Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 03:34 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I've got a week between two jobs that I'm starting and would like to get input on a quick piece of travel I'm working on. Here is a quick rundown. The one debatable issue is that I'm leaning toward renting a car for a week rather than utilizing the bus systems. The reason for this is that over the 12-hours or so of driving I have planned, there are things I really want to stop off for and with a bus, I know some of this would be hampered. But, if you guys feel it would be necessary to take a bus instead, I'm absolutely open to this advice. My main concern isn't so much unscrupulous car rental agencies, but moreso the safety of roadways and highways in the rural areas. It will be quite clear that I am not from Mexico.

1. Fly from SFO to Guadelajara
Guadelajara for 2-nights

2. Drive from Guadelajara to Guanajuato (stopping off along the way in Leon for an afternoon)
Guanajuato for 2-nights

3. Drive from Guanajuato to Morelia (stopping off along the way in Irapuato, Patzucaro, Uruapan)
Morelia for 1-night

4. Drive from Morelia to D.F.
D.F. for 4-nights

A few questions:
1. Car rental over bus and safety in rural areas since it'll be obvious I'm a tourist - any concerns?
2. The travel through parts of Michoacan. Any concerns?
3. Anything you'd recommend me stopping off at along the way?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 06:29 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Part 3 is probably not a one day drive unless stopping by means just driving through. Is there a reason for going to Uruapan? That will add time and get you into the sketchiest area on your trip, although taking bigger roads it's not really that dangerous.

The rest looks fine. A car is better than the bus, but much more expensive that's all. The bus schedules may not work well with some legs of your trip, getting to and from Guanajuato for example can involve a couple of transfers and 2nd class buses. On the other hand parking in some cities will not be fun either so there are some tradeoffs.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I suppose Uruapan isn't necessarily vital, but I found Templo San Juan Parangaricutiro quite fascinating. Maybe we can easily cut it out. Would you have a preference between visiting Morelia for an afternoon or Querétaro for an afternoon?

Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
I'd say pretty similar locales really, about the same scale for each centro historico. An afternoon in each would be very pleasant. I have spent a lot more time in Queretaro just being that I was usually based in DF during my times in Mexico so location played a role in it.

As for Uruapan and Michoacan its a shame they are not the safest places anymore. Driving the roads of Michoacan used to be a real joy. Uruapan is certainly something you can miss, but it has its charm and if you did go there you probably would enjoy it. It is well documented about how there is insecurity there and you might heed those warnings, but realistically like most of the crime warnings in Mexico its probably making people way more cautious than they need to be.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:14 AM

111 posts, read 266,992 times
I've rented a vehicle in Mexico before. From Hertz and Budget. I had no problems at all so you should be ok.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:27 AM

305 posts, read 750,302 times
Be sure to have money ready for tolls.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:54 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3dw View Post
Be sure to have money ready for tolls.
Lots of tolls. Last time we were there ( about 3 years ago) they would only take Mexican currency, no American money. We had checked the week before we went, and American currency was accepted, but after we crossed, and got in a ways, there were signs on all the booths stating " No American currency accepted". Made for an interesting trip to say the least.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:07 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Lots of loose Mexican change and a roll of TP in the glove box....if NOT you will learn the Hard Way for sure.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Sounds great, I'm jealous. Make sure you share your stories.

Only piece of advice I'd add is lose the car once you get to DF. You don't need it, and might end up just stuck in traffic rather than enjoying your trip. The Turibus is nice for sightseeing. Subway for speedier transport to definite destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Hey everyone!

I've got a week between two jobs that I'm starting and would like to get input on a quick piece of travel I'm working on. Here is a quick rundown. The one debatable issue is that I'm leaning toward renting a car for a week rather than utilizing the bus systems. The reason for this is that over the 12-hours or so of driving I have planned, there are things I really want to stop off for and with a bus, I know some of this would be hampered. But, if you guys feel it would be necessary to take a bus instead, I'm absolutely open to this advice. My main concern isn't so much unscrupulous car rental agencies, but moreso the safety of roadways and highways in the rural areas. It will be quite clear that I am not from Mexico.

1. Fly from SFO to Guadelajara
Guadelajara for 2-nights

2. Drive from Guadelajara to Guanajuato (stopping off along the way in Leon for an afternoon)
Guanajuato for 2-nights

3. Drive from Guanajuato to Morelia (stopping off along the way in Irapuato, Patzucaro, Uruapan)
Morelia for 1-night

4. Drive from Morelia to D.F.
D.F. for 4-nights

A few questions:
1. Car rental over bus and safety in rural areas since it'll be obvious I'm a tourist - any concerns?
2. The travel through parts of Michoacan. Any concerns?
3. Anything you'd recommend me stopping off at along the way?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-29-2013, 10:01 AM

Thanks a ton for the advice, everyone. I appreciate it a lot.

I put together a little map on google to show the route. I've made a few alterations since the route began and removed the travel through Michoacán in favor of more time being spent in Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende and Querétaro.

Current itinerary: http://bit.ly/19xG50Z

I'll definitely keep lots of Pesos and coins handy and will put some toilet paper in the glove box. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico