Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:52 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times

Advertisements

People from different nationalities are there-not only Mexico and USA. Suppose someone from Malaysia passport is there on the train, not only they check visa but also make they fill I-94 form. If someone is on Student visa, then they check on computers SEVIS status and verify from University records. Fingerprints are required which are taken while giving visa interviews and again fingerprints are taken and matched with the records. Bags are inspected to see whether noone is bringing any meat/dairy products. It can take upto 1 hour or even more at border. Noteveryone on train is a US citizen who just has to flask his DL. What if there are students from India on that train? For all this, you need Border clearance facilites.

For train between Paris and London, a foreigner either will have schengen visa or UK visa. But are we allowing any foreigner with Mexico visa straight into USA???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 10:30 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
People from different nationalities are there-not only Mexico and USA. Suppose someone from Malaysia passport is there on the train, not only they check visa but also make they fill I-94 form. If someone is on Student visa, then they check on computers SEVIS status and verify from University records. Fingerprints are required which are taken while giving visa interviews and again fingerprints are taken and matched with the records. Bags are inspected to see whether noone is bringing any meat/dairy products. It can take upto 1 hour or even more at border. Noteveryone on train is a US citizen who just has to flask his DL. What if there are students from India on that train? For all this, you need Border clearance facilites.

For train between Paris and London, a foreigner either will have schengen visa or UK visa. But are we allowing any foreigner with Mexico visa straight into USA???
How you do in the airports? When you fly from Mexico to USA, no matter what nationality you are, before boarding you have to show a valid passport and U.S. visa, once you get to the United States they check you out and decide to let you in to the country or come back on the same plane.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 AM

305 posts, read 750,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
My girlfriend and I took the Eurostar from Paris to London and back to Paris. I have a US passport and she has a Mexican passport. Screenings are screenings, although the US customs are unnecessarily thorough in some regards. Anyway, the idea would be to go through those screenings before you get on the train. I think that would be the way to do it. Then when you get off there is nothing to go through.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:31 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
I don't think anywhere in North America has high-speed intercity rail yet and now the debut is supposed to be between Mexico and the USA? I think it's a fat chance.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:06 PM

460 posts, read 779,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I don't think anywhere in North America has high-speed intercity rail yet and now the debut is supposed to be between Mexico and the USA? I think it's a fat chance.
Well, there is the Amtrak Acela that runs frequently between Washington DC and Boston, stopping at several major cities along the way. NYC to Chicago would be a line that makes sense as well. I'd even explore the option of running an Acela line further south to Miami, hitting a few of the major southern eastern seaboard towns between DC and Miami.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yes, but there is a major change in logistics in having a high speed train with only two stops. You could never build a domestic train with only two stops (except for possibly Los Angeles to Las Vegas). In addition to the travel time, the passengers would save all the time at the border since they could clear customs in Monterrey. Businessmen would be particularly motivated to take the train over the bus or driving.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:31 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Another factor is the toll in Sabinas of 205 pesos (over $15). Also while some people carry Mexican liability insurance, many don't. To buy that insurance on a daily basis is over $10 per day,

The San Diego Trolley began service on July 26, 1981, making it the oldest of the "second generation" light rail systems in the United States. The initial route was a bare bones service running from Tijuana border to downown San Diego downtown. It worked because it was basic no frills transportation, and many people who took didn't have cars,

Between the time of the border crossing, the auto insurance, and the high Mexican tolls, I think n international high speed train may make more sense than a domestic one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico