U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 11:37 PM

490 posts, read 1,537,658 times

Advertisements

Mexico City
Monterrey
Guadalajara
Puebla
Leon
Juarez
Tijuana
Queretaro
Cancun
Morelia

These Mexican cities most resemble what US cities? (in these criterias). I like knowing about Mexican cities. Also when I named the cities, I want to include the metro areas of the cities. Meaning I count Guadalajara-Zapopan-Tonala-Tlaquepaque as one city same with Mexico City-Neza city-Naucalpan-Ecatepec, I consider these one city

Economy
COL
Culture
People
Recreation
History
Arquitecture
Skyline
Food
Weather
Friendly People
Which city to you like better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 12:49 AM

23 posts, read 38,649 times
I been to DF, Monte, gdl,Leon,puebla,and Quere,juarez and TJ just can't compare to american cities despite many of these are not poor cities and have modern buildings.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:00 AM

4,370 posts, read 4,365,623 times
I can't think of any cities in Mexico that resemble US cities, maybe as a long shot Tijuana's hillside neighborhoods remind me of San Francisco's hillside homes.

I do, however, feel that San Antonio, Texas resembles many Mexican cities with the Cathedral of San Ferando, Main Plaza, and Court house being in the center of the city is is the case with many Mexican cities. Not to many US cities will have this.

Last edited by malcorub16; 11-24-2013 at 02:09 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 06:49 PM

490 posts, read 1,537,658 times
But come on, I thought that Monterrey was like a city in Texas...like Houston or Dallas. I've been to Monterrey and I thought it was more americanized. I think to say that Monterrey doesn't look like any city in the US is being very oblivious.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:03 PM

10,169 posts, read 10,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
But come on, I thought that Monterrey was like a city in Texas...like Houston or Dallas. I've been to Monterrey and I thought it was more americanized. I think to say that Monterrey doesn't look like any city in the US is being very oblivious.
"Coahuila and Texas" was one of the constituent states of the newly independent United Mexican States under its 1824 Constitution, and included Texas, Coahuila, and Nuevo León. Later in the same year Nuevo León was detached, but Texas remained a part of the state until 1835, when it seceded to form the Republic of Texas. Monclova was the capital of the state from 1833 to 1835.In 1840 Coahuila briefly became a member of the short lived Republic of the Rio Grande.
In 2010 population,
Coahuila 2.748 million
Nuevo León 4.653 million
Tamaulipas 3.269 million

So there is a strong historical connection between Monterrey and Texas.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:30 PM

5,165 posts, read 9,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
You are just trying to push something that isn't there. Mexican cities for the most part don't have freeways like American cities and its hard for them to develop or even look the same as a result. Also don't forget the strict zoning in the US which hardly exists in Mexico and is "overlooked" if it does exist and you just aren't going to see similarities. Houses are not built the same, retail businesses are not laid out the same, the use of public transportation is no the same...just a few of many factors which make it impossible to confuse an American and Mexican city.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:29 AM

133 posts, read 476,040 times
Hermosillo and Tucson are very similar.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Carre...ed=0CDEQ8gEwAA

Hermosillo is actually nicer than a lot of Southwestern cities in the States (Yuma, Bakersfield, El Centro, Fresno, El Paso).

Last edited by mayonaise; 11-25-2013 at 02:03 AM..

Old 11-25-2013, 11:00 AM

4,370 posts, read 4,365,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
Hermosillo is actually nicer than a lot of Southwestern cities in the States (Yuma, Bakersfield, El Centro, Fresno, El Paso).
Many cities in Mexico are nicer that all of those.

OP, even Mexico City with its Periferico "freeway loop" and modern skyscrapers (which are very spreadout compared to US City Skylines) just doesn't remind me of any city in the USA. It's just different, to me its more resembles cities in Europe than the USA.

The US is hard to compare to other counties as well, not just Mexico. Not even Sydney or London resemble any US City.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:12 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,401,683 times
There is no comparison. None. There are a few Mexican cities in which some areas have been developed to resemble American cities, like a strip mall along a busy road, but they are few and far between.

You can drive the length of Mexico, and not see a single private residence in a town with a visible front lawn not behind a cement wall or, if they're rich enough, an iron fence.

There might be a few where the climate is similar (Tucson /Hermosillo), but generally, no place in Mexico has a climate that is analogous to any place in the USA.

There is probably no border in the world where the cities are as dissimilar on the two sides of the border, except maybe Israel. Possibly Argentina/Bolivia, but even there, there is less contrast, since Argentina is still Latin, although much richer..

Last edited by jtur88; 11-25-2013 at 05:39 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 06:15 PM

15 posts, read 16,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is no comparison. None. There are a few Mexican cities in which some areas have been developed to resemble American cities, like a strip mall along a busy road, but they are few and far between.

You can drive the length of Mexico, and not see a single private residence in a town with a visible front lawn not behind a cement wall or, if they're rich enough, an iron fence.

There might be a few where the climate is similar (Tucson /Hermosillo), but generally, no place in Mexico has a climate that is analogous to any place in the USA.

There is probably no border in the world where the cities are as dissimilar on the two sides of the border, except maybe Israel. Possibly Argentina/Bolivia, but even there, there is less contrast, since Argentina is still Latin, although much richer..
1. I would rather live in Hermosillo than Bakersfield. I think Hermosillo is richer than Bakersfield.
2. I think Hermosillo, due it its layout, grid, and density, resembles are American city far more than a city in Central Mexico (Leon or Puebla).
3. This neighborhood in Hermosillo could anywhere in the Southwest.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Aveni...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or