Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,374,185 times

Advertisements

Isn't the Yucatan Peninsula water warm year around? Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum? I like the beaches in the Yucatan more then the Pacific, they have the Caribbean look, soft very white sand and beautiful clear aqua water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,666,753 times
The water in the Gulf of California is extremely warm in summer, especially compared to the Pacific coast. I'd say most of Baja is warm enough in summer-autumn though.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:48 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,799,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The water in the Gulf of California is extremely warm in summer, especially compared to the Pacific coast. I'd say most of Baja is warm enough in summer-autumn though.
Baja water is still cool. To get really warm water you have to get down close to Acapulco. Of course, for me, water temps below 70 is cold, don't know about anyone else

Old 01-26-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Baja water is still cool. To get really warm water you have to get down close to Acapulco. Of course, for me, water temps below 70 is cold, don't know about anyone else
Even Cabo san Lucas? I would assume at least the southern half of Baja is relatively warm. I mean even San Diego in August-September is like over 70, which is pretty swimmable.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:06 PM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
If you follow the temps for Cabo in winter, you might be surprised how cool it can get in winter, with low's sometimes in the mid-high 40's. I was once researched Mazatlan, I was shocked to see that temp's can fall into the low 40's there at night in winter.

Myself, if I truly wanted warm ocean water in swim in, I'd go on down to Puerto Vallarta/Acapulco, just to be safe!

Old 01-26-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If you follow the temps for Cabo in winter, you might be surprised how cool it can get in winter, with low's sometimes in the mid-high 40's. I was once researched Mazatlan, I was shocked to see that temp's can fall into the low 40's there at night in winter.

Myself, if I truly wanted warm ocean water in swim in, I'd go on down to Puerto Vallarta/Acapulco, just to be safe!
Water temperatures (and water temps are usually measured at the surface, which changes a lot more than even a few metres below) are usually warmer in winter and cooler in summer than air temps. In Perth, for instance, which has winters similar to LA, even in winter water is swimmable, being about 18C (65F) or so. I've swum at Rottnest island in June, and compared to the air the water actually felt WARM once you get used to the initial chill. It's the getting out that's a problem.

In the Eastern US, however, waters get far too cold to swim for most of the year. In NYC they're 5C during the coldest and about 23C at the warmest. Air temps average 0C in Jan and 24C in July.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:31 PM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Each body's temperature is different, and how one reacts to water temperatures. I have a friend who will jump into the ocean in southern California in summer, and can't understand why I want join her! To me, it's freezing, to her it's comfortable!

Old 01-26-2014, 11:39 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,799,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Even Cabo san Lucas? I would assume at least the southern half of Baja is relatively warm. I mean even San Diego in August-September is like over 70, which is pretty swimmable.
Yes. Well cool water as in 60°F. It's shaded green in the summer time which means 60s°F. The Pacific is a pretty cool ocean in North America, until you get to around Mazatlán, Mexico. Then it really starts to warm up until you get to Ecuador, where it cools off again. The "hot pool" is in central Mexico to Panama which is in between the California and Humboldt Currents (upwelling currents)

Old 01-26-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes. Well cool water as in 60°F. It's shaded green in the summer time which means 60s°F. The Pacific is a pretty cool ocean in North America, until you get to around Mazatlán, Mexico. Then it really starts to warm up until you get to Ecuador, where it cools off again. The "hot pool" is in central Mexico to Panama which is in between the California and Humboldt Currents (upwelling currents)
Interesting...yes the Pacific coast of South American, with the Humboldt Current, is even more extreme. Lima has a pretty bizarre climate. At 16'S it's well within the tropics (similar to Cairns, Australia) yet January highs are below 20C/68F, even cooler than Los Angeles at 33'N! It gets hardly any rain, yet very low sunshine due to the constant mist-like fog, which is like extremely light rain.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 PM

5,647 posts, read 11,202,844 times
Here's a link to a real time global ocean water temperature map.

Marine Weather : Weather Underground

Right now we are approximately in "mid winter" in the northern hemisphere, with peak low ocean water temps. Notice the temperature line that begins just south of the Baja peninsula. Also notice the dark red water temps as you go south on the Pacific Coast from roughly Ixtapa to Guatemala. You can also see the warmer water temps on the Caribbean side of the Yucutan Peninsula at this time of year, compared to the Gulf side of the Yucutan.

I've been to Tulum and Cozumel at this time of year and ocean surface temperature is comfortable for swimming for most people including me. In the late afternoon if the wind kicks up it can feel cool when you go for a swim and then get out of the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico