no contact with the public authorities. The only citizen crime attention desk there is has disappeared and the crimes continue.

They say that going to the public prosecutor starts a difficult path, because few cases are presented before a judge.

The conclusion is simple: “The system does not work for us or for Mexicans,” said attorney Paul East Razza.

Sandra M. Loridans, via a translator, said: “Justice delayed is justice denied” and explained that “when we came here from another country, we realized that it is another system of justice, but we had great hope that we would be safe here, that the authorities would protect us like any other Mexicans in their country. We have the same rights under the law, and I know it, but the rules of justice do not always go in the right direction.”

She said there are several cases where Americans bought their homes, invested all their life’s savings and recorded their properties in the Public Property Registry, but have found other people living in them. They have rights to their property, and the Americans have had to invest the remaining savings they had to live on for the rest of their lives to hire lawyers. Some of these cases have been in the courts for years without resolution.

“I don’t do this because I love this country, but have been forced to by crime,” she added.

Link to original report: Foreigners leaving Mexico due to crime |
As usual Paul East Raza is exagerating, he knows very well that most robberies in Chula Vista and elsewhere are caused by owners who don't lock the doors when going out or give keys to staff they don't really know. I have lived here for 20 years and have never experienced a robbery. Yes there are petty thefts like everywhere, Lake Chapala and its subdivisons are fare safer than any place in the States. Yes there is crime but foreigners are not targeted, but unfortunately like elsewhere if in the wrong place at the wrong time it does happen. Americans are not leaving Mexico because of crime, they are leaving because of the monetary crisis that left them cash stricken. New immigration rules also disqualify many americans who have not enough income or savings.

Foreigners just like Mexicans when buying property here must do their homework. To start you only deal with a Notary, its the only way to legally buy and sell properties in Mexico. Notaries are responsable to research titles and make sure that no liens exist against a property, they also are responsible to make sure no money such as taxes etc are owned. If using the official channels nobody looses his property, and by the way its downright irresponsible to invest all its life savings into a property, be it Mexico or elsewhere.

Come down to Lake Chapala and enjoy our paradise on earth, away from the stress back home in the States. Make sure you learn some Spanish, evenso many speak English here, you get around much better speaking the local language.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:04 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapala160 View Post
As usual Paul East Raza is exagerating, he knows very well that most robberies in Chula Vista and elsewhere are caused by owners who don't lock the doors when going out or give keys to staff they don't really know. I have lived here for 20 years and have never experienced a robbery. Yes there are petty thefts like everywhere, Lake Chapala and its subdivisons are fare safer than any place in the States. Yes there is crime but foreigners are not targeted, but unfortunately like elsewhere if in the wrong place at the wrong time it does happen. Americans are not leaving Mexico because of crime, they are leaving because of the monetary crisis that left them cash stricken. New immigration rules also disqualify many americans who have not enough income or savings.

Foreigners just like Mexicans when buying property here must do their homework. To start you only deal with a Notary, its the only way to legally buy and sell properties in Mexico. Notaries are responsable to research titles and make sure that no liens exist against a property, they also are responsible to make sure no money such as taxes etc are owned. If using the official channels nobody looses his property, and by the way its downright irresponsible to invest all its life savings into a property, be it Mexico or elsewhere.

Come down to Lake Chapala and enjoy our paradise on earth, away from the stress back home in the States. Make sure you learn some Spanish, evenso many speak English here, you get around much better speaking the local language.
Odd article since Sandra and Henri Loridan still live in Ajijic where Henri practices law.

The foreigners who are moving are not moving because the new INM rules affect them. Those who already live in Mexico are grandfathered in. They do not need to show the new financial requirements.

What concerns them is there are so few new foreigners moving to Mexico and that limits to whom they can sell their property. The Tapitos (Guadalajara) are making a killing buying property from foreigners, foreigners who must move because of health or family are forced to sell for far cheaper than they would have 2 years ago.

Now there are new banking regulations caused by the U.S. but affecting banking in Mexico. Banks will no longer accept U.S. checks so people are spending more money on ATM machines paying fees and higher exchange rates. It doesn't seem like a big deal but it is to people who live on Social Security.

It is difficult for foreigners to report crime. It is not like up North where a cop takes a complaint. We have to go into the Ministry, take a translator and make a long statement upon which nothing will be done anyway. There have been a few murder/robberies at Lake Chapala which greatly concern foreigners.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
on the other hand I never understood that attraction to a polluted lake where it is impossible to swim or enjoy other water leisure (no beach) and besides where winter temperatures can drop significatively. I believe there are better places to snowbird (Vallarta anyone?)
Its the climate that is Lake Chapala's attraction and of course all the services expats are used to. If you like humidity Vallarta is fine, for me 3 days in Manzanillo is the max I can support.
By the way Lake Chapala is not polluted, fish and bird life is well alve. Boardwalks have been constructed in many villages and beaches as well.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Odd article since Sandra and Henri Loridan still live in Ajijic where Henri practices law.

The foreigners who are moving are not moving because the new INM rules affect them. Those who already live in Mexico are grandfathered in. They do not need to show the new financial requirements.

What concerns them is there are so few new foreigners moving to Mexico and that limits to whom they can sell their property. The Tapitos (Guadalajara) are making a killing buying property from foreigners, foreigners who must move because of health or family are forced to sell for far cheaper than they would have 2 years ago.

Now there are new banking regulations caused by the U.S. but affecting banking in Mexico. Banks will no longer accept U.S. checks so people are spending more money on ATM machines paying fees and higher exchange rates. It doesn't seem like a big deal but it is to people who live on Social Security.

It is difficult for foreigners to report crime. It is not like up North where a cop takes a complaint. We have to go into the Ministry, take a translator and make a long statement upon which nothing will be done anyway. There have been a few murder/robberies at Lake Chapala which greatly concern foreigners.
Properties have been overvalued, what goes up comes down like everywhere else. Prices now are reasonable and not undervalued. Tapatios getting wealthier are buying up properties and helping the construction industry to build more new homes.

Even in summer going to the local market it sure does not feel like there are less foreigners here. Also local banks still accept US checks with the proper documentation. People caught in the banking mess mostly had no bank accounts or changed checks at exchange houses which cannot change for cash anymore.

I have lived in many places, Europe, Australia, Brazil and Canada just to mention a few, sofar only in Mexico I have escaped any robberies and I am a regular for 20 years.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:53 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapala160 View Post
Properties have been overvalued, what goes up comes down like everywhere else. Prices now are reasonable and not undervalued. Tapatios getting wealthier are buying up properties and helping the construction industry to build more new homes.

Even in summer going to the local market it sure does not feel like there are less foreigners here. Also local banks still accept US checks with the proper documentation. People caught in the banking mess mostly had no bank accounts or changed checks at exchange houses which cannot change for cash anymore.

I have lived in many places, Europe, Australia, Brazil and Canada just to mention a few, sofar only in Mexico I have escaped any robberies and I am a regular for 20 years.

I don't know where you live but it is not at Lake Chapala. The people who have accounts at local MX banks cannot cash their U.S. checks as they could a couple of months ago.

Several other threads on the following website report the same problems with U.S. checks. It is not due to MX accounts but because of U.S. laws and the Mexican interpretation of those laws.

No more cashing checks at Intercam - Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara - Chapala.com Webboard

You are not a foreigner or you would not be glad the real estate market is adjusting itself and the Tapitos are able to buy property cheap. Why would it make you happy that elderly people put their life savings in a Mexican property and they lose thousands when they sell?

The market has changed because most of the customer base disappeared. That is an huge adjustment to a smaller customer base.

Because you haven't been robbed in Mexico that means what? I haven't been burgled or robbed either in almost 10 years of living full time here, so what? I know many who have and it happened to them several times. I think one of the ways to be safer is not to have any employees. No maids and no gardeners who know where things are. All the people I know who have been robbed had maids and gardeners.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I don't know where you live but it is not at Lake Chapala. The people who have accounts at local MX banks cannot cash their U.S. checks as they could a couple of months ago.

Several other threads on the following website report the same problems with U.S. checks. It is not due to MX accounts but because of U.S. laws and the Mexican interpretation of those laws.

No more cashing checks at Intercam - Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara - Chapala.com Webboard

You are not a foreigner or you would not be glad the real estate market is adjusting itself and the Tapitos are able to buy property cheap. Why would it make you happy that elderly people put their life savings in a Mexican property and they lose thousands when they sell?

The market has changed because most of the customer base disappeared. That is an huge adjustment to a smaller customer base.

Because you haven't been robbed in Mexico that means what? I haven't been burgled or robbed either in almost 10 years of living full time here, so what? I know many who have and it happened to them several times. I think one of the ways to be safer is not to have any employees. No maids and no gardeners who know where things are. All the people I know who have been robbed had maids and gardeners.
I have a maid and a gardener, you have to deal with people you know, most robberies are not made by employees but outside jobs, and most people who get robbed are careless like on Sunday morning going to church leaving properties unlocked or going for a fast trip to get groceries nearby.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:

I sure do live on Lake Chapala and yes you cannot cash a check in USD anymore, but you still can deposit one in your local bank account and you pay not one cent for the service. You get a locked-in rate the day you deposit but you can access the funds only within 21 days.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:44 AM

20 posts, read 43,846 times
I managed to stay on one of the Chapala forums for almost a week before I was banned. I made my first post about finding land in the mountains in Cordoba. Immediately one of the regulars called me a greenhorn, said he had land he wanted to sell me, told me the dormant volcano would erupt and generally insulted my intelligence.

I, in no uncertain terms, told him where to get off. I got a warning about language and did not use any further offensive words. Three days later, I was banned for what I said to this clown.

Everyone in these mountains uses the abundant rocks from the riverbed and that no permits are needed to build their homes. I mentioned this and then got a lecture about how I need to get a permit to build there (which no one does, it's not even in a village) and that I couldn't use the rocks that everyone else uses.

I can't for the life of me understand why someone would move to Mexico and then try to change it to the United States or Canada. The people who were lecturing me knew nothing about me or the area I am moving to.

You might as well find a retirement community in the US if you want to be surrounded with grumpy old Americans who want to wag their finger at someone. A few were civil, but the most outspoken were rude and arrogant. I prefer the real Mexico.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:20 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas_Montoya View Post
I managed to stay on one of the Chapala forums for almost a week before I was banned. I made my first post about finding land in the mountains in Cordoba. Immediately one of the regulars called me a greenhorn, said he had land he wanted to sell me, told me the dormant volcano would erupt and generally insulted my intelligence.

I, in no uncertain terms, told him where to get off. I got a warning about language and did not use any further offensive words. Three days later, I was banned for what I said to this clown.

Everyone in these mountains uses the abundant rocks from the riverbed and that no permits are needed to build their homes. I mentioned this and then got a lecture about how I need to get a permit to build there (which no one does, it's not even in a village) and that I couldn't use the rocks that everyone else uses.

I can't for the life of me understand why someone would move to Mexico and then try to change it to the United States or Canada. The people who were lecturing me knew nothing about me or the area I am moving to.

You might as well find a retirement community in the US if you want to be surrounded with grumpy old Americans who want to wag their finger at someone. A few were civil, but the most outspoken were rude and arrogant. I prefer the real Mexico.
For the real Mexico i suggest you take a trip to Los Altos de Jalisco (San Miguel el Alto, Jalostotitlan, Arandas, Tepatitlan, San Juan de los Lagos, Lagos de Moreno, etc). horse racing capital, home of most tequileras, great patron (saint celebrations) "fiestas". region where "La guerra cristera" was fought, home of meny martyrs and saints (including Santo Toribio Romo, Fray Reginaldo, Padre Esqueda, and La Virgen de San Juan. here you can see Ranches full of cattle, corn fields, agave plantings, etc. this is the real mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico