Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 05:11 PM

27,453 posts, read 1,054,960 times

Advertisements

I have read explanations of how Guadalupe Day came to be, but I don't know what kind of day it is to you the "average" Mexican national. I am defining average as being any Mexican national who responds to my inquiry.
I can't think of anything in my country similar to the Juan Diego story, so I am at a loss for what the day means for different Mexicans, and I would appreciate hearing what you have to share about this aspect of Mexican culture.

Some leading questions:
Does it mean anything to non-Catholics?
Is the significance of the day the same for folks in the border states as it is in the D.F. area?
How do you spend that day?
Is it a day of worship?
Are you a pilgrim for the day?
Do you work or go to school?
Do you gather with family or friends?

Is the icon/image on any of your possessions? Would that be poor etiquette, or is it viewed similar to so much cross jewelry (cross, not crass)? I have seen the icon dangling from the rearview mirror of the occasional car, but this has been in the U.S. The image appears in an old pop song video by American Gwen Stefani, but I do not understand why.

Thank you for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 2,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniemae View Post
I have read explanations of how Guadalupe Day came to be, but I don't know what kind of day it is to you the "average" Mexican national. I am defining average as being any Mexican national who responds to my inquiry.
I can't think of anything in my country similar to the Juan Diego story, so I am at a loss for what the day means for different Mexicans, and I would appreciate hearing what you have to share about this aspect of Mexican culture.

Some leading questions:
Is the significance of the day the same for folks in the border states as it is in the D.F. area?
Is it a day of worship?

Is the icon/image on any of your possessions? Would that be poor etiquette, or is it viewed similar to so much cross jewelry (cross, not crass)? I have seen the icon dangling from the rearview mirror of the occasional car, but this has been in the U.S. The image appears in an old pop song video by American Gwen Stefani, but I do not understand why.

Thank you for sharing.

a bit late but:

1-If you are not catholic there irs little significance, i know a few Adventists (adventistas in spanish) who still whoship the Virgen de Guadalupe but they used to be catholics before.

2-If depends if you are a fervent catholic or not.

3-Normaly, but is very common to assist to mass that day and go early in the morning to sing the Mañanitas to the virgin. (sometimes event at midnight)

4-yes

5-many people do make some pilgrimage that day to the Basilica de Guadalupe en Mexico City or the local church named after the virgen de Guadalupe.

6- 12 of dicember is not an official national holiday, so yes, we do have to work and go to school that day.

7- At the church, yes.

8- the image of the virgin is very common in the mexican wallets in a little piece of paper ( for mans). The imagen of the virgin in clothes normally is more like a statement, "we are mexicans and this is our mother". The Gwen Stefani guadalupegate was very unpopular here in Mexico, because is a religious icon very revered here and we dont like it in pop songs videos, no matter the nationality of the singer.

sorry fo the bad grammar.

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-12-2014 at 02:33 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 10:15 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniemae View Post

Some leading questions:
Is it a day of worship?

Thank you for sharing.
It means I get to call my grandma and wish her a happy saints day ( dia de tu santo)

Old 09-12-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaratthustra View Post
a bit late but:

1-If you are not catholic there irs little significance, i know a few Adventists (adventistas in spanish) who still whoship the Virgen de Guadalupe but they used to be catholics before.

2-If depends if you are a fervent catholic or not.

3-Normaly, but is very common to assist to mass that day and go early in the morning to sing the Mañanitas to the virgin. (sometimes event at midnight)

4-yes

5-many people do make some pilgrimage that day to the Basilica de Guadalupe en Mexico City or the local church named after the virgen de Guadalupe.

6- 12 of dicember is not an official national holiday, so yes, we do have to work and go to school that day.

7- At the church, yes.

8- the image of the virgin is very common in the mexican wallets in a little piece of paper ( for mans). The imagen of the virgin in clothes normally is more like a statement, "we are mexicans and this is our mother". The Gwen Stefani guadalupegate was very unpopular here in Mexico, because is a religious icon very revered here and we dont like it in pop songs videos, no matter the nationality of the singer.

sorry fo the bad grammar.
Thanks for responding, Zaratthustra. And no, it's not late at all. I understand better now.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
It means I get to call my grandma and wish her a happy saints day ( dia de tu santo)
I never thought of that. Name day? Is it?

Old 09-12-2014, 11:57 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,183 times
Since many people in Mexico have either biblical names or are named in honor of a saint, people celebrate both their birthdays and the day of the saint they were named afte. For many it is the same day since Mexicans.have a habit of just naming their kid after the patron saint of whatver day they were born on.

The well known Mexican birthday song 'Las Mañanitas' actually says 'el dia de tu santo' and not 'cumpleaños'

Las Mananitas (Spanish)
Estas son las mañanitas que cantaba el rey David.
Hoy por ser día de tu santo, te las cantamos a ti.

Despierta mi bien, despierta, mira que ya amaneció
ya los pajaritos cantan la luna ya se metió.

Qué linda está la mañana en que vengo a saludarte
venimos todos con gusto y placer a felicitarte.

El día en que tu naciste nacieron todas las flores
y en la pila del bautismo cantaron los ruiseñores

Ya viene amaneciendo, ya la luz del día nos dio.
Levántate de mañana mira que ya amaneció.

ENGLISH

This is the morning song that King David used to sing.
Today being the day of your saint, we sing it to you

Wake up my dearest, wake up, see now that the day has dawned
the little birds are singing, the moon has finally set.

How lovely is this morning, when I come to greet you
we all come with joy and pleasure to congratulate you.

The very day you were born all the flowers first bloomed
and in the baptismal font all the nightingales sung.

The dawn has come my darling, and the sunlight is here for us.
Rise and shine up with the morning and you'll see that here's the dawn

Last edited by RudyOD; 09-13-2014 at 12:17 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 10:05 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,740 times
do what's above. ^

Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,533 times
Nothing. When I lived in Mexico I used to love the day because for some reason the company gave it as a holiday even though it wasn't required (I'm guessing some union benefit they had to extend to FTEs).

Now... meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico